Author Topic: Looking for advice on what to charge for a Taylor Stormscope new in a box  (Read 1442 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
I have some things sitting around for years that I have always intended to get to put up, and still to some degree hope to. 

But time takes its toll and I'm neither as agile nor energetic as I used to be. I'm having more fun with the other stations I have, and am running out of both wall space for displays and tower space for sensors, so it is beginning to make sense to me to sell one of my Taylor WeatherScopes.

Since I was able to remember back in the early 60s I was smitten by the Taylor wind and direction sensors, with the little wooden box housing a moving needle meter to show wind speed and direction.  I think they were just about the only game in town when it came to non-toy almost affordable stations.

I was able to find a new in box unit a couple years ago and bought it off ebay,but frankly only slightly recollect the final price.  It had some water stains to the outside box, but the whole thing was truly brand new inside and in excellent shape.  I've been waiting to put it up but as time goes by, other than to gaze out the window to watch the classic but still today modern looking wind vane point into the wind and watch the little anemometer cups that I so wished for as a kid spin around, I'm thinking that an interested neighbor who really wants it should have it.

So, with that background, I would like anyone who knows about these units to send me or share here what a fair price would be for this unit.  Its not like a classic car that goes up dramatically in price, yet I don't want to give it away for a pittance, either.  The old reliable litmus test for what something eventually sells for, eBay, hasn't had a new one that I've seen listed for a couple years.  If the neighbor was right next door I might hope that he'd put it where I could still gaze out to see it, but it's way too far away for that, even for someone I call a neighbor.

So, what do you guess?  $150?  $250?  what are these worth in today's market?
Thanks for any ideas, and also for any other stories you may wish to share with your experience in having one or lusting after one as I did, when a week's wages were a couple of double sawbucks.

Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Looking for advice on what to charge for a Taylor Stormscope new in a box
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 09:11:12 PM »
Can't help you fix a price but let me tell a little story.  I always loved bicycles. I still ride one today!) Especially Italian ones.  Saved paper route money as a kid to buy one etc.  Had one that I paid a few hundred for and used it and then it gathered dust as it was replaced with fancier stuff.  Sound familiar?  Any way, wife finally says get rid of it. So I posted ads on collector websites, etc. for what I though this colletor's item was worth. Had offers that were a pittance.  Until one day some guy emails me out of the blue and offers me four times what I paid and actually over my asking!  No scam.  I sold it.  Turns out he had the same bike as a kid in Europe and it was stolen and he wanted to replace it.  Go figure.  Wife spent the money. ;)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 09:43:01 PM »
I found your tale more valuable than a price estimate!
I hope the site owner doesn't mind this here rather than in chit chat,but I assume it takes little of his web resources, and the entertainment value is well worth it.

In this area we have a guy who fixes up mainly Dodge and Plymouth muscle cars, like old Dodge 440s and Barracudas and such.  He takes the car for about 1 to 2 years, has a staff of guys who take it apart and save every nut and bolt, cleaning them in special baths and the same with the frame and the fenders, you get the idea. 

Did I mention this ain't cheap?  And when it is done it is as original as the owner wants, with parts that can't be salvaged replaced with stuff they've found, or made in house, he's got all those toys.  When done it is painted (usually to the original) and when ready, the rebuild owner puts it in a fancy covered trailer and drives off (usually to California or Arizona area) to deliver the car back to the owner.

They seem to be constantly busy, with many cars on platforms working away.  I asked him where in the world all these come from, and nearly all are cars someone had as a teenager or early 20s, they made it big, now had disposable income that I could only dream about, and to have the love of their life fixed up to better than new condition is something they are willing to pay for.

Memories are special, I guess.

Thanks for the chatter and keep the stories coming if acceptable to the moderator.
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 11:26:08 PM »
Check your private messages for a message, from me. Thanks!

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 06:53:45 PM »
Is this item still available?