Author Topic: TWC to Name Blizzards  (Read 14729 times)

Offline IMADreamer

• Forecaster
Re: TWC to Name Blizzards
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2012, 10:50:41 PM »
At first I didn't have much of an opinion on this but now that they've named two storms I think it's stupid as hell.  I've only been watching TWC for Heath Tesch for quite a while now anyway but I might be officially done. 

Anyway we are expecting light showers Brutus tomorrow.  Wish me luck that I survive the deluge.
Hello my name is Jason, I am a Meteorologist, farmer, and auto journalist.
www.infinite-garage.com

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2012, 11:10:58 PM »
Maybe blizzards are best kept at Dairy Queens.   #-o
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2012, 11:27:50 PM »
It is not the original TWC that's for sure!  #-o They have no credibility w/ me and have not had for a long time now.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2012, 11:37:52 AM »
The current Blizzard is called  DRACO.

how many people have called it that outside of the TWC studios?

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2012, 11:56:54 AM »
TWC is stupid.  Can't believe anyone pays any attention to them any more.

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2012, 11:58:23 AM »

I thought I heard that, but I thought they had said derecho.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2012, 01:49:14 PM »
TWC is stupid.  Can't believe anyone pays any attention to them any more.

I can guarantee I do not pay attention to them anymore!! I remember I was sooo excited when they came on the air in May of 1982. My good friend Bill Schubert was one of the original OCM's. Now, they SUCK!!!

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2012, 10:45:53 PM »
I have name for blizzards and the last one probably would get me banned for life from the ranch.

Offline K3JAE

• Contributor
  • Davis VP2 Wireless
    • K3JAE's Weather Station
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2014, 04:49:18 AM »
These clowns, think they know more than NOAA/NWS and attempt at every turn to sound like they are the authority on weather....

Funny thing is, they get their radar info etc. from the ones they try to seem more superior to.... Screw that channel, one I never watch or put one little ounce of trust, respect or importance to. Back in it's original days it was OK to watch that is after you get through the 45 minutes of ridiculous advertisement each hour which has gotten worse over the years.

Let's see, the last time I spent more than 10 seconds watching that trash channel was about 2 years ago.

That's my opinion... If it offends anyone at TWC.... GOOD!!!!

73's de K3JAE

John
K3JAE Weather Station

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2014, 09:30:22 PM »
These clowns, think they know more than NOAA/NWS and attempt at every turn to sound like they are the authority on weather....

Funny thing is, they get their radar info etc. from the ones they try to seem more superior to.... Screw that channel, one I never watch or put one little ounce of trust, respect or importance to. Back in it's original days it was OK to watch that is after you get through the 45 minutes of ridiculous advertisement each hour which has gotten worse over the years.

Let's see, the last time I spent more than 10 seconds watching that trash channel was about 2 years ago.

That's my opinion... If it offends anyone at TWC.... GOOD!!!!

Right on John!!

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2014, 10:45:53 PM »
I thought Draco was a Bond villain...

Offline capeweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.capeweather.com
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2014, 11:03:23 PM »
Who is TWC? You guys are confusing the hell out me! ;)

Chris
Cape Coral, Florida

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2014, 11:13:34 PM »
It is not the original TWC that's for sure!  #-o They have no credibility w/ me and have not had for a long time now.

None of the channels are now what they originally started out to be. They've all degenerated to the lowest common denominator in search of ratings and therefore the almighty advertising dollar... "reality", talk,  and movies... TWC is no different.

CNN used to be all news, HLN was Headline News (30 minutes of rotating headlines), TLC used to be The Learning Channel (Honey Boo Boo ain't about "learnin""). Spike was TNN/The Nashville Network, tractor pulls, farm reports, and line dancing. The Military Channel was Discovery Wings and was all about private flying. Lifetime's weekend programming was all continuing ed type stuff for doctors. History was , gasp, history, not Ax Men. H2 was international history. Discovery and Science were about science. HBO et al showed theater movies, not original series.  Food Network got so far from their core they had to start up Cooking Channel to get back to it. Travel Channel is half about food. Bio is showing, not biographies, but 2 year old hokey "Breaking The Magician's Code" reruns. Animal Planet runs freakin' Treehouse Masters... A&E was Arts and Entertainment, not a night full of Storage Wars.

