Author Topic: Talk me into a WS-2000  (Read 5844 times)

Offline jzinckgra

• Raymond, ME
Talk me into a WS-2000
« on: December 08, 2018, 04:33:15 PM »
I've been a weather hobbyist for over 30yrs. I had one of the original Davis wired systems from the 80s and continue to use their product. I'm currently running a 15yr old VP2 Pro which other than a couple parts (solar board, internal board) has run nearly flawless. The rain bucket is getting brittle and sometimes it does not register any or parts of an event, but otherwise it' still going. I'm not hung up on having a nice display as I never use it, but I wouldn't complain if the display was nicer as I'd probably put it in our living room.

I've been considering the WS-2000, but my two biggest concerns are:

1. the integrated instruments I feel will jam up with snow based on the design. I've read a few posts here that supports that. I don't care if the rain bucket clogs as that happens on my Davis, but the likelihood of the anemometer and vane getting jammed is not ideal. I would place this ~12' above the ground on my current mast and have no plans of removing snow if/when it clogs. So, that's my biggest gripe.

2. Accuracy. Not a huge perfectionist, but I do participate in another hardcore weather forum and like to report temps as accurately as I can. The WS-2000 says temp and rain accuracy are +5F and +10% respectively. My Davis claims +2 and 5%.

Anyways, looking for a new toy and tired of waiting for VP3. Any thoughts?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Talk me into a WS-2000
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 05:57:50 PM »
If you get a WS over a new VP2, don't care how ancient it is, I can all but guarantee you'll regret it, in more ways than one...except your wallet. There's a reason for that.
If you wait for a VP3.........

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 11:24:20 AM »
I love the WS-2000, but if you don't care about the display or wireless but do care most about the sensor, then stick with Davis.  I heard they have a program where they'll rebuild your old sensor.

The WS-2000's claim to fame is their "best in class" display and their 100% wireless communication. (no hubs, no ethernet cable, no expensive weatherlink dongles or add on software).

A Davis VP sensor with a Ambient WS-2000 display would be a marriage made in heaven but I guess Davis is too stupid/lazy to embrace WiFi or color.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 02:01:59 PM by davefr »

Offline BKS97

• Senior Contributor
    • Sartell East Weather
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 12:11:49 PM »
If the mounting height of the WS-2000 doesn’t make it convenient to remove snow, it may not be the right choice.  Mine sits about six feet off the ground in my yard, and I have been brushing off the modest amounts of snow we have had so far with a long-handle duster.  Having easy access to the WS-2000 in snowy climes probably will prove essential.

I have a RainWise MK-111 mounted next to the WS-2000 at about the same height, so I can compare temperature readings. Temperatures are tracking pretty closely.  For example, here are yesterday’s highest and lowest temperature readings reported on their respective dashboards:

MK111 -          High: 28.8    Low:  -2.0
WS-2000 -      High: 28.6.   Low:  -2.3

The WS-2000 just recently hit the market, so no one really knows how well it will stand up in comparison with pricier brands.  But for a modest outlay, it does pack in a lot of useful features for the casual hobbyist to enjoy.  I bought mine to add to the fun.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 02:23:31 PM by bks97 »

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 12:01:46 PM »
had an old Davis 20 years ago, then, move to AZ, and tried an acurite Atlas,(garbage)then a ws2000, (nice, but no way would last long), and went back to a new VP2, and, as others have said, stick with Davis, as you know how long it will last, and how "Accurate" it is..expensive, yeah, but, it just works, period, and that is worth something to most folks..

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 12:41:00 PM »
Acurite Atlas hardware is not "garbage". Stop making stuff up that we know is not accurate.

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 02:45:39 PM »
who is "we"??
thats my opinion; if you dont agree, thats your choice..

anything that has that high of a return/defective rate right out of the box isn't a top quality, highly valued piece of equipment, IMO

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 03:22:10 PM »
I don't agree, along with many others that actually have used the equipment for over a year. Very few have had an issue, and those that did had them fixed. I like the fine offset stations too. I have a WH2310 that has the best anemometer I have found, and also the wireless signal is very reliable. I don't see good results on wind velocity with the 2000 that is near me, of course it could be where it is mounted... Most don't mount their station very high around here.

Offline jzinckgra

• Raymond, ME
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 04:43:40 PM »
Other than VP2 , what are some other "high end" systems to consider? I'll probably end up getting another Davis, but I wish they would say if/when they are coming out with a VP3.

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 04:53:41 PM »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 05:17:14 PM »
Other than VP2 , what are some other "high end" systems to consider?
Better question is "What's your budget?"

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 05:20:47 PM »
I don't agree, along with many others that actually have used the equipment for over a year. Very few have had an issue, and those that did had them fixed.

read some of these..

https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-01007M-Touchscreen-Monitoring-Lightning/product-reviews/B074XKB239/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_viewopt_sr?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=critical&reviewerType=all_reviews&pageNumber=1#reviews-filter-bar

I can't verify any flaws, as acurite never sent me a final product. The beta model has been solid for me. The updates on the anemometer are much faster, and the thermometer is within 1 degree, usually perfect when I have really paid attention.

