Author Topic: Barometer swinging  (Read 4824 times)

Offline pwdiver

• Beach Area Weather
  • Senior Contributor
  • My 1972 Challenger
Barometer swinging
« on: January 06, 2013, 07:30:17 AM »
For the last couple of day's I have noticed the barometric pressure go from a low of 1013 mb to 1051mb I dont no what would do this I havent noticed this before unless we had a Hurrican come through then I would see the pressure drop real low. Is there some way to calibrate the station :-|

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: Barometer swinging
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 08:06:03 AM »
For the last couple of day's I have noticed the barometric pressure go from a low of 1013 mb to 1051mb I dont no what would do this I havent noticed this before unless we had a Hurrican come through then I would see the pressure drop real low. Is there some way to calibrate the station :-|

which station do you have?

The rainwise stations have their pressure sensor mounted in the station assembly itself.  You can enter an offset at the display.  You can usually do the same thing if you're running most weather softwares at your pc.

Offline pwdiver

• Beach Area Weather
  • Senior Contributor
  • My 1972 Challenger
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 08:14:56 AM »
my station is the MK-III-LR using a cc-2000 interface

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 08:45:59 AM »
Looking at other stations in the area nobody else had a swing that high so it could just be the sensor.
I would readjust it to the closest NWS station and watch it for a couple days. If it gets crazy again then you may have to order another sensor.

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 08:49:05 AM »
Looking at other stations in the area nobody else had a swing that high so it could just be the sensor.
I would readjust it to the closest NWS station and watch it for a couple days. If it gets crazy again then you may have to order another sensor.

If the barometer is defective, then I believe the motherboard would have to go back to Rainwise.  You may want to call Rainwise support if it continues to act up.  But as mentioned, verify using a local reliable source before you assume your pressure is wrong.

Offline pwdiver

• Beach Area Weather
  • Senior Contributor
  • My 1972 Challenger
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 09:19:02 AM »
i just got through adjusting the barometer to make the NWS its about 20 miles from Ill see what it does. :grin:

Offline pwdiver

• Beach Area Weather
  • Senior Contributor
  • My 1972 Challenger
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 06:32:26 PM »
I guess I have issue's with the Barometer after I adjusted it to be close to what the NWS had mine went from a low of 1003 mb yesterday to a high of 1074 today I dont think that's possible. I will be contacting Rainwise :-(

Offline pwdiver

• Beach Area Weather
  • Senior Contributor
  • My 1972 Challenger
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 06:37:31 PM »
I just read a post from someone else about the Barometer messing up, I checked the battery voltage it's showing only 5.55 volt's I believe this is a little low,I Will try a different battery Tuesday. :-)

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 07:40:19 PM »
I just read a post from someone else about the Barometer messing up, I checked the battery voltage it's showing only 5.55 volt's I believe this is a little low,I Will try a different battery Tuesday. :-)

Hi pwdiver...

I too had an issue with the barometer being messed up on the mother board. Rainwise sent me a replacement with no hassles and all is well now.

By the way, I went to view your weather site but got a message it is not available. Is that the correct web address?

Don in Ohio

Offline pwdiver

• Beach Area Weather
  • Senior Contributor
  • My 1972 Challenger
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 04:50:38 PM »
I had one a good while back claremontweather.com but only had one of the Wunderground weather stickers or what ever its called posted on it I would love to do one I see so many with there own sites set up with there own format. I might try one again at some point. Thanks :-|

Offline mfd38

• Millis, MA Current Conditions and Forecasts
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 06:25:34 PM »
I am currently having the same issue with my barometer on the RainWise MK-III-LR, very erratic readings especially during a rise or fall of the barometric pressure. I have reached out to RainWise via email, have yet to hear back from them. I will end up calling them when I get a moment.

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 06:43:33 PM »
From what I understand after talking to Rainwise, the pressure problem is related to temperature compensation or lack thereof.  What I was seeing was an inaccurate rise when the temperature dropped and a drop when the temperature rose.  This is all due to the fact that the presssure sensor is on the mother motherboard which sits inside the sensor assembly outdoors.  Unlike most other stations which have their pressure sensor inside the display unit.

