Author Topic: Data Logger  (Read 3775 times)

Offline ShoreWX

Data Logger
« on: February 22, 2015, 06:58:52 AM »
I'm new to the weather software world.  I have been reading posts about software and I'm thinking of either Cumulus or Weather Display.  I have a Davis Vantage Pro 2.  My question is, do I need to buy the Davis Weather Link to get a data logger or is there something else I can use?

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: Data Logger
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 07:57:59 AM »
WL should be included with data logger. Last time I looked it was but be safe and check. Weatherlink contains drivers required for console to be able to communicate with a PC so I would say "yes" weather link is required even with 3rd party software's for initial setup.
Randy

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 09:32:38 AM »
The Davis Weatherlink package contains the datalogger hardware that connects the console to a computer, and also at no extra cost the Weatherlink software.  The Weatherlink software is very useful for the station settings.  But you will likely find you would like to use alternate software, like Cumulus, for data saving, uploads and your own website, etc..

There are third party data loggers available at lower cost and without the WL software.  Search the forum for belfryboy.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline ShoreWX

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 10:08:04 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I just checked bellfryboy.  That's all too technical for me.  I need something I can just plug in...guess I'll buy the Davis WL with logger and start there.

Offline andro700

• Chuck
  • Forecaster
    • Gobles Weather Page
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 10:11:58 AM »
Do you have a serial port on your computer? I have one for sale if you do.

Chuck

Offline ShoreWX

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 10:20:01 AM »
No serial port, just USB.  Thanks for the offer

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 10:27:56 AM »
I presume you will shop around for best price source as no need to pay the Davis list price.

Don't hesitate to ask if you run in to any difficulty.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
  • waiting for the rain.....
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 11:07:35 AM »
Why not have a look here for a cheaper alternative to the Davis datalogger. £55 with worldwide shipping included.

Offline GraWhib

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 12:57:15 PM »
on the subject of the Davis Data Logger how do you deal with the massage:- Device not found, please connect device when everything is plugged in? USB connection

Offline tbern

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 01:47:32 PM »
You can try just unplugging the
usb to your computer , plug back in and let computer search for the Davis unit again. Close down any open weatherlink windows first.

Offline GraWhib

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 02:39:44 PM »
I thought that as I had both 2&3 USB sockets that could have been the problem but I get the connection noise on both and I have tried plugging and unplugging the unit, trouble is probably with me I am impatient and have an aversion to reading manuals

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 07:29:38 PM »
I thought that as I had both 2&3 USB sockets that could have been the problem but I get the connection noise on both and I have tried plugging and unplugging the unit, trouble is probably with me I am impatient and have an aversion to reading manuals

And so this is probably the problem.   Force yourself to read page 14 and 15 of the WL manual.

And let me say that as a pilot both fixed wing and rotor craft if you got in my aircraft and had never studied the manual I would throw you out even at 5000 ft.  You sir deserve no help.

Offline GraWhib

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 06:48:52 AM »
thanks for your reply, now I know why I pulled out of Facebook

anything