Poll

Is a built-in motion detector or API solution for switching the TFT on/off desired for the successor of the HP2551C?

absolutely!
1 (7.1%)
gladly, but not decisive for purchase
7 (50%)
I don't need
6 (42.9%)
no way!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: Successor to the HP2551C console - a wish list  (Read 2579 times)

Offline gszlag

• Forecaster
  • ..have you calibrated your barometer today?
    • Michael's Bay - Manitoulin Island weather
Re: Successor to the HP2551C console - a wish list
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2023, 08:44:56 AM »
Hi!

Is anyone else interested in participating in the current poll regarding the wish list for the successor to the HP2551C in post #1?
Specifically, this time it is about the need for a temperature/humidity/air pressure sensor detached from the console (as an option).

Since the last new consoles from Ecowitt that came on the market invariably have integrated sensors, I fear the same for a successor to the HP2551C.
Incidentally, this would probably also apply to devices from Ambient Weather ...
Therefore, we users should at least express our wish unequivocally - and in this respect I consider this form of wish expression to be quite helpful.

The low number of participants speaks either for a non-essential question or for a general lack of interest in this form of opinion-forming.
What do you think?

Oliver

Hats off to you for initiating this survey otherwise there can be no real change. If we sit back and say nothing, the status quo stays the same and  cost cutting becomes a priority. If you integrate sensors internally on the dsplay's PCB, then there is no point in having a redundant external THP inside sensor. It imight even be dropped altogether for some station setups. Additionally,there would be no incentive to upgrade the external sensors to be better than the non-upgradeable display cosole sensors.

To put in unequivocal tems here is what Fine Offset should consider regarding the THP component of their display:

1, upgrade those sensors - especially the barometric sensor using a design circa 2015.
2. need proper algorithms to calculate QNH/Altimeter/SLP.

Actually, I was working on another post regarding the pressure calculations that Fine Offset uses. Here's a preview:

"... When I first saw Steve’s [Hatchett] post [Davis forum] about a fixed offset being applied to station pressure to estimate Altimeter – the lightbulb came on. That’s exactly what our Ambient/Ecowitt and their clones uses to estimate SLP. Except this estimate using an elevation offset isn’t SLP at all – it is pseudo Altimeter confirming my suspicions that the Ambient/Ecowitt/clone REL display was really indicating “something similar to Altimeter” rather than SLP. The old advice of using a SLP calculator (keisan calculator) to set our barometers to SLP was no longer appropriate unless you live at or close to sea level...

OK, here comes the “head drop” moment. Unfortunately, the elation of that “lightbulb” moment quickly faded – with the realization that there is no Ambient/Ecowitt/clone console or gateway that has the ability to calculate SLP or Altimeter.  At best we can do pseudo-Altimeter. Do we need to say that a weather station should at least cover the basics: wind, rain, temperature, humidity and air pressure (SLP as an absolute minimum)."

The question is: Are we covering at least the essential basics with the existing lineup of consoles?

The above changes should be relatively inexpensive to implement.
Ambient Weather WS-2000
Ecowitt WS3900 console
Ecowitt GW1000/GW1100
Ecowitt WS68: Anemometer, UV/solar
Ecowitt WH40: Rain gauge
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning sensor
Ecowitt WH32E: Outside T & H sensor
Stratus Rain Gauge (manual)
Raspberry Pi 3B+ (WeeWX/CumulusMX)
Raspberry Pi Zero 2W (WeeWX/MQTT/Belchertown)
---
Barometer wiki: http://meshka.eu/Ecowitt/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=barometer#barometer
---
http://weather.glenns.ca (pwsdashboard - live)
http://weewx.glenns.ca
http://glenns.ca/cumulusmx2/index.htm
---
Uploading to: AWN, ecowitt.net, Weather Underground, PWSweather.com, AWEKAS, Windy.com, WOW

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2023, 11:30:01 AM »

I didn't see there was a new poll (because it is the same topic). Voted now.
Same here. I suspect that explains the low turnout.
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Online olicat

• Forecaster
  • GWxx00, HPx5x1C, WN1900C, WN1980C & WS3xx0C
    • FOSHKplugin
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2023, 04:40:50 PM »
Hi!

