Author Topic: updating  (Read 3883 times)

Offline kapper12

• weathertogarden.co.uk
updating
« on: May 04, 2009, 04:17:37 PM »
hi guys :shock:
         its me again after i thought i was getting the hang of this code it confuses me again
question 1 how do you get the page to update itself so that it changes if changes are needed every hour when seen on a web page
question 2 how does the 5 day and current condition graphics change to reflect the conditions shown on my wmr 100 console and not remain partly cloudy when it is raining or what every.
         you any help would be appricated
 thank you keith
 #-o

Offline Albuquerque Weather

• Senior Contributor
    • Albuquerque Amateur Weather
Re: updating
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 04:48:51 PM »
GDay Keith

Where are you looking at for your web pages.
Are they online
Do you have a url so we can see what you see

Ron

Offline kapper12

• weathertogarden.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 07:09:03 PM »
Hi,
    i am new to this and i am using the vws wsbsite builder which asks "would you like to make C:\vws\root\international.htm
your homepage (recommemded for new websites)
i click yes it sets it up and opens in mozilla firefox or IE 7 and if i click no it opens in the two browsers anyway
i have not started to setup a real website yet until i can get a grip of what i an doing here
      any suggestions of website templates or programs    keith

Offline TorH

• Forecaster
    • Været på Fauske
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 05:02:50 AM »
By going through the websitebuilder in VWS, you are setting up a website... it's what it is for. So if you have a webaccount you shold be ready too upload those sites that the websitebuilder have done. If i have understanded you right  ;)

Hi,
    i am new to this and i am using the vws wsbsite builder which asks "would you like to make C:\vws\root\international.htm
your homepage (recommemded for new websites)
i click yes it sets it up and opens in mozilla firefox or IE 7 and if i click no it opens in the two browsers anyway
i have not started to setup a real website yet until i can get a grip of what i an doing here
      any suggestions of website templates or programs    keith
Davis Vantage PRO2 wireless
VWS V14.00 p103, WD ver.10.37N, WL 5.8.2, VVP.
WeatherFlash
DW1549
WeatherUnderground: INORDLAN14
http://bjornli.net                     

Offline kapper12

• weathertogarden.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 06:20:58 AM »
see i told you i was thick,
                                 so how do i set up a web account and what is the best one to go for
                                                Keith

Offline TorH

• Forecaster
    • Været på Fauske
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 04:07:29 AM »
You got to register a domain name and get a account for a webhost or use a free webhost service. Then you will get the account info. and set it up under internet in VWS(FTP info etc.)

Which webhost you shall choose is up to you and your needs.
Davis Vantage PRO2 wireless
VWS V14.00 p103, WD ver.10.37N, WL 5.8.2, VVP.
WeatherFlash
DW1549
WeatherUnderground: INORDLAN14
http://bjornli.net                     

Offline kapper12

• weathertogarden.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 02:19:55 PM »
hello guys,
             i am back i now have a start of a website at http://www.weathertogarden.co.uk/ and have uploaded files to this website which takes the html and htmx. if you could help the three things that still baffles me is the following
1) images keep going all though i have change the lines  in htmx
2) how do i redirect the vws to go to this website and i belive that i have correctly filled all internet boxes
3) how do i get the station to upgrade the weather site every hour

please could you help and explain to me in short sentances so that i can follow the idea as i am slowly getting there
                                                   thank you for your patiences and invaluable help
                                                                                         all the best Keith 

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 02:40:27 PM »
1) Your wu graphics links in the HTX file are still wrong.  They say http://icons-pe.wxug.com/i/c/a/ and they should say http://icons-pe.wxug.com/graphics/conds/
If you can to a search and replace on this text string    icons-pe.wxug.com/i/c/a/    and replace with    icons-pe.wxug.com/graphics/conds/     it should start working.  Or easier I can give you an unaltered working version of "international.htx"

2) Your international.htx is creating and vws is uploading a file called index.htm   which should work fine, unless your host is forcing all visitors to land on that cloud page first.  You can try ftp'ing into your site and see if there is another index.html or index.php which is stealing the visitors, just delete or renam those files if you find them, so your index.htm created by vws is what visitors see first.

