Author Topic: Data Use?  (Read 4903 times)

Offline WindsorDave

Data Use?
« on: November 07, 2014, 02:25:00 PM »
We have had a Vantage Pro 2 operating for a year now and are quite happy with it.  As a next step we're considering connecting it to a PC.

I've looked at "piconut's" poll regarding software and given what little I know about this stuff, that is a big help in deciding what software to acquire. 

It looks like a data logger is required and which one should be simple enough to decide upon.

My question is; how expensive is it in terms of recurring costs to make available my weather station's data available remotely? How much data does one of these things use if it updates, say, every 15 minutes?

In our case I do not think this is a practical goal.  We travel part of the year and the internet access goes with us leaving the Vantage Pro 2 sitting by itself in the back yard.

Still it would be good to hook it up to a PC in order to present the information in a easy to digest fashion even if it's not available "online".

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Dave
Newbie with a Davis Vantage Pro 2.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Data Use?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 02:57:56 PM »
There are really only two choices for the logger - the Davis unit for ~125 US or Bellfryboy's clone for about 70.  If you use the latter you will need to get some weather software (Davis comes with Weatherlink). 

As for data use, I post every hour and a days is about 8 kb.  Not much at all.  A bigger concern is when you are away.  The 15 minute archive interval  will fill your logger  quickly.

Archive Storage Capacity (the amount of time before the archive is completely filled):
1 Minute Archive Interval . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 42 hours
5 Minute Archive Interval . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8 days
10 Minute Archive Interval . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 17 days
15 Minute Archive Interval . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 26 days
30 Minute Archive Interval . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 53 days
60 Minute Archive Interval . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 106 days
120 Minute Archive Interval . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 213 days

An option other than a PC is to use a Meteobridge.   Although I have to say I am not sure if when disconnected whether it would allow the logger to fill.  When running it is  fully automatic and even  allows a tunnel back into it.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 03:19:28 PM »
Hi Dave,
My question is; how expensive is it in terms of recurring costs to make available my weather station's data available remotely? How much data does one of these things use if it updates, say, every 15 minutes?

I have my VP2 set at 10 minute interval so have about 17 days before it starts to over-write on the logger.

The ongoing cost after you have your hardware would be:
1. To upload to Weather Underground, CWOP, PWS, WOW, etc. it would be nothing ($0.00) beyond what you would pay for your internet service to provide continuous service, if you get free/donation ware software like Cumulus.  A donation to the developer is encouraged but not demanded.
2. To also upload to your website it would be the above plus the annual cost of a domain name - less than $20, and the cost for your webserver provider - i.e. GoDaddy and less than $100 annual depending on which plan you select.
3. There are options and alternatives such as paid software and other things you might wish to add and use - i.e. webcam, lightning detection, ...

Not an expensive hobby beyond what you invest in the equipment you decide upon.  The expensive part is the amount of your time you might end up using to enjoy your station :?

Paul

Offline WindsorDave

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 08:02:05 PM »
Thanks, guys, for taking the time to respond.  All helpful information.

So am I correct in thinking that if it takes 8kb per day for 24 uploads (1 per hour) that a 15 minute interval would be 4X24X30X8=23,040 kb or roughly 23 mb per month?  Even on my 8 gb /month data plan that's negligible.

I assume one has to register for an account, even a free one, if one of the weather networks like Weather Underground is used.  Given that, is there an expectation that one's personal weather station remains up 24X7 to the extent practical? 

The non-recurring cost appears modest enough so the hitch for us remains the Vantage Pro's access to the internet whenever we leave home base. 

As for logger capacity - I assume that if the logger were connected to a computer via USB or wireless, that as long as the PC stayed up it could be configured to accept Vantage Pro data indefinitely limited only by the PC's storage capacity.  That is with the understanding that it could not be accessed remotely if no internet connection were available.

Thanks again,

Dave

Newbie with a Davis Vantage Pro 2.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 09:10:40 PM »
WU expects you to be online pretty much 24/7
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 10:46:23 PM »
So am I correct in thinking that if it takes 8kb per day for 24 uploads (1 per hour) that a 15 minute interval would be 4X24X30X8=23,040 kb or roughly 23 mb per month?  Even on my 8 gb /month data plan that's negligible..
The interval on the logger is how often it will save data from the outside ISS.  It is recommended by Cumulus software that its data saving to your computer's hard drive be at the same interval as the data logger interval, and that gives you historical information on the monthly data files on your computer.  The computer/software that is connected to the datalogger will receive the "live" data from the outside ISS (through the data logger) and from that you can use that live data for whatever you want.  The weather software will use that ongoing live data for keeping records, graphs, etc. and saving to the data files at your set hard drive save interval.  The upload to WU, etc. is from that live data on an interval set in the software.  I use staggered times for my uploads from 5 to 9 minutes so that they are not all at the same upload time (WU also as Rapid Fire).  The data sent to WU, etc. is not identical to the data that comes from the outside ISS and can't suggest what size those upload data strings would be.  I do quite a bit of uploads to WU and the other weather services, my websites, B-L Sunrecorder, etc. and average about 420 mb upload a day.

As for logger capacity - I assume that if the logger were connected to a computer via USB or wireless, that as long as the PC stayed up it could be configured to accept Vantage Pro data indefinitely limited only by the PC's storage capacity.  That is with the understanding that it could not be accessed remotely if no internet connection were available.
The data logger capacity would have no bearing as beside it being the data conduit from the console to computer, its other purpose is to keep recording data while your computer or weather software is not running and then when you restart the stored data in the logger since the computer shutdown will be downloaded to your computer/software to process and save as per your settings so you have continuous data. Yes, if your console is connected to a running computer/software it can run indefinitely and the program will save the data in your data files as per your interval setting.  Uploads to WU, etc. would be that same indefinite period subject to having internet connection. 

"I assume that if the logger were connected to a computer via USB or wireless"   The computer connection to the console is USB or serial wired, not wireless. I think there are wireless options with which I am not familiar but that requires some third party hardware.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 03:58:49 AM »
WLIP would connect the console to the router (if there is one) wirelessly (If I remember right).

A string of data to CWOP looks like this:

DW0148>APRS,TCPXX*,qAX,CWOP-2:@070923z3541.04N/08442.41W_060/004g009t044r000p001P000h71b10213eWUHU216DAVISVP2  (isn't each character a byte or two?)

I'm just guessing, but I'd say it's probably the same to WU or PWS Weather, or other weather sites.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 06:18:09 AM by SlowModem »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 04:15:34 AM »
It is recommended by Cumulus software that its data saving to your computer's hard drive be at the same interval as the data logger interval, and that gives you historical information on the monthly data files on your computer.

I was unaware the cumulus kept the data as records like WL does.  I may have to reexamine cumulus.  Thanks!  :)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 09:09:19 AM »
It looks like a data logger is required and which one should be simple enough to decide upon.
Usually this is the toughest decision for a new user to make :o

Greg, the Cumulus monthly records data files are in .txt format and way easier to use than WL and it has more data elements.  Try it again, you'll be impressed.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 10:06:27 AM »
VWS... ftp... server... all here, except for a period of time (when I was a 'newbie')  I didn't realize (dumb-butt me) it wasn't uploading... http://ourspecial.net/twinhollies/weathercenter/wxnoaaclimatereports.php

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2014, 12:31:22 PM »
Usually this is the toughest decision for a new user to make :o

Greg, the Cumulus monthly records data files are in .txt format and way easier to use than WL and it has more data elements.  Try it again, you'll be impressed.

Enjoy,
Paul

I'll experiment with it.  I currently use and am very happy with WUHU, but it only uploads and really doesn't record data.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2014, 01:36:44 PM »
As long as you send everything to WU they store most of the data. Tried VWS, actually started out with it years ago and purchased it but ran across Cumulus and never looked back.
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2014, 01:48:34 PM »
I keep cumulus running on 2 different Pc's with separate vp2 consoles and different ISP's also. If one of the internet connections main (cable) goes down I just start uploading with the backup computer which is a low power usage laptop connected to my backup ISP (Verizon). Now is that anal or what?  :-P
The reason I did this was more of an indication of the service I've received with my internet provider. I went 2 full days with internet down because the local service repairman thought nothing was wrong because his cable was up and running. This guy has a real attitude so it took calling multiple times to home office for him to finally show up and this guy lives in the same neighborhood.
Turned out it was their cheap crap modems they force you to use had went bad after only a few months.    ](*,)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 02:15:07 PM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2014, 04:27:08 PM »
I'll experiment with it.  I currently use and am very happy with WUHU, but it only uploads and really doesn't record data.
Greg, while the standard Cumulus webpages like Now, Today, Yesterday, Monthly, Records, etc. are static there are numerous scripts that are quite easily to add such as http://www.komokaweather.com/weather/betel_datasummaryCU.php

Now "quite easily" means different things to different people #-o

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2014, 11:54:37 AM »

Enjoy,
Paul

Ain't it the truth!  Operating a nuclear reactor is easy for me.  Meanwhile, scrips, php and etc., are incomprehensible to me.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2014, 12:58:57 PM »

Enjoy,
Paul

Ain't it the truth!  Operating a nuclear reactor is easy for me.  Meanwhile, scrips, php and etc., are incomprehensible to me.
Brilliant!   =D> \:D/

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 01:25:22 PM »
Why not get an IP datalogger and be done with it? It will upload to Davis's site automatically, no PC required.