There is another round of questions. Please see the first post with the new survey.
Anyone who wants to (or who cares to) is welcome to attend.

This time it's about the topic of local data storage.
Supposedly - at least that's what many manufacturers want us to believe - the cloud is the saviour of data storage and data security.
I don't see it that way.
Although I also (gladly) use various cloud services, I don't want to be dependent on an internet connection or a cloud provider.
The weather data is mine and I need an easy way to access and store it locally.

Of the most recent consoles to come onto the market, only the HP2560C still has an SD card slot and thus the possibility to store the data locally and without the internet, in order to be able to process them - also completely locally.
I urgently want this possibility for a successor to the HP2551C.
What do you think? Please vote!

In post #2 I have entered the status of the last survey.
Thanks!

Oliver

Offline Rover1822

• Forecaster
    • Mini Wind and Solar Data project
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2023, 06:02:40 PM »
Want to push the envelope?

Instead of the SD card, which is pain in the A** to use, be able to use a network logically addressed drive , share, UNC, etc

I think few actually 1) ever install an SD, 2) For those that do rarely use it, maybe for firmware , 3) Even fewer use it to recover data

It is like the SD card slot on a security camera, I don 't use mine, I have everything stored on NVR.

Ambient:
  WS-2000
  PM 2.5(2)
  WH31B(2)
  WH40E
  WH31P
EcoWitt:
  GW1100
  GW1000(4)
  WH31(2)
  WH57
  WH51(12),
  WH40
  WH5360B
  WN34S
  WittBoy WS90 + GW2000
  WS90 (other one) + GW1100
Personal Sites: Weather Cam

Online olicat

• Forecaster
    • FOSHKplugin
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2023, 06:27:31 PM »
Hi!

I would also find network storage interesting.
But rather in pull mode. I would like to be able to access the data on the SD card via the network. This is deliberate and not automatic (which you can't rely on - I've been automating for decades - I know what I'm talking about).
Data access via USB would also be extremely desirable from my point of view.

However, the storage on the SD card in the console itself has the decisive advantage that this works completely independently of any other technology.
This means that even a "simple user" without the corresponding infrastructure and without any knowledge about networks, NAS, SMB, UNC paths, etc. can easily get the data into his Excel.
Or to WSWin or other software that can handle CSV files.
I can install such a console at my parents' or grandparents' house and still access the data from time to time. In the programme of my choice.

For me, this SD card is the last fallback level.
No matter what happens around it, the data is stoically saved.

What speaks in favour of an SD card and against built-in memory is that it is exchangeable and can be easily replaced. That's why I can easily cope with the very fiddly SD card slot and the infrequent card changes (for device firmware updates or data needs).

However, for the successor to the HP2551C, the future of firmware updates - including the device firmware - certainly lies in OTA updates - one more reason to urgently point out the user's need for the card slot to secure/store the data. Otherwise the slot will fall victim to some cost-cutting measure - Ecowitt will no longer need it.

Oliver

Offline Rover1822

• Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2023, 06:42:53 PM »
Oliver, I agree with everything
"But rather in pull mode. I would like to be able to access the data on the SD card via the network."
My understanding is, that the IO on these units with what they are using for an operating system is, concurrency is a big issue, so the unit drive can't be accessed from multiple sources at the same time, without multiple issues in coding. But that was my experience a while ago, things may changed a lot since my attempts with other projects.

Hey but it is a wish list right?

Ambient:
  WS-2000
  PM 2.5(2)
  WH31B(2)
  WH40E
  WH31P
EcoWitt:
  GW1100
  GW1000(4)
  WH31(2)
  WH57
  WH51(12),
  WH40
  WH5360B
  WN34S
  WittBoy WS90 + GW2000

Offline Rover1822

• Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2023, 06:51:59 PM »
Also, if there is an SD card slot, can they possibly align it correctly with the case.
Instead of having the possibility of missing the slot and losing the card in the console somewhere?. I know we have seen this before.