I'll wager, if Weather Nation makes it big time as the "new" TWC, in 5 years, they will sell out too.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 11:29:36 PM by SLOweather »

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2014, 11:51:00 PM »
CNN used to be all news, HLN was Headline News (30 minutes of rotating headlines), TLC used to be The Learning Channel (Honey Boo Boo ain't about "learnin""). Spike was TNN/The Nashville Network, tractor pulls, farm reports, and line dancing. The Military Channel was Discovery Wings and was all about private flying. Lifetime's weekend programming was all continuing ed type stuff for doctors. History was , gasp, history, not Ax Men. H2 was international history. Discovery and Science were about science. HBO et al showed theater movies, not original series.  Food Network got so far from their core they had to start up Cooking Channel to get back to it. Travel Channel is half about food. Bio is showing, not biographies, but 2 year old hokey "Breaking The Magician's Code" reruns. Animal Planet runs freakin' Treehouse Masters... A&E was Arts and Entertainment, not a night full of Storage Wars.

Food Network far from their core?  Like an apple core?  ROFL

Don't forget, M used to stand for Music in MTV.

I miss Connections on TLC.  That's back when you could learn something on The Learning Channel.

Oh, GSN was Game Show Network.  They used to show classic game shows.  I don't know what you'd call what they show now.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2014, 12:54:04 AM »
I miss Connections on TLC.  That's back when you could learn something on The Learning Channel.

Was an great show. I still look at those program on the web u-tube

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2014, 12:56:49 AM »
It is not the original TWC that's for sure!  #-o They have no credibility w/ me and have not had for a long time now.

None of the channels are now what they originally started out to be. They've all degenerated to the lowest common denominator in search of ratings and therefore the almighty advertising dollar... "reality", talk,  and movies... TWC is no different.

I'll wager, if Weather Nation makes it big time as the "new" TWC, in 5 years, they will sell out too.

It's all homogenization. Things like that are occurring not only in television, but everywhere. An example would be where McDonald's went from burgers and fries to salads, wraps, and wings.

We are now in a culture where everything isn't subjected to a single entity anymore. Big channels, big businesses, and big corporations want to encompass as many subjects as they can because they want more, whether it be more ratings, more green, whatever.
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline ClaireAnderson

• Best free weather app for iPhone & iPad
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2015, 07:41:02 AM »
It is not the original TWC that's for sure!  #-o They have no credibility w/ me and have not had for a long time now.

None of the channels are now what they originally started out to be. They've all degenerated to the lowest common denominator in search of ratings and therefore the almighty advertising dollar... "reality", talk,  and movies... TWC is no different.

CNN used to be all news, HLN was Headline News (30 minutes of rotating headlines), TLC used to be The Learning Channel (Honey Boo Boo ain't about "learnin""). Spike was TNN/The Nashville Network, tractor pulls, farm reports, and line dancing. The Military Channel was Discovery Wings and was all about private flying. Lifetime's weekend programming was all continuing ed type stuff for doctors. History was , gasp, history, not Ax Men. H2 was international history. Discovery and Science were about science. HBO et al showed theater movies, not original series.  Food Network got so far from their core they had to start up Cooking Channel to get back to it. Travel Channel is half about food. Bio is showing, not biographies, but 2 year old hokey "Breaking The Magician's Code" reruns. Animal Planet runs freakin' Treehouse Masters... A&E was Arts and Entertainment, not a night full of Storage Wars.

It's all homogenization. Things like that are occurring not only in television, but everywhere. An example would be where McDonald's went from burgers and fries to salads, wraps, and wings.

We are now in a culture where everything isn't subjected to a single entity anymore. Big channels, big businesses, and big corporations want to encompass as many subjects as they can because they want more, whether it be more ratings, more green, whatever.

Increase your TRPs and earn big bucks! That seems to be the mantra these days!!!
Claire Anderson
http://www.weathermate.net
San Francisco, CA, USA

anything