Author Topic: Lightning stricks tree in yard, kids get shocked.....  (Read 2335 times)

Offline BDL69

• Washburn, WI Weather
Lightning stricks tree in yard, kids get shocked.....
« on: August 26, 2013, 04:40:10 PM »
Hi guys,

Last night a bolt of lightning destroyed a huge white pine in our yard.  Thankfully it fell about the only way it could without causing major bodily or home damage.  It did take three other trees with it however.  Because of the storm our kids were in our room, two sleeping on the floor, two others in our bed.  The two on the floor actually received strong shocks, enough to actually make them cry.  (two girls ages 11 and 13).  Anyway my question to you is this...They all have metal bunk beds they normally sleep in....could this have turned out much worse or am I overly concerned?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 04:52:45 PM by BDL69 »

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: Lightning stricks tree in yard, kids get shocked.....
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 05:10:07 PM »
What kind of flooring was in the room? Was it on a slab?
There could have been high currents passing through the floor during the strike.
Glad to hear that they are OK.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 05:27:10 PM »
I think they would have been fine. Now if lightning hit the house that may have been a different story. Thankfully you guys are OK!

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline BDL69

• Washburn, WI Weather
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 06:49:35 PM »
Thanks guys.  We actually have a basement, no slab. Flooring was wood with carpeting on top...maybe static?   It was a pretty unsettling experience to say the least.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 07:38:59 PM »
I would say no that it wouldn't matter but lightning is capable of doing some weird stuff.
I don't think wood can conduct electricity but I guess a strike any where close by could send  out a charge that could conceivably do something. :???:
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline dj1111s

• Weather obsessed
  • Forecaster
  • The "d" cloud.
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 08:28:57 PM »
It's so random and unpredictable.  I don't think there is any completely fail safe place to hide.  Maybe deep in the earth.

A coworker of mine had his house struck years ago.  There was damage to the outside of the house and it fried his TV.  His next door neighbor's house did not take the direct hit but he ended up with all kinds of inside electronics damage.  TVs, phones, stereo equipment and I think his clothes drier or wash machine.

My only personal experience was a long time ago when we all had hardwired phones though out our homes.  Lightening struck near by and as soon as I saw the flash I got a powerful shock in my ear next to the receiver.  The phone sustained no damage.  Nor did my ear.

Glad to hear everyone is ok.
Vantage Pro2 Plus W/FARS, wireless anemometer, bucket heater with temperature sensor. Envoy, VP2 and Vue consoles. Meteobridge. Weatherlink Live. AirLink. Soil and leaf station. Attic temp and humidity.
Trained Storm Spotter
Member CoCoRaHS
You will never find me on Facebook or Twitter or any other social media!!!

Offline peatmoss

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 08:37:19 PM »
At those high voltages almost anything is conductive. They probably picked up some of the current flowing out from the strike traveling through the floor. Your kids probably have a lower resistance than the wood so they probably diverted some of the current as electricity always wants to take the path of least resistance.

As for the beds, the current would probably flow through the frame because of its low resistance and not affect anyone on them unless they were between the bed and where the current was flowing. Leaning up against the bed while standing on the floor would probably be much worse than laying flat on top of it.

With high currents you can also get induced voltages in metal or conductive objects which can cause a shock.

Pete

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 10:11:38 PM »
Lightning has a mind of it's own and goes where it wants to.   :shock:  There's no method to the madness.  Glad everyone is ok.   =D>
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline BDL69

• Washburn, WI Weather
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 06:45:00 PM »
Thanks again for all the responses guys, they are all appreciated.

anything