Author Topic: Davis Vantage Vue or AW Falcon for Chicagoland weather station  (Read 971 times)

Offline Ya-Yo Gakk

Davis Vantage Vue or AW Falcon for Chicagoland weather station
« on: January 06, 2021, 07:04:52 PM »
Edited...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 11:29:26 PM by Ya-Yo Gakk »

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: Davis Vantage Vue or AW Falcon for Chicagoland weather station
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 08:54:40 PM »
There are still people in Illinois ? I thought JBP took care of that with the last tax increase. JK...I grew up in Bloomington/Normal and retired to southern Missouri.

The Vue is a good economical choice and is very well supported but it is not expandable with solar and uv like the Pro2. Also you will need a logger or some kind of connection from the console to get the data to a computer or on the internet. Uploading to Weatherlink.com is a good way to get started. The one strong thing about the Davis is the range, accuracy and the update period is the best for the price. You said you were looking for something you can easily embed weather on a site..... it's the software that will do that like Weather Display, Weatherlink, Cumulus and other packages that will provide the data or graphics for that.

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 10:45:37 PM »
By any chance can I use a Rasp. Pi as a data logger instead of WeatherLink Live (6100)? If not, I'll get both the Vantage Vue with WeatherLink Live hub.
With the RasPi you will still need a connection to the console like a datalogger or serial connection. You do know that the Davis communicates with RF not WiFi . The WLL talks directly to the ISS. As for getting the info that you need for a Wordpress site from  either there are others here that can help you with that. My setup is o!d school with an Envoy with a datalogger feeding a weather computer with weather software.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 10:50:14 PM by Garth Bock »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 12:01:32 AM »
You do know that the Davis communicates with RF not WiFi. The WLL talks directly to the ISS.
I'll get the Vantage Vue
Is even the most basic VP2 out of the question?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 12:39:16 AM »
Very well. I'm looking at it as more of a long term deal, my VP2 will be 15 this summer. The Vue, while good and may give you years of trouble free service, is basically a disposable item compared to the VP2 which can have virtually everything replaced. That's merely one advantage of a VP2 over a Vue.

Enjoy your Vue!

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 07:26:49 AM »
If you can swing a wired install the VP2 price drops a lot.

You can use quite long wires. I just doubled anemometer wire length.

I have picked up a bunch of used stuff largely from members here including a wireless unit. Add a few easily replaceable sensors and the overall life goes on and on.

They are good value for money.