Offline jzinckgra

• Raymond, ME
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 05:26:09 PM »
$1500

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2018, 05:33:20 PM »
$1500

Not enough for RM Young territory, but that'll get a complete, all the gizmos VP2, or a Rainwise system.
If you'd like to further this discussion, may I suggest you start another thread in a different category.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 06:02:05 PM »
$1500

If you'd like to further this discussion, may I suggest you start another thread in a different category.
My apologies, I forgot that you're the OP, so I suppose you can do whatever you want with it. :oops:

Offline jzinckgra

• Raymond, ME
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2018, 07:04:21 PM »
I thought rainwise were overpriced units? They're consoles remind me of the 80s
$1500

Not enough for RM Young territory, but that'll get a complete, all the gizmos VP2, or a Rainwise system.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2018, 07:29:50 PM »
I thought rainwise were overpriced units? They're consoles remind me of the 80s
$1500

Exactly what you've said of RW is every ones beef about Davis. Whata surprise, the two highest quality PWS available (less than RMY) focus on data quality over how 'good' it looks sitting on your furniture. Data is data, whether it's pretty or not. I've said it countless times here, I'll take function over form every, single, time.

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2018, 07:57:10 PM »
agree; with the proper software/apps, you can view your data on a nice pretty screen of some sort; viewing data doesnt have to be on the console these units come with..

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2018, 10:56:30 AM »
agree; with the proper software/apps, you can view your data on a nice pretty screen of some sort; viewing data doesnt have to be on the console these units come with..

Yes but the consoles make the data so easy and quick to view.  No phone or tablet to hunt down, nothing to logon/connect to, no app to have to launch.  I probably glance at my WS-2000 console 100 times per day and each glance takes about  1/10 of a second.  That's the beauty of dedicated consoles along with the fact that the console is designed to optimize the way weather info is displayed.

That may or may not be important to others. 

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2018, 11:11:01 AM »
those are good points; however, so many people carry their phone with them 24/7/365, and, most stay connected to their favorite apps, so it doesnt really take any effort of any sort to view the info..

sure,I wish the VP2 had a more colorful display to enjoy, but, between the phone app/webpage on my pc/tablet viewing, I dont real feel "cheated" by the archaic display console the Davis comes with...sure, the one on the WS-2000 is very nice, but, all things being equal, the quality of the Davis trumped the excellent console display on the WS-2000..

As you said, it is nice to have choices!

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2018, 12:03:47 PM »
Whata surprise, the two highest quality PWS available (less than RMY) focus on data quality over how 'good' it looks sitting on your furniture. Data is data, whether it's pretty or not. I've said it countless times here, I'll take function over form every, single, time.

By that logic, let's go back to B&W TV's, dial up modems, DOS 1.0, flip phones.  (same technological generation as Davis's current offering)

Seriously I can't understand why Davis doesn't just hire a subcon. to design a nice VP3 to mate with their sensors. (since they apparently have no engineering  expertise in display technology, WiFi, etc, etc.)  Does Davis even have an engineering dept.?

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2018, 01:48:02 PM »
Whata surprise, the two highest quality PWS available (less than RMY) focus on data quality over how 'good' it looks sitting on your furniture. Data is data, whether it's pretty or not. I've said it countless times here, I'll take function over form every, single, time.

By that logic, let's go back to B&W TV's, dial up modems, DOS 1.0, flip phones.  (same technological generation as Davis's current offering)

Seriously I can't understand why Davis doesn't just hire a subcon. to design a nice VP3 to mate with their sensors. (since they apparently have no engineering  expertise in display technology, WiFi, etc, etc.)  Does Davis even have an engineering dept.?

Ruuh-ohh... foodfight next up.   ;)

I've been hanging with my old La Crosse 2813 (think it uses the exact same T/H sensor as Davis). And with a chilly night last night the batts in the T/H xmt unit faded out for a while. At least my "Heavyweather" app is showing the "T" battery symbol as low. Hope I have some C cells in the batt drawer.

Just bought an AcuRite 5-1 Pro+/Access, etc., at a very good sale price based on some advice seen around here, not out of the box yet. Guess I'll run both.

Like others, waiting for an updated, more modern (more for function than appearance) Davis 'VP3' or whatever they want to name it. Needs to have a justifiable price too, not the apparent predatory ones currently offered.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 01:52:49 PM by Jstx »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2018, 02:26:20 PM »
I respectfully disagree, your items are inferior to what replaced them. As I said above, data is data, and Davis still hauls the mail, just not pretty like yours.
Would something pretty be nice? Sure. But I know what's going on outside as well or better than most, still.

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2018, 05:40:31 PM »
I respectfully disagree, your items are inferior to what replaced them. As I said above, data is data, and Davis still hauls the mail, just not pretty like yours.
Would something pretty be nice? Sure. But I know what's going on outside as well or better than most, still.

"Pretty" is not really the correct adjective.

The ability to summarize and display the data in a very intuitive/efficient manner describes it better. (Windows vs. DOS 1.0) I want to see what's going on with a quick glance vs. reading a screen cluttered with just a bunch of hard to read numbers.  That's what the WS-2000 display accomplishes with Acurite not too far behind.  However I'm a visual person.  Too each his own.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2018, 05:45:56 PM »
You're right, reading a Davis console is like pulling teeth... :roll:

anything