Author Topic: How to contact Phillip Gladstone  (Read 1200 times)

Offline rlee171

• Contributor
How to contact Phillip Gladstone
« on: March 23, 2021, 10:34:51 PM »
Greetings,

I receive an email every week from gladstonefamily.net that my elevation is incorrect. I have replied many times with the correct information.
At the the bottom of my CWOP page their is a link to contact Phillip Gladstone, when clicked I receive the following email address:

wx-site-e1823-60mkob9jnv46do7ai9reu@nospam.gladstonefamily.net <wx-site-e1823-60mkob9jnv46do7ai9reu@nospam.gladstonefamily.net

That is not a good address. Also right below it it says: last modified Sunday, 28 February 2016.

The weekly Quality check emails stating to correct my elevation are getting annoying. Today I received an email from leigh.k.cheatwood@noaa.gov stating I need to correct my elevation. I replied to her that I send Phillip an email regularly but the information is not getting updated, nor can I get a reply just emailing Phillip and asking him to contact me.

Does anyone know the current contact info for Phillip or the gladstonefamily.net?

Thanks,

Ralph
Davis VP2 
Blitzortung Stations: 1387  1445  2315
Cumulus
GRLevel3

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: How to contact Phillip Gladstone
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 11:03:57 PM »
I think this site has been on "auto-pilot" for years. Your date listed is as good as any. If it were me, I'd block the email and move on.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 07:13:00 AM »
You don't need Phillip to fix this problem.

All you have to do is send an email to CWOP-support at noaa.gov and provide your CWOP ID and tell them that you would like to correct your station elevation. And you provide them with the correct information in meters which should be around 140 meters. Do not send information in feet.

You should also send a second email with the same information to MesoWest.

Gladstonefamily.net information will get automatically updated when you do as I've stated.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 07:15:57 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline rlee171

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 10:03:30 PM »
Thanks galfert...   Will do.
Davis VP2 
Blitzortung Stations: 1387  1445  2315
Cumulus
GRLevel3

Offline jcookjr82

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 07:44:44 PM »

All you have to do is send an email to CWOP-support at noaa.gov and provide your CWOP ID and tell them that you would like to correct your station elevation. And you provide them with the correct information in meters which should be around 140 meters. Do not send information in feet.

Gladstonefamily.net information will get automatically updated when you do as I've stated.

What source does CWOP/NOAA use for elevation? For example, I just registered my station at our cabin that I just installed. The ones that match my home elevation I used for the cabin. CWOP page says it is off by 57 feet (4,167 vs their 4220 estimation). I did ask Leigh about this but never received a response about the elevation, just to correct the lat, long slightly in my software, which it was already correct, just the point on the CWOP map was off.
Davis Vantage Vue (Brentwood, CA KCABRENT8 and Arnold, CA KCAARNOL99)
Davis Vantage Pro2 (Lakehead, CA KCALAKEH52)
LaCrosse 2813 (retired 1/17/2018)

Offline jcookjr82

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 07:45:20 PM »
Should be noted that I had originally sent them my elevation in meters (1269).
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 07:50:05 PM by jcookjr82 »

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2021, 08:14:57 PM »

What source does CWOP/NOAA use for elevation? For example, I just registered my station at our cabin that I just installed. The ones that match my home elevation I used for the cabin. CWOP page says it is off by 57 feet (4,167 vs their 4220 estimation). I did ask Leigh about this but never received a response about the elevation, just to correct the lat, long slightly in my software, which it was already correct, just the point on the CWOP map was off.

I can’t say for sure but they probably use USGS maps which should be spot on. They probably take your coordinates and using the USGS maps (also known as quadrangles) determine the elevation at those coordinates. In my situation, it was really close, acceptably close. Unless your area hasn’t been mapped by the USGS, unlikely in my view, NOAA is probably right. Either your coordinates are slightly off or your elevation doesn’t match the USGS quadrangle. Having said all this, I just found this—per the FAQ on the CWOP page:

4. How can I find my latitude, longitude and elevation? While there are several different ways, one is to go to ACME mapper (http://mapper.acme.com/) enter your nearby town and your state at the bottom and press "find". Then change to a high resolution image and double click on your actual location. Your latitude and longitude is then given in the "Lat/Long" box. Once you have your latitude and longitude in decimal degrees, copy and paste (without the quotes) "http://www.earthtools.org/height/40.0545/-105.20783" into your browser and then change the first number to your latitude and the second number to your longitude and then press enter. In the resulting text, you'll see your elevation in feet, and in meters (which is what is used in the CWOP database).

How did you determine your elevation and coordinates?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 10:23:00 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline jcookjr82

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2021, 01:50:00 PM »

I can’t say for sure but they probably use USGS maps which should be spot on. They probably take your coordinates and using the USGS maps (also known as quadrangles) determine the elevation at those coordinates. In my situation, it was really close, acceptably close. Unless your area hasn’t been mapped by the USGS, unlikely in my view, NOAA is probably right. Either your coordinates are slightly off or your elevation doesn’t match the USGS quadrangle. Having said all this, I just found this—per the FAQ on the CWOP page:

4. How can I find my latitude, longitude and elevation? While there are several different ways, one is to go to ACME mapper (http://mapper.acme.com/) enter your nearby town and your state at the bottom and press "find". Then change to a high resolution image and double click on your actual location. Your latitude and longitude is then given in the "Lat/Long" box. Once you have your latitude and longitude in decimal degrees, copy and paste (without the quotes) "http://www.earthtools.org/height/40.0545/-105.20783" into your browser and then change the first number to your latitude and the second number to your longitude and then press enter. In the resulting text, you'll see your elevation in feet, and in meters (which is what is used in the CWOP database).

How did you determine your elevation and coordinates?

My CWOP call sign is FW9226/F9226. My station location coordinates is now spot on, with the help of Leigh Cheatwood at NOAA, but the elevation issue remains. Unfortunately, there are many sources that you can look up your elevation, but there is inconsistencies. One site I used to confirm my home location's elevation (per CWOP) I also used for the cabin, but CWOP takes issues with the cabin. Again, off by 63 feet. Here is the direct link:

https://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/F9226

anything