Author Topic: I want to buy a weather station, but......  (Read 714 times)

Offline jerre_77

• Ecowitt HP2560_C - WS90 - WN34S - WH57 - WH51-WH41
I want to buy a weather station, but......
« on: January 21, 2021, 02:13:33 PM »
Hello everyone, as the title stays i want to buy a weather station, I have already read a lot but I cannot see the trees through the forest anymore, my english is not that good, and google translation is not everything ...
My eyes first fell on the following things:
1. https://www.bresser.de/en/Weather-Time/Weather-Center/EXPLORE-SCIENTIFIC-professional-7-in-1-Wi-Fi-Weather-Centre-with-Light-Intensity-and-UV-Measurement-Function.html  369€
2. https://www.garnitechnology.com/garni-2055-arcus/  349€
3. https://www.froggit.de/product_info.php?language=de&info=p392_wh6000-professionelle-wi-fi-internet-funk-wetterstation.html 279€ and 349€
4. https://ambientweather.com/amws8478.html
As far as I'm up to date by reading here, you don't recommend these stations, also would these all be the same just a different name?
I have contacted a Dutch webshop and they say that there is definitely a difference between the Bresser and the Garni, the Garni would have a better thermometer precision sensor from Sensirion, the first question is why is it cheaper?
I want everything these stations can do, + the accessory a ground thermometer and maybe other accessory, but not now, i can buy them in the future. I just want to buy something good, around the price of 300 € to 350 € max. but also something that is not too complicated to install ...
2 other things: I would like to work with the WOW network, but as far as I read everywhere, that wouldn't work with these stations unless you say yes or some other way, even if it is strange because Bresser and Garni have models that support the WOW network.
And last, and now you might laugh. I am allowed to buy a weather station from my wife but she wants one with a nice screen, like that of the above models ... hopefully you understand me.
Thanks in advance, greetings.
Jerre

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: I want to buy a weather station, but......
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 02:28:33 PM »
Hi Jerre and welcome to the forum from Komoka, Canada and who was born in Heist-op-den-Berg (remember going to Herentals when I was quite young).

You can't go wrong with a Davis as far as weather functions, durability, etc.  Lacking a colour nice screen way be the killer :(
Others will give their opinion.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 02:41:52 PM »
Jerre_77,
Welcome to the forum. I would concur that I would not recommend any of those that you listed. Their expandability in terms of sensors, and 3rd party support is very limited. Those are all made by the same manufacture.

To keep in your budget you should look instead to Ecowitt. All Ecowitt stations will upload to MetOffice WOW without the need of any extra hardware/software.

Then if you ever decide to expand and add sensors or configure 3rd party software you'll have many options like, Cumulus MX, Meteobridge, Weather-Display, and WeeWX. The requirement is that you either get a station that already comes with the GW1000 or if you get one with just the display that you add the GW1000 as a sensible extra piece of hardware so that it can communicate with the software.

As PaulMy mentioned, the Davis station would be a step up in terms of quality and durability, but it is a considerable greater investment and the display console is probably not at the level of what your wife is expecting. Unless you opted to roll your own with a tablet and a few software options that do exist. Such as this but not limited to just this:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=41023.0

« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 02:46:52 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline alaskazimm

• <iframe src="https://widget.awekas.at/widget4.php?
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 03:41:56 PM »
Just to add to what galfert said - the Weathersite on a tablet option is great. It does take a separate Raspberry Pi to work correctly (that is you can't run Cumulus and Weathersite from the same Pi), but following the directions in the galfert's post should have you up and running in less than 15 minutes.
Station:Davis VP2 Plus w/WLL
Software: CumulusMX
WU: KAKPORTA5
CWOP: FW7521

Offline jerre_77

• Ecowitt HP2560_C - WS90 - WN34S - WH57 - WH51-WH41
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 03:25:15 AM »
Hello Everybody,
Thanks for your answers, I'm not going to buy the stations I mentioned.
I'm going to wait and see the Ecowitt and Davids stations again, the idea of my own Android screen, I had already thought of that but thought that it was not possible.
Whether I will be able to do it is something else, and to buy things like that and then not get them made, i don't know.... maybe
The problem is that you explained well it in English, but i don't understand everything especially the difficult words and terms.
I'm going to read it again over the weekend and hopefully google translate will help me well and then maybe I risk making something like that myself.

greetings Jerre

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2021, 07:02:04 AM »
Your English is pretty good, especially if you did it all without the help of Google Translate. But if you still have difficulty understanding, you should use Google Translate as it works really well. I use Google Translate for many languages and I am amazed at how well it works. If you use Chrome, you can even have the browser automatically translate. No need to copy/paste.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole