Author Topic: ISSUE: Wind+Gust Chart offset display  (Read 4718 times)

Offline konz

• Senior Contributor
    • ArlingtonWX
ISSUE: Wind+Gust Chart offset display
« on: April 11, 2019, 09:24:22 PM »
This wind chart double-entry began about 2-3 weeks ago; it's possible it could be on my end but I'm at a loss as to how or from where it would've originated.  Any ideas?

http://https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXARLIN46?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 09:38:19 AM by konz »

Offline jwreynoldson

Re: WU - Wind + Gust Table double display
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 12:32:01 AM »
Hi, just looking at your graph I don't see double entries at all, just gust speeds that are always either rounded up to the current windspeed or are the windspeed of the previous observation, whichever is highest.

EDIT: But your tabular data looks fine for the same period, with valid gust readings! Weird!

John R (no, I'm not from WU)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 02:27:27 AM by jwreynoldson »

Offline smac

Offline konz

• Senior Contributor
    • ArlingtonWX
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 08:02:24 PM »
I see the same thing on mine with the new dashboard.

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXHOUST2336?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

But it is fine on the old dashboard

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?id=KTXHOUST2336#history

Same with mine.  @wunderground-PWS @WunderTodd (PWS PM)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 05:31:37 PM by konz »

Offline konz

• Senior Contributor
    • ArlingtonWX
Re: ISSUE: Wind + Gust Table double display
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 10:27:48 AM »
Using weeWX 3.9.1 with Davis Vantage Vue ISS.  The table entries in the attached graphic show no inconsistencies.

However, in the same table graphic I'm also seeing the issue where the wind direction is not showing up intermittently in the table.

Offline konz

• Senior Contributor
    • ArlingtonWX
Re: ISSUE: Wind+Gust Chart offset display
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 08:32:22 AM »
BUMP

Offline smac

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 09:34:56 AM »
I am still seeing this issue with wind speed and gusts charting the same and missing wind direction in the table.  The missing direction seems to be totally random.  Also noticed that the old version and the new version will frequently report slightly different wind directions at the same time stamp.  Rounding of degrees?

Offline konz

• Senior Contributor
    • ArlingtonWX
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 07:32:45 PM »
BUMP.  Still experiencing this issue and I'm surprised that only two people have seen it.  Has anyone else seen this issue on their page?  View the attachments to see the difference between the new chart and the original, good chart.

New Chart:

Original Chart:

Ps. These two charts represent the same data from the same day and timeframe, only ingested, stored, or displayed differently.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 07:37:38 PM by konz »

Offline konz

• Senior Contributor
    • ArlingtonWX
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2019, 08:31:24 PM »
Does anyone have any idea why the new site (top graph) would display my data with what look like additional or extra data points?  The horizon site (bottom graph) displays it correctly.  Stations around me don't exhibit this weird display.  Could it have to do with my upload?  Any ideas?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 08:34:03 PM by konz »

Offline Tizme

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2019, 11:22:37 PM »
Hi Konz,
I dont seem to have your problem with wind gust plotting but interestingly enough, in my station's metric chart my wind gust plot points are in increments of 4Km/hr (roughly 2.5 mph) whereas yours appear to be in 1mph increments.

Offline gardengrub

• KNEVALPA2
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2019, 11:06:35 AM »
Does anyone have any idea why the new site (top graph) would display my data with what look like additional or extra data points?  The horizon site (bottom graph) displays it correctly.  Stations around me don't exhibit this weird display.  Could it have to do with my upload?  Any ideas?

My wind and gust data is charting in a similar way.  When I check the data tab it appears that the gust data is plotted correctly.  However, the wind data is not plotted correctly.  For the most part, when wind is plotted on the graph, it matches or is one or two mph below the gust data point.  Seems to be a problem plotting the wind data correctly on the graph.

Offline PraveenC31

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2019, 01:23:52 AM »
I am seeing the same issue. I see this issue on stations with rapidfire (not sure if dependency with weewx also).

Stations on weewx without rapidfire dont have this issue. The table entries are fine though.

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2019, 04:02:48 AM »
Now that it is pointed out, mine is the same. Table is fine but graph has the wind same as gusts.

Running Rapid fire through the WIFI Logger in the Davis console.

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IONOTTAW14/table/2019-07-26/2019-07-26/daily

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2019, 05:26:15 AM »
There is NO such gust issue with METEO PWS Pro App on Android. Graph is fine.

Offline konz

• Senior Contributor
    • ArlingtonWX
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2019, 10:11:56 AM »
Hi, just looking at your graph I don't see double entries at all, just gust speeds that are always either rounded up to the current windspeed or are the windspeed of the previous observation, whichever is highest.

EDIT: But your tabular data looks fine for the same period, with valid gust readings! Weird!

John R (no, I'm not from WU)

I see that now.  My initial assessment was way off.  Thank you.

It's still an issue on my charts, too.

Offline konz

• Senior Contributor
    • ArlingtonWX
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2019, 04:21:41 PM »
Looked at Trello and didn't see this probable wind chart display rounding "issue" listed.  Is this indeed an issue that should be added to the Trello board?  Should the wind speeds be integer or one-place decimal?  Anyway, didn't see it on the board and the display looks...well...you decide.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2019, 06:38:30 PM »
Looked at Trello and didn't see this probable wind chart display rounding "issue" listed.  Is this indeed an issue that should be added to the Trello board?  Should the wind speeds be integer or one-place decimal?  Anyway, didn't see it on the board and the display looks...well...you decide.