Also, I'm not sure you can do a live extraction of the card , I have never tried. When I extract , I shut it down (power off), and pull.
Ambient:
  WS-2000
  PM 2.5(2)
  WH31B(2)
  WH40E
  WH31P
EcoWitt:
  GW1100
  GW1000(4)
  WH31(2)
  WH57
  WH51(12),
  WH40
  WH5360B
  WN34S
  WittBoy WS90 + GW2000

Online olicat

• Forecaster
    • FOSHKplugin
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2023, 07:06:44 PM »
Hi!

not sure you can do a live extraction of the card
This is my usual procedure when I do a firmware update (both on HP2551C and HP3500C):
  • have a second SD card ready (empty or just the update file on it)
  • eject the console's SD card using tweezers
  • insert the second SD card (hurry up!) with the help of tweezers
  • process the CSV data from the SD card in the console and check the firmware update
So far, I have not noticed any CSV file on the card that has not been closed correctly. But theoretically, a file could also become corrupt when the console is switched off.
Based on these experiences, I consider the hot swap to be uncritical.

BTW:
Is anyone else interested in the poll in the top of post #1? Then please participate!

Oliver

Online olicat

• Forecaster
    • FOSHKplugin
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2023, 05:16:09 PM »
Hi!

I was away on business for a few days and was therefore unable to evaluate the current survey and start a new one.
But now I have started a new survey in the first post and put the result regarding the SD card slot in post #2.
Thank you very much for participating!

Today I would like to know if you would like to have an easy way to add an external antenna to the console and if you would be willing to pay i.e. $5-$10 more if necessary.

The reception quality, especially when using WH51 soil moisture sensors - which have a rather difficult transmission behaviour due to their position close to the ground - is always a cause for enquiries about improving the reception behaviour.
Also, the possible distance (transmission distance in open field: 100 m (330 ft.)) can (should?) be optimised compared to Davis stations, for example.

There are countless reports of DIY conversions in which the internal antenna was replaced by an external antenna in order to improve the reception quality.

I would wish that such conversions could be done much more easily by the user himself without interfering with the hardware and without losing the warranty.
All that would be necessary is to install an additional SMA socket in a suitable place, to which an optionally available antenna can be connected.
The internal antenna should be retained but there should be the option of connecting an external antenna.

What do you think? Please participate in the survey again in large numbers!
Thank you very much!

Oliver

Online olicat

• Forecaster
    • FOSHKplugin
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2023, 10:55:36 AM »
Hi!

Would anyone else like to take part in the survey on the feature of an optional external antenna on the successor to the HP2551C?

I expect an external antenna to provide a significantly greater range and thus also greater stability when receiving sensors that are further away or in difficult positions (such as soil moisture sensors).

The survey results should show the manufacturer what we users want and provide impetus for further development.

The survey can be found in the first post above. The results of the previous surveys can be read in the second post.

Thank you!

Oliver

Online olicat

• Forecaster
    • FOSHKplugin
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2023, 06:10:59 PM »
Hi!

And again ...
The result of the last survey on the external antenna is again in post 2. And there is another survey in post 1.

This time the topic:
Should the successor to the HP2551C include integrated backup batteries or a supercap?

I can't imagine that the capacity is sufficient even for longer operation with WIFI functionality - that would probably require a lot of batteries to be installed. But for a short bridging, about 2-4 AA batteries should suffice.
Perhaps as a basis for discussion here:
If the power fails, the internet line will probably not be usable either. If this is protected by a UPS, you could also run the console via a UPS. In your opinion, what could be the advantage of these backup batteries? How long should they keep the console running?
I would like to be able to move the console to another location. Without it being switched off. However, I still don't quite see the decisive point in favour of backup batteries (or a supercap) in the console.
What do you expect from this? Is it more of a nice-to-have or a selling point?
Join in!
Please keep in mind that any changes or improvements will be reflected in a higher price of the console. So please keep this in mind when casting your vote. I can only estimate this poorly - but I assume an additional cost of about 10-20 dollars. But I could be wrong about that.

