Author Topic: Northern Twister?  (Read 1039 times)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Northern Twister?
« on: December 18, 2019, 10:55:23 PM »
Cool shot I stumbled across.    Yikes!!
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Re: Northern Twister?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 07:08:19 PM »
Iz that real?
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 09:58:40 PM »
Doubtful.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 04:18:20 PM »
Doubtful.
And you would be wrong:  "'Twister in the Yukon' by Lauren Marchant, Earth Science and Climatology Winner" at https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/royal-society-competition-shows-incredible-science-and-wildlife-photography
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 06:50:49 PM »
The picture as described on the web site is a 'cone shaped cloud' looming above a hill, but doesn't say it is a twister, which I interpret as a tornado.

I still don't think the structure of the cloud is showing what most of us in the lower part of North America would associate with a tornado.  This could be a lenticular cloud type, or other such cloud formation, but to me, at least, it still is very odd.  Also there is no sign of the fog rising off the lake being anything other than quite calm winds, again unusual on the ground near tornado type activity.

I'm not being too picky, but if someone is going to say this is a funnel cloud or twister in the making, that it is that.  I looked for other notices on this photo and didn't find any, but am fascinated by what comes up from time to time, so I'm hoping more information about this photo, rather than the scanty info given from the Royal Society, can lead to it's real formation.

So while I think the photo is real, it isn't a twister as of yet.  I was unclear, perhaps, in whether or not the picture was real vs. was it a real twister in the Yukon, which does happen.  I think the google response was for one in 2010.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 07:07:04 PM »
I still don't think the structure of the cloud is showing what most of us in the lower part of North America would associate with a tornado. 
So while I think the photo is real, it isn't a twister as of yet. 
I agree. I see no evidence whatsoever of any rotation in what would be construed as a condensation funnel, if it were one, which I personally don't think it is and never will be. That being said, I have no idea what it is.  :???: