Author Topic: Porcupine Labs, LR4 "Sold Out"  (Read 1100 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Porcupine Labs, LR4 "Sold Out"
« on: March 15, 2018, 04:23:27 PM »
I was interested once again in the laser snow level measurement option of using the Porcupine Electronics board to interface to the Fluke 414D instrument.

When I went to their web page this morning, there was a bold sticker across it saying that it was "Sold Out."

This is an exciting possibility, and while I got one a year or so ago, wasn't able to put it into production for this past winter and another user bought it and installed it.

But now I have an interest again, other projects caught up, and wonder if it is just being replenished on the company's shelves, an 'LR5' is around the corner, or they are ramping down on this item and if you don't have one, you are out of luck?

Anyone know?
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
Re: Porcupine Labs, LR4 "Sold Out"
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 07:15:57 PM »
I picked up the Fluke last year to make a snow gauge, but never picked up the interface board.  :sad:

I saw this on Amazon a month ago, and was thinking that it could make a cheap "plan B" since it was cheaper than the Porcupine:

https://www.parallax.com/product/28041

There are apparently two similar chips, the RFD77402 (supposedly used by the above and SparkFun) and the VL53L0X that Adafruit sells.  I have not looked at the specs too deeply to see how they do on white/liquid and if a heater would be required, but for the price it is almost worth buying one just to throw it on a NodeMCU and see how it performs.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 09:52:18 PM »
Wow, this little gizmo, if it works and it seemed to in the video, would be a great platform.  Not that the other stuff isn't but it certainly gives pause to laying out a couple hundred for the other set up.

I'm sure it isn't NASA quality, but for hobbyists, it may be just the things.  The discussion (brief as it is) says the unltrasonic is better for hard surfaces, and the laser for softer things, including cloth, snow, etc.

I'm anxious to hear from someone who has done a lot with the boards and interface to see how they evaluate the product and how easy it is to work with.

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 06:54:21 AM »
At the < $30 price, I was thinking that it would be best to just buy one while there's still snow on the ground to test its function with.  Coupled with a NodeMCU, a Bluetooth/wifi snow gauge for under $40 should be possible.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

anything