Go ahead and give Rainwise support call.  I'm sure they can make it right. :grin:

Offline mfd38

• Millis, MA Current Conditions and Forecasts
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 07:35:11 PM »
Good info. I have not studied it too closely to see the relationship with the temperature change.

Thanks!

Offline pwdiver

• Beach Area Weather
  • Senior Contributor
  • My 1972 Challenger
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 09:03:39 AM »
Im going to change out my battery today its currently showing 5.53 volts  I think it should be over 6 volts I dont know if this will help the barometer swing. If it doesnt I guess Ill be in contact with Rainwise. :?:

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 12:34:06 PM »
Im going to change out my battery today its currently showing 5.53 volts  I think it should be over 6 volts I dont know if this will help the barometer swing. If it doesnt I guess Ill be in contact with Rainwise. :?:

...5.53 volts is borderline.  If it gets much lower you should see your display drop out.  How old is your battery?  I bought a replacement from Batteries Plus for about $20.

I don't think the battery level and the pressure problem are related.  But if the battery is low and ready to die, it wouldn't hurt to replace it.  Then if the pressure problem continues, then call Rainwise.

Offline pwdiver

• Beach Area Weather
  • Senior Contributor
  • My 1972 Challenger
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 10:39:59 AM »
I just tried a different battery in the station the voltage went from 5.52 to 5.78 and the Barometer reading dropped from 1075 to 998 mb's I believe I will have to get another battery it used to show a voltage of 6.35 volts :shock:

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 12:46:02 PM »
I just tried a different battery in the station the voltage went from 5.52 to 5.78 and the Barometer reading dropped from 1075 to 998 mb's I believe I will have to get another battery it used to show a voltage of 6.35 volts :shock:

The battery output should be at 6.0 volts

Offline pwdiver

• Beach Area Weather
  • Senior Contributor
  • My 1972 Challenger
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 02:21:12 PM »
Just installed a new battery the voltage output is showing 6.43 v/s 5.52 barometer dropped to 1021 mb's from showing 1075mb's Ill see how long this last hopefully the battery was my problem. :roll:

Offline pwdiver

• Beach Area Weather
  • Senior Contributor
  • My 1972 Challenger
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 07:28:54 AM »
With the new battery installed almost 24 hrs ago the barometer has been holding steady no erratic swing's, so the battery must have been the problem. It would usually stop working once it got down toward's 5.8 volts I dont know why it keep broadcasting? Im glad its working once again 8-)

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 07:53:17 PM »
With the new battery installed almost 24 hrs ago the barometer has been holding steady no erratic swing's, so the battery must have been the problem. It would usually stop working once it got down toward's 5.8 volts I dont know why it keep broadcasting? Im glad its working once again 8-)

Good deal!

I hope for the best.  Keep an eye on it (I'm sure you are) especially when the temps move around, up or down.

Offline pwdiver

• Beach Area Weather
  • Senior Contributor
  • My 1972 Challenger
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 05:34:09 PM »
Is it possible to have a humidity reading of 14 when its been raining for 4 day's straight. And raining right now :?:

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 06:07:27 PM »
hmmmmm....anything is possible but that doesn't sound right.  I was going to recommend checking the English/Metric settings, but I'm not sure if that has any affect on the humidity.  Check the owners manual on how to check your settings.

Here's how to do it for the small display:

1. Press and hold AUTO SELECT.
2. WHILE HOLDING AUTO SELECT, press MAX. The display will show
12:00 if this is the original setup or if there is no backup battery and
there has been a power outage. Otherwise it will show the correct time.
The MAX and MIN LED’s will be on and the colon will be blinking.
3. You are now in the setup mode.

TO SET THE DISPLAYS FOR ENGLISH OR METRIC (DISPLAY IN THE SETUP MODE):
TEMPERATURE, DEW POINT AND WIND CHILL
1. The display is in the setup mode.
Press TEMPERATURE. The display will show or .
“0” indicates that the temperatures are in Fahrenheit. "1" indicates that the
3. Press MAX or MIN to change from Metric or English.
4. If you are finished with the setup mode, press AUTO SELECT.

How's the air temperature?