Oliver

Offline Pooley

• My Weatherstation on Wunderground
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2023, 06:58:30 AM »
Actually, I thought of something that I would like that I don't think would be outside the realms of possibility. I have a WH57 lightning sensor, a few WH51 moisture sensors, a WH45 CO2/PM sensor and a WH41 PM sensor. I would like the ability to set audible alarms for these sensors on the console. I have them setup to send push emails (via ecowitt.net) but I don't necessarily get an audible notification that the alarm threshold has been met and an email sent whereas if the console beeped (like it does for the alarms that I have been able setup there) then it would grab my attention immediately . This would be particularly useful for the lightning detector when it detects activity at a distance further away than the thunder can be heard - also handy for when it (occasionally) picks up a false signal.

Since the console already has the ability to beep for an alarm I wouldn't have thought that it would be that difficult to recode for the extra sensors.

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2023, 06:24:33 PM »
Actually, I thought of something that I would like that I don't think would be outside the realms of possibility. I have a WH57 lightning sensor, a few WH51 moisture sensors, a WH45 CO2/PM sensor and a WH41 PM sensor. I would like the ability to set audible alarms for these sensors on the console. I have them setup to send push emails (via ecowitt.net) but I don't necessarily get an audible notification that the alarm threshold has been met and an email sent whereas if the console beeped (like it does for the alarms that I have been able setup there) then it would grab my attention immediately . This would be particularly useful for the lightning detector when it detects activity at a distance further away than the thunder can be heard - also handy for when it (occasionally) picks up a false signal.

Since the console already has the ability to beep for an alarm I wouldn't have thought that it would be that difficult to recode for the extra sensors.

They used to have an alarm for the lightning, but people complained and it got removed.

I don't understand why they didn't add an option to enable/disable it?! Not remove it completely.

Online olicat

• Forecaster
    • FOSHKplugin
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2023, 05:06:33 PM »
Hi!

It's Thursday evening again (here). So I've archived the results of the last poll back into post #2 and started a new poll.
This time it might be about a topic that is not so relevant for most users. But that's exactly what a survey should be able to show.

My wife complains from time to time that the console (there are several in the study) is always switched on. No matter whether someone wants to look at it or not. Whether I am present or not. Even on holiday, when no one is really interested in the display.
The display switches itself on - time-controlled - in the morning and then off automatically in the evening.
And it consumes electricity.
According to my own measurements, the HP2551C (old revision - without WebUI) needs approx. 500mA in operation with display and approx. 200mA when the display is switched off.
So that's a difference of about 300mA. At 5V, this adds up to about 8 kWh per year (if I have calculated correctly).
Even with the significant increase in energy prices, the monetary value that can be saved is small.
But it's the sum that makes the difference - several devices with low consumption add up to a noticeable consumption.
Every little bit helps.
And it's not just the energy savings. The TFT is certainly also designed for a certain durability, which depends on the running time.
You don't really have to use up this running time uselessly, do you?
And the slightly guilty conscience about the waste of resources ...

Of course, I could always leave the display switched off and only switch it on when needed. But that's not a nice option either: lack of comfort. Sometimes you want to look up quickly - and then you have to go to the console and maybe press a button?
No, the device remains on time-controlled.
And consumes electricity.

One solution could be to integrate a motion detector (or presence detector) into the console that automatically switches on the TFT when motion or presence is detected and switches it off again after an adjustable period without motion (with re-trigger). That would be a unique selling point - no other weather station does that yet!
My idea is that you can also switch off the motion detection - i.e. permanent operation or permanent or time-controlled switching on/off remains possible.

But it would also be helpful to be able to switch the display on and off via WIFI. Just as you can now configure the weather services via app and API, you should also be able to switch the TFT on and off via app/API. This would make it even easier to integrate the console into a smarthome and activate it via external motion sensors, for example.

Hence the question:
Is an integrated motion sensor or an API solution for switching the TFT on and off desirable?
What do you think?

Oliver

anything