Author Topic: OS WMR88A Rain Gauge Battery Life  (Read 1199 times)

Offline Phipps

OS WMR88A Rain Gauge Battery Life
« on: April 22, 2015, 06:33:55 PM »
I have an OS WMR88A weather station. My console suddenly stopped receiving rain gauge readings out of the blue the other day. I reset the rain gauge and it started working for about half an hour and the quit. I'm wondering if the batteries might be dead, but had a couple questions:

Does anyone know if the rain gauge would go through batteries faster than the anemometer? I put lithium batteries in both last summer and the anemometer is still going strong.

My Cumulous software is actually still showing strong battery life for the rain gauge, but I can't think of what else would make it suddenly stop working. Nothing else has changed.

Offline aweatherguy

• Senior Contributor
    • Weather Station Data Logger
Re: OS WMR88A Rain Gauge Battery Life
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 04:41:34 PM »
My rain gauge goes well over a year on a pair of batteries (just normal alkaline). Battery life might depend on how much rain you get...perhaps each tip of the bucket consumes a certain amount of battery life...but I doubt that is signficicant.

The best thing to do is to go to a home store, Harbor Freight or some similar place and get yourself an inexpensive electrical multi-meter. You should be able to get one for $10 or less. Then pull the batteries and measure the DC voltage on each one. Anything less than 1.1 or 1.0 volts is probably too low.

Offline Phipps

Re: OS WMR88A Rain Gauge Battery Life
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 10:27:42 PM »
I pulled the batteries last night and they tested fine.

I reset the console and it seems to be working fine now. Not sure why I didn't think to reset the console the other night, duh! LOL