Author Topic: When does a new PWS start appearing in the list of "nearby stations"?  (Read 2511 times)

Offline Zoandar

Perhaps someone can give me some information on the typical start-up time for a newly created WU account and added PWS to become selectable by its station ID in various software that allows station selection?

I know the WU page says it can take up to 24 hours for the data to get added to their database. But the thing is, I can see my data on their site. And I managed to get the Android OS "Wunder" app to also show my station data, but only after I typed in the ID manually, as it is not listed in "nearby PWS". But none of the other Android apps and widgets will show my station ID, which is KOHBERLI3, in their list of stations to select. Does it take some amount of time for a new PWS to start appearing in these lists?

WU is showing an icon, with the current temperature taken from my station, in the correct position on their map. If I click on it, I am presented with my station information. From THERE, if I click on "Stations", my station appears in a list. But if I just open their website, type in my zip code, then click on the "stations" button to look for my station, it does not appear in the list.

So I'm a bit confused. Will all this change after 24 hours?

I found an Android app I'd like to use for my station, which accepts PWS from Weather Underground, but my own station is not showing in its list of stations. Other nearby PWS are shown, which have similar ID names.

Offline AWL

• Forecaster
    • Ardmore Weather Live
Re: When does a new PWS start appearing in the list of "nearby stations"?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 11:17:35 PM »
I found an Android app I'd like to use for my station, which accepts PWS from Weather Underground, but my own station is not showing in its list of stations. Other nearby PWS are shown, which have similar ID names.

Can't answer your question but I was wondering which app you are using.

Thanks, Doug

Offline Zoandar

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 11:28:06 PM »

Can't answer your question but I was wondering which app you are using.

Thanks, Doug

Hi Doug,

So far the ones that have actually allowed me to use my own station are:

PWS Time and Weather Widget
Wunder
Wunderoid

Each of these specifically mentions they are meant to access PWS data from the Weather Underground site. Interestingly, the actual Weather Underground Android app will not let me select my station. I have to either use a nearby PWS or else it jumps to the data WU provides for the nearest village.

I would really like to use Weather Station, by Draco Systems. It is a retail app, so when I tried it out briefly so I could get the refund, it is in the same boat as above. Lists PWS and pro stations nearby, but not my own.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 04:01:02 AM »
It can take up to 24 hours to show up on the list of stations.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Zoandar

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 10:57:45 AM »
It can take up to 24 hours to show up on the list of stations.

Thanks! It is indeed on the list this morning. :)So I'm up and running with WU.

anything