Author Topic: My pws metar jpg is stuck  (Read 2101 times)

Offline longmire

• Contributor
  • WD (latest) GRL3_2 WF TWI WR-25e Win10Pro
My pws metar jpg is stuck
« on: November 05, 2020, 02:15:19 PM »
VWS 15 p05 on win 7 ult 64 w sp1 - my pws metar jpg file stopped updating 10/18/2020 16:00, even tho the metar.text file shows current metar fro my station ktxhoust78. The other two metar jpgs khou and kmjc are updating normally. I send data to Hamweather Weather4You PWS weather and WU and CWOP. Data is current on all their sites.

My metar settings source is hamweather -- i emailed their support twice but no response so far. Any ideas  -- Yes I have rebooted several times.

Thanks

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: My pws metar jpg is stuck
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 02:49:10 PM »
I have VWS v15 and when my Metars on the screen have stopped I found the only way to get them going was to switch it to NOAA and force an Update Now. Then switch back to Hamwesther and do another Update Now. That seems to usually get things going. I haven't looked into the why this happens.

Offline longmire

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 04:31:18 PM »
So I did as you suggested and the KTXHOUST78.txt METAR file was correctly updated - but the jpg generated from it is from two days ago - when one metar jpg was just randomly created.

I realize this is what I get running EOL hardware and software - but I sure would like to get it working as it was before Nov 2020! NO changes in OS (win 7) or system or drivers --- only the weather! :)

Offline longmire

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 01:46:20 PM »
A little more detail -- It appears that VWS is downloading the metar for KTXHOUST78 from HAMWEATHER (Aeris) and generating a KTXHOUST78.TXT file on schedule in the c:\vws\metar directory, along with the two airport metars I download. However, the airport metars also have a corresponding csv file generated at the same time as their txt files. If I restart vws , then the KTXHOUST78 also generates both a txt and a csv, but the csv file never updates after that while the txt does.the ICON2.jpg displays the information listed at the time of the csv file and not that in the txt file.

Any guidance to further troubleshoot and fix this would be tremendously appreciated!

It sure would be nice to have a technical manual for vws - what files it uses to generate these jpgs, etc. - so we could at least have somewhere to start when things go wrong. :sad:  If I have missed where the info about the c:\vws\metar directory files are described feel free to cane me in the right direction ---- #-o

Offline ohlone

• Weston Road Weather
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2024, 09:46:33 PM »
We have a new thread going and we have developed a workaround for the METAR station downloads if you are interested.