It's there:
https://trello.com/c/mOj2LC7t
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline PraveenC31

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2019, 02:49:36 AM »
It looks like WU has added some new parameters to their upload protocol recently.

https://feedback.weather.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2924682-pws-upload-protocol?b_id=17298

windspdmph_avg2m  - [mph 2 minute average wind speed mph]
winddir_avg2m - [0-360 2 minute average wind direction]
windgustmph_10m - [mph past 10 minutes wind gust mph ]
windgustdir_10m - [0-360 past 10 minutes wind gust direction]

I dont think these were there before. The graphs are probably plotting using these while the software is not sending these causing the issue. I have raised it in weewx google group also where weewx owner has acknowledged this and created a new issue.

Not sure what happens with other software with rapidfire.

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2019, 04:10:42 AM »
They must be doing something goofy. Wind and gust shows same peak on WU but graph on METEO App looks proper.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2019, 08:37:33 AM »
It looks like WU has added some new parameters to their upload protocol recently.

https://feedback.weather.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2924682-pws-upload-protocol?b_id=17298

windspdmph_avg2m  - [mph 2 minute average wind speed mph]
winddir_avg2m - [0-360 2 minute average wind direction]
windgustmph_10m - [mph past 10 minutes wind gust mph ]
windgustdir_10m - [0-360 past 10 minutes wind gust direction]

I dont think these were there before. The graphs are probably plotting using these while the software is not sending these causing the issue. I have raised it in weewx google group also where weewx owner has acknowledged this and created a new issue.

Not sure what happens with other software with rapidfire.

Interesting but I don't think that is the problem with the wind graph. If you mouse over the wind graph you'll notice that it is plotting the graph in 5 minute increments the same as the table chart data. The problem is that the table chart data looks correct and the graphs are not plotting what the table charts say. They should match and they don't.

Rapidfire or not shouldn't present a problem plotting no matter which variables are used.

WU needs to decide what the graph plot represents.
- The Average of 5 minutes of Rapidfire
- The Maximum of 5 minutes of Rapidfire (the right choice)
- The First or Last data point from the previous 5 minutes of Rapidfire

I can tell you that the First or Last is not good and I hope they aren't doing that. The Average of 5 minutes of Rapidfire is what the Old WU wind graph did. I believe that the wind graph at least for speed is using the Maximum of of the last 5 minutes of Rapidfire. It still doesn't match the Table Chart data. Now for wind gusts that is totally totally messed up and there is no sense what they've screwed up there.

If WU has introduced these new variables that is fine but it shouldn't be necessary to use them. If a station uses the original variables then it is up to WU to do the math and translate instantaneous wind speed to 5 minute Tables and Graphs. I don't think they are doing that. Which is a problem.

It shouldn't be necessary to use these new variables if Rapidfire is being used. The whole point of Rapidfire is to see instantaneous wind speed and gusts as calculated by your console. WU needs to fix Rapidfire data and plot and chart that correctly into 5 minute increments. It's totally up to them to fix this. Using the new variables does not fix the problem.

If one wanted to change to use these new variables with Rapidfire it would be okay. But then you'd be live reporting on previous 2 min speed and 10 minute gusts. It would be like a delayed decay of max for the previous 2 and 10 minutes for each. It's a personal preference thing, no right or wrong here. Still WU would need to properly translate that to 5 minute graphs and tables just the same.

That is my opinion anyway.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 08:39:36 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline PraveenC31

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2019, 10:15:06 AM »
If it takes maximum of 5 minutes it would match the gust always right ?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2019, 10:48:21 AM »
If it takes maximum of 5 minutes it would match the gust always right ?

Not always. Sometimes yes.
Tele-Pole

Offline jwreynoldson

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2019, 04:43:58 PM »
My station reports once a minute but doesn't  specify rapid fire. The new graphs, at least for me are an improvement. In particular, the wind direction  graph appears to have moved to be an average of the last 5 minutes rather than a snapshot of the most recent reading, and I think the speeds are being similarly processed.  The new graphs have eliminated a lot of outlier spurious points making short term trends much clearer.

My station is used by hang glider/paraglider pilots, and the current behaviour of the graphs using 1 minute reports seems to work well for us.

John R

Offline jmf11

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2020, 03:31:33 PM »
Hello,

I would like to know if there are new information about this topic. We habe bought a WH6000 wether station for our sailing club and encounter a similar discrepency as Konz between the Graph view and the Table view (the graph view being unfortunatly the most interesting one).

Can we trust the Table view values ?

Is there some hope that this discrepency will be addressed and solved ?

Any workaround ?

Best regards,

JMF

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2020, 11:05:40 PM »
The WH6000 is a different animal. That is not a Fine Offset clone. It is made by a different company. All bets are off with that. It is unfortunate that resellers like Froggit, Ambient, and Misol sell stations manufacturered by different companies and they name them with similar naming scheme as their Fine Offset clones. This confusion is not good for their customers. Even more confusing is that in this case Froggit is selling the WH6000 (higher model number) for a higher price than the HP1000 and it is not better.

That said, if your issue is the same as stated in OP then there is no issue. Therefore there is nothing to fix.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 11:51:15 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

anything