Author Topic: Is there any benifit to backing up up datafiles in WL?  (Read 5163 times)

Offline anchorageweather

• Forecaster
    • http://eetee.us/station/station.php
Is there any benifit to backing up up datafiles in WL?
« on: November 26, 2006, 02:49:47 PM »
Are there any datafiles that can be backed up within Weather-Link in case of a hard drive crash, etc.?  Which files should I backup?  How would you go about restoring them?  Thanks for any help.
South of the Tracks, Anchorage, KY

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
Re: Is there any benifit to backing up up datafiles in WL?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 04:12:21 PM »
WLK files. Just open up your WL file and you should see a WLK  file for each month you have saved data.
Not sure how you would restore them though. Try a test and copy one of the months to a CD. Then go back in and copy it to the WL file. If it works you should have 2 months exactly the same.

Offline Dragonfly

• http://www.crewe-weather.com
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 05:12:44 PM »
I back backup the entire Weatherlink directory with SyncBack twice a day. Actually SyncBack only copies newer files or files that have been changed. Then the backedup directory is copied to another PC also twice a day. So if I need to restore the drive, the most I have lost is 12 hours and those twelve hours are stored on the VP data logger.

To restore Weatherlink I reinstalled Weatherlink then copied the most recent backup over the install, worked great.

I also do the same with the rest of my Weather apps including VirtualVP and StartWatch.

Once a month I write the backup to a CD, unfortunately it takes four CD's. Maybe it's time to get a DVD.

-Ingo

Offline anchorageweather

• Forecaster
    • http://eetee.us/station/station.php
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 05:31:16 PM »
Ok, I have the general picture.  One more question;  Does WL append info to the current month's .wlk file or resave the entire file?  Also, once a month is complete, does WL make any changes to the "OLD" .wlk files?

Finally, since my site only uses current calendar year info.  Can I remove "prior year" .wlk files from my hard drive - once they are backed up?
South of the Tracks, Anchorage, KY

Offline Dragonfly

• http://www.crewe-weather.com
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2006, 06:49:55 PM »
Quote from: "anchorageweather"
Ok, I have the general picture.  One more question;  Does WL append info to the current month's .wlk file or resave the entire file?  Also, once a month is complete, does WL make any changes to the "OLD" .wlk files?

From what I can tell, WL appends to the current file and even though the date changes of files from previous months WL does not make changes to those files.

Quote from: "anchorageweather"
Finally, since my site only uses current calendar year info.  Can I remove "prior year" .wlk files from my hard drive - once they are backed up?

You can remove as many of the older WLK files as you wish, however it will restrict you from looking back at historical info.

Since I have a dedicated PC for the weather applications I also have a stripped down version of Weatherlink installed on my other PC that I use for accessing all the WL data and graphs.

-Ingo

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 12:54:00 PM »
WLK files. Just open up your WL file and you should see a WLK  file for each month you have saved data.
Not sure how you would restore them though. Try a test and copy one of the months to a CD. Then go back in and copy it to the WL file. If it works you should have 2 months exactly the same.

I know this is quoting an old post, but it showed up on my search and it is what I'm curious about.   UU

Am I correct to assume that 2010-11.wlk is november's file and 2010-12 is december?

« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 12:58:38 PM by Slow Modem »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 05:55:22 PM »
Greg,
Yes, looking at my .wlk logs from when I started in July 2008 there is a 2008-07.wlk and one for every month thereafter such as 2008-08, 2008-09 to now 2010-12.wlk.  I had somehow converted one of the month files to Excel and that confirmed it was.

Paul

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 06:34:53 PM »
Greg,
Yes, looking at my .wlk logs from when I started in July 2008 there is a 2008-07.wlk and one for every month thereafter such as 2008-08, 2008-09 to now 2010-12.wlk.  I had somehow converted one of the month files to Excel and that confirmed it was.

Paul

OK, thanks!  :)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 08:38:19 PM »
Notice, however that:

All of your .wlk files are likely to have fairly recent "modified on" dates.  I don't know what causes that, nor do I know if anything in the contents is actually changed.  Perhaps that happens when the computer is rebooted?

Two of the .wlk files will have extremely recent "modified on" date/time stamps.  The one for the current month, of course.  But also (observationally) the .wlk file for the earliest month you have saved.  Again, I don't have any idea what that means.

For that reason, and because the files are rather small, I don't delete them, and make good backups.

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 08:53:12 PM »
For that reason, and because the files are rather small, I don't delete them, and make good backups.

I run WUHU, so I don't run WL.  However, last month I figured, "What the heck?" and decided to launch WL and download the datalogger every week or so.  You're right, the files are really small.  So I figured I'd copy them to a CD for a backup, just in case.

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

anything