3)The update frequency is right on the Intenet - HTML settings page... the ftp upload is on a page just off that, botton right, dont have vws infront of me. "upload" maybe?   There is also another screen somewhere to adjust jpg's upload timing, but that is probably set at 30 minutes which should be enough, as those JPG's are a lot of work for vws to upload.

Andrew

hello guys,
             i am back i now have a start of a website at http://www.weathertogarden.co.uk/ and have uploaded files to this website which takes the html and htmx. if you could help the three things that still baffles me is the following
1) images keep going all though i have change the lines  in htmx
2) how do i redirect the vws to go to this website and i belive that i have correctly filled all internet boxes
3) how do i get the station to upgrade the weather site every hour

please could you help and explain to me in short sentances so that i can follow the idea as i am slowly getting there
                                                   thank you for your patiences and invaluable help
                                                                                         all the best Keith 

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline kapper12

• weathertogarden.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 03:32:55 PM »
Hi Andrew,
              The cloud page is what i have done to link that page to the weather page so what you are saying is that this is stopping the weather maps showing the graphics and updating. I have done that but still no joy
                                        Keith
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 03:35:42 PM by kapper12 »

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 03:37:31 PM »
No. I am on mobile now, so will be short. You don't typically need a landing page like you have. If the vws index.htm was the only "index" file in that root, people visitng your site would see it without having to click.
Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline kapper12

• weathertogarden.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 11:31:30 AM »
hi guys,
         i believe the graphics are sorted out now as you will see if you log on to http://weathertogarden.co.uk but still having problems with updateing the information at intervals at every hour on the hour i think i have the setup right in vws site under internet where they are all 1 hours and leading to the my server.
                    any ideas all the best keith

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 12:07:17 PM »
Keith,
Looks good.

One thing you should turn on, if its not already on are the "internet logs". 

Chances are that your pages are in fact updating every hour, but your vws ftp might be failing. If you are only uploding every hour, a failure of one upload will put you 2 hours stale with your site.

My suggestion (after you enable the logs), is to change your update page frequency to 20 or 30 minutes, and change your ftp internet uploads to 30 minutes.  Then if your ftp fails, then your page is only 30 to 60 minutes stale.

Make sense?

Andrew

current site when I took a look:
index.htm daily.htm and details.htm all appear to have been updated and uploaded at 4:21pm today
broadcast.jpg was updated at 4pm, which is correct I would think.

wx.htm has a time stamp of 2pm yesterday.

Offline kapper12

• weathertogarden.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 01:38:05 PM »
Mackbig,
          my friend thank you so much for those idea's it was a great help i had not put the information in the FTP upload file (send) all that needed to be updated  ](*,) The other thing i had to change was the times so a big round of applause  =D>
          I am so greatful for your help and solved a lot of my headaces. now to get on with other things to the site.
                                            Take care and again a huge thanks to you and all who had the patenices for me
                                                                                         Keith

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 02:23:19 PM »
Keith,
I'm glad you are up and running the way you wanted, and that I could help. That's why the forum's here.
Good luck with your future enhancements...

Andrew

ps: and dont forget to put your site address in your profile, so others can see your site.

Offline kapper12

• weathertogarden.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 08:46:36 AM »
hello fellow weather people,
                                     i have just done a banner for my site http://weathertogarden.co.uk and took out the ball and ambient logos but it will not display can you check my site please and see if i have done something wrong and/or missing something out of the code please
                                     thanks guys and may the infinite ideas shower you with pleasure Keith :grin:

Offline Axelvold

• Forecaster
    • Axelvold's weather and photo
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 08:52:36 AM »
I think you need to write the http:// as well.

Current:
Code: [Select]
<PARAM NAME=movie VALUE="weathertogarden.co.uk/my banner.swf"> <EMBED Name="slideshow" src="weathertogarden.co.uk/my banner.swf"
I think it should be something like this:
Code: [Select]
<PARAM NAME=movie VALUE="http://weathertogarden.co.uk/my%20banner.swf"> <EMBED Name="slideshow" src="http://weathertogarden.co.uk/my%20banner.swf">
Lars Magnusson
Axelvold / Sweden
55° 57' 41" N / 13° 6' 1" E
WX Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus

Offline kapper12

• weathertogarden.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 09:32:25 AM »
Thanks Axelvold that works,
                                      now i just need to resize this and that will be that part sorted
                                                                      =D&gt; Keith 

anything