Author Topic: dual output serial cable  (Read 8807 times)

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
dual output serial cable
« on: November 20, 2008, 02:58:15 PM »
I am needing to connect my OS WMR-968 weather station to two different computers. Does such a serial cable exist that will allow me to do this? I am wanting to try out another piece of weather software.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline unclemoosh

• Geaux Saints!
    • Frances' Weather
Re: dual output serial cable
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 03:18:10 PM »
http://www.sfcable.com/cable/p/D920-YY.html

But I think you may need more than just a cable.  I am not sure what would happen with the handshaking and other signals.

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 07:15:52 AM »
Anthony, I don't believe a typical Y cable will do it, you are going to have to use two OS-968 consoles.
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 07:31:32 AM »
unclemoosh, I think that cabel is exactly backwards to what I need. As for handshaking, there's none involved. With weather stations. Data goes one way, and that to the computer.

sam, I've found that if you put 2 os consoles close to each other. It will cause one of the consoles to stop getting data from some of the sensors.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 08:28:39 AM »
Yeah that is from the internal clock frequencies that they produce to read the sensors.  To put them closer you would have to create better shielding around the consoles.  But by doing that you would then be shielding it from the sensor-radio signals you wish to receive.

Anthony, I would just install "new" software on a separate machine, temporarily shutdown your "primary" machine/software, and move the console and serial cable to the "new" machine.  I know you want to "compare" them both at the same time, but I don't think it's worth looking for a "unique" cable to isolate both computers from each other and still keep the same console. 
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline unclemoosh

• Geaux Saints!
    • Frances' Weather
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 09:40:17 AM »

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 10:31:24 AM »
unclemoosh, I think that cable is exactly backwards to what I need. As for handshaking, there's none involved. With weather stations. Data goes one way, and that to the computer.

That may be true for some stations, but not for Davis. The computer asks for specific data from the station's logger, which then sends it back. It can also send commands back to the console, set the clock, turn on the backlight, set calibrations, and more.

If the station does, indeed, stream data continuously, then a splitter should work. I've used B&B Serial Datataps for this. They have a set of dip switches for the tap port that allow you to control which lines are connected. That may be preferable to a Y, where handshaking pins from each computer will be connected to each other. Or, buy 2 cheapo serial cables and build your own. If you have trouble, it could be ground loops between the computers.

Have you considered trying a software splitter like Xport or GPSgate? They've been used to split data streams like this before. The app talks to the hardware port and then repeats the data to 2 or more virtual serial ports, kinda like VirtualVP for the Davis. Then you can run both programs on one computer.

You could test how the station works by connecting to it with Hyperterminal and watching the data stream out of it.

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 02:39:50 PM »
unclemoosh, looks like that one might just work. will bookmark the page and purchase it after the 1st of the month.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline tomwxman

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 09:51:06 AM »
I can't imagine that the splitter cable is going to work, but if you try it "good luck" and by all means report back.

Which other program(s) do you want to try? I used FreeWX-Wi for a long time and found it had problems somewhere in the communications WMR-to-PC. And Cumulus didn't work either, tho I forget now just why not...

p.s. in looking at Xport and GPSGate it's not at all clear how one might get these to work with the WMR968, but it would be nice if someone (else) could figure this out!

Hey this looks real promising, and has a trial version available (but the price--ouch--$100bucks!!!???!!??):

http://www.virtualserialport.com/products/serialsplitter/

OK I tried the Trial version and it worked straight-off! Pretty cool, have VWS and FreeWX-Wi working at the same time. Cumulus does not work, but I haven't fiddled much with it, maybe it would if I tried. But this is on a 450MHz P3 and having run it only a few minutes I'm not sure how reliable it might be!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 10:33:11 AM by tomwxman »

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 12:09:11 PM »
Serial port splitter works. You can run two or more programs on the same computer. I ran three different programs until the trial period ran out. $100 for the program was just two much.  If you are just trying out several programs it works fine for the trial period. Actually I found that it will work after the trial period until you have to reboot the computer.

Offline tomwxman

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 01:01:42 PM »
I've been running both VWS and FreeWx-Wi together since I posted yesterday, and no problems! Very cool...

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 02:44:53 PM »
But are you running the two programs on two different computers. Thats what I'm wanting to do. If you are running two programs on one computer. You need to also be runnung a program such as virtual vp. This allows two or more programs to share the same com port.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 02:49:26 PM »
a Y splitter should work OK for what you want to do
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline tomwxman

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2008, 03:34:03 PM »
Quote from: Anthony
But are you running the two programs on two different computers. Thats what I'm wanting to do.
Hmmm you did say that right up-front and I lost track of it--sorry for the distraction! But for my purpose, to compare two program operations on the same PC, Serial Splitter works well. So I'm glad your thread inspired me to find this.

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2008, 07:06:56 PM »
Well I guess you could have one program look for data on com 1 and the other on com 2. Never thought about trying that. Although my weather computer currently only has 192MB of ram. But I could always add more to it.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline tinplate

• Forecaster
    • http://www.softwx.com/products.html
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2008, 12:16:03 PM »
The best and least expensive software serial splitter I know of is franson's GPSGate.
http://www.franson.com/gpsgate/
If you don't mind tinkering, the cheapest solution would be to get the GPSGate express (about $13). This will create to virtual serial ports, split from the one real port your OS station is on. Then you can use a free driver like Redirector
http://www.lantronix.com/ftp/redirector/3.1.0.4/red32bit.exe
http://www.lantronix.com/device-networking/utilities-tools/com-port-redirector.html
You might even be able to do it with just Redirector, but I'm not sure about that.

Steve
SoftWx

anything