Author Topic: Which weather station for PWS weather by Aerisweather  (Read 1123 times)

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
Which weather station for PWS weather by Aerisweather
« on: November 13, 2023, 04:52:52 PM »
I have been out of the weather station arena for almost 2 years.  My last unit was an Atlas.  I believe it would only push data to WUnderground.  I am looking at getting a Rachio 3 irrigation controller and while it gets data from aerisweather.com and PWS Weather, there aren't really any stations nearby.  Therefore, I'd like to install my own.  Not sure I really have a great place for it.  Our new home was built 1.5 years ago and Google Earth still has the area as dirt with no construction so I can't add an aerial image.

Anyway, I'd like a better system than the Atlas as I had quite a few issues with it.  Here are the parameters I'd need it to have:

1. Can push data to PWS Weather by Aerisweather
2. Can push the data WITHOUT using a computer.  An ethernet dongle connected to my router would be OK or a display that can send data by wifi.
3. Battery powered weather station.  Remote battery box might be advantageous.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 05:13:22 PM by hdtvluvr »

Offline Central Maine Weather

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
Re: Which weather station for PWS weather by Aerisweather
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2023, 07:00:48 PM »
I would highly recommend either a Davis Vantage Pro2 or a Davis Vantage Vue. They are just so durable an long lasting, and you won't beat the sensor to indoor unite update frequency and overall accuracy of these units.

Add either the new updated console, or a WeatherLink Live unit (which is what I use in my case) in order to send data to any online site such as WeatherLink.com, Weather Underground, and PWS Weather.

Check out Scientific Sales or ScaledInstruments for purchasing options.

Hope this helps!
- Matt
Central Maine Weather | Manchester, ME, USA
Davis Vantage Pro2 w/24hr FARS & WeatherLink Live
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55
My YouTube Channel = https://www.youtube.com/@OffTrailMaine

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2023, 10:15:02 PM »
If you use the updated console, do you have to upload to weatherlink in order to upload to Weather Underground and/or PWS Weather?  Do you know if Scientific Sales or ScaledInstruments have like Black Friday sales? 

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2023, 05:03:26 AM »
If you use the updated console, do you have to upload to weatherlink in order to upload to Weather Underground and/or PWS Weather?  Do you know if Scientific Sales or ScaledInstruments have like Black Friday sales?

Yes, the only upload target for the new 6313 console is weatherlink.com. Data forwarding to certain other weather platforms like WU and WOW is then available from weatherlink.com.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2023, 06:20:50 AM »
I 2nd what johnd said. As for Black Friday deals, I would think they probably do run some kind of specials, but I can’t say for certain. Definitely worth checking into though!
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55

Offline vinceskahan

• Senior Contributor
    • home site
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2023, 01:46:45 PM »

Crazy thought here.  You could.......look at their websites and compare prices.
WeeWX sites:
  Davis VP2+DFARS to a pi4
  EcoWitt GW1000, WH32 outdoor T+H, multiple WH31 indoor T+H, WH51 soilMoisture, WH34 soilTemp (pi4)
  Davis AirLink (inside)
  PurpleAir (outside)
Home site:        https://www.skahan.net/
Wunderground: KWAFEDER15
PWS:                KWFEDER15
CWOP:              CW6881

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2023, 01:53:15 PM »
Yes, the only upload target for the new 6313 console is weatherlink.com. Data forwarding to certain other weather platforms like WU and WOW is then available from weatherlink.com.

Does that hold true for the WeatherLink Live too? 

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2023, 02:02:42 PM »

Crazy thought here.  You could.......look at their websites and compare prices.

I have and they both have lower prices than Davis has on its site but I didn't know if they ran additional specials for Black Friday.

Add either the new updated console, or a WeatherLink Live unit (which is what I use in my case) in order to send data to any online site such as WeatherLink.com, Weather Underground, and PWS Weather.
out Scientific Sales or ScaledInstruments for purchasing options.
- Matt

Looking at the Davis site and the 2 you mentioned, it seems the WeatherLink Live isn't bundled with either station.  I'm not sure how much use the console would be for us.  Our phones are handy enough that we could simply use the WeatherLink app.  Buying the units separately isn't discounted and pricey.  Any ideas other than getting both and selling the console?

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2023, 02:26:36 PM »

Does that hold true for the WeatherLink Live too?

Well that's a slightly more involved question.

Yes, the only online upload target for Weatherlink Live (WLL) is indeed also weatherlink.com. BUT WLL also has a local computer interface via your network. So if you were willing to run a small computer of some description (which could be something as simple as a Raspberry Pi) as well as the weather station then the software you run on that weather station can upload to many other weather platforms. But the choice of computer & software is too big a topic to summarise quickly here. Running your own computer gives you a lot more flexibility as to how you configure and use your station, but obviously there is some overhead in doing so (though once past the initial set-up and familiarisation, simple computer systems can run essentially unattended for months on end).
« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 02:30:36 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2023, 03:29:39 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I had emailed Scientific Sales about a bundle and they responded with links to the individual components.  So, I just ordered the Vantage Pro2 and the Weatherlink Live unit.  They are having a fairly decent sale right now and I didn't want to take a chance.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 03:34:28 PM by hdtvluvr »

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2023, 05:12:11 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I had emailed Scientific Sales about a bundle and they responded with links to the individual components.  So, I just ordered the Vantage Pro2 and the Weatherlink Live unit.  They are having a fairly decent sale right now and I didn't want to take a chance.
You won’t be disappointed! It is a great weather station and the WeatherLink Live will do everything needed to get data online to the sites you’re hoping to.

Enjoy!
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2023, 06:24:21 PM »
Now I need to determine how to mount it.  Please take a look at my post in the Davis Weather Station section.  Thanks

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2023, 06:31:11 PM »
Now I need to determine how to mount it.  Please take a look at my post in the Davis Weather Station section.  Thanks
Lots of great mounting options out there as well. It’ll all depend on your location, restrictions you may or may not have, and how much more money you are willing to spend, amongst other things.

I’m sorry but I’m not seeing the post you’re referring to in the Davis Weather Stations section? Can you provide a link?
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2023, 06:49:40 PM »
Well, tried to make the post 4 times and it disappeared each time without any errors.  I had to rewrite it each time.  Then I noticed that the picture I attached was larger than allowed so I resized it, re-wrote the post and it posted.  Here it is:

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=46048.new#new