Author Topic: Microsferics TOA network 2022  (Read 7032 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Re: Microsferics TOA network 2022
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2022, 10:29:42 PM »
I had the initial info from Relko, and the notification that it had been transferred to the USPS, but I did not get an automatic notification from USPS.  Somehow Relko was able to get that number, and then he sent that along to me.  That did the trick, but I don't know how he got it, perhaps as the registered sender and not me as the intended recipient.

Hope that helps, and I hope that Relko has the connections to make that work for you.

Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline cjohlandt

• Cedar Ridge Weather
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2022, 09:05:27 PM »
I'm signed up for USPS Informed Delivery, so I get email notifications for any packages that will be arriving via USPS.  Hoping to get an email soon for the TOA kit.
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus Wireless, WeatherLink Live
WXM WiFi (identical to Ecowitt WS69), Ecowitt GW2000
PurpleAir PA-II

Offline cjohlandt

• Cedar Ridge Weather
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2022, 09:27:34 PM »
I am happy to report that my Microsferics TOA kit arrived sometime last night!  Now I need to find time to set it up - probably next weekend.

-Chris
PurpleAir PA-II

Offline josecmorales

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2022, 11:19:54 AM »
I am happy to report that my Microsferics TOA kit arrived sometime last night!  Now I need to find time to set it up - probably next weekend.

-Chris

Excellent news.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 07:45:49 AM by josecmorales »
Vantage Pro2 + UV, Airlink, Purpleair, Meteobridge.
Twitter: ClimaGuayana
Blitzortung station: 2934
Weatherlink: ClimaGuayana

Offline JupiterJoe

• Senior Contributor
  • JupiterWX.com
    • Live Jupiter, FL Weather
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2022, 07:21:07 AM »
Hi Chris, did you ever get a chance to get it installed?

-Chris

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2022, 05:37:44 PM »
I'm not sure how I missed this, but it looks exciting!

I'm really interested in purchasing one, so I have a few questions..

Do you ship to the UK?

"A properly installed system will detect lightning strikes thousands of kilometers/miles away."

Do you have any accuracy stats? For example; a 1000 mile radius?

Many thanks!

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2022, 05:54:22 PM »
Chris:
Like JupiterJoe, I'm curious as to your station's status.

I found mine was very easy to set up and get on the network.

The more stations, the better, and especially at the early  stages.

PLEASE, if there is anything that is holding you up (other than health, family, etc. about which we can not really help), let us know.  If you're unsure about something, or something just didn't work when you expected it to, let him or me know and we'll get as much support as we can in order to expand the network here in the US.
Dale
PS, feel free to private message, too.  Well, at least me and I'm sure he'd not mind either.
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2022, 05:55:55 PM »
Mapantz:
I'm not sure about shipping to the UK, but he did to the US, and I think they are based in Germany or Austria. 

If you can't get info from their web site, let me know and I'll look for a link for you   Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2022, 06:00:39 PM »
Mapantz:
I'm not sure about shipping to the UK, but he did to the US, and I think they are based in Germany or Austria. 

If you can't get info from their web site, let me know and I'll look for a link for you   Dale

Hi Dale

I don't see any exclusions to the UK, but things have changed since we left the European Union, and it has made shipping rather tricky.

In the drop-down for shipping, it has "Europe" technically, the UK is in Europe, but not the EU.  :lol:

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2022, 07:47:26 PM »
I can't keep stuff straight here, say nothing about the agreements over there, the EU and who's a member and such.

I'd just go to the microsferic's page and ask.  I usually got an answer very quickly.  It took me a bit to get the unit, but it was almost all tied up in shipping and once it got here things stopped for a week for who knows what reason. 

Let other readers know what you find out.  Dale

https://forum.astrogenic.com/
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline cjohlandt

• Cedar Ridge Weather
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2022, 11:57:46 PM »
Chris:
Like JupiterJoe, I'm curious as to your station's status.

I found mine was very easy to set up and get on the network.

The more stations, the better, and especially at the early  stages.

PLEASE, if there is anything that is holding you up (other than health, family, etc. about which we can not really help), let us know.  If you're unsure about something, or something just didn't work when you expected it to, let him or me know and we'll get as much support as we can in order to expand the network here in the US.
Dale
PS, feel free to private message, too.  Well, at least me and I'm sure he'd not mind either.
Dale
Dale and Joe, unfortunately I have not been able to get it set up yet - too many kids' activities this time of year.  I'm hoping to get to it this weekend in between games.  Thank you for checking in and for the offer to help.  I will take you up on that if I run into any problems.

-Chris
PurpleAir PA-II

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2022, 07:16:37 AM »
Chris,
Thanks for the update and I hope our enthusiasm wasn't seeming to be too intrusive. Life goes on, with or without lightning detectors!
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2022, 02:55:29 PM »

Hi Dale

I don't see any exclusions to the UK, but things have changed since we left the European Union, and it has made shipping rather tricky.

In the drop-down for shipping, it has "Europe" technically, the UK is in Europe, but not the EU.  :lol:

you will be the rest of the world pay more shipping, plus you'll be hit by customs (VAT) on top of that price., unless you live in NI like me as we come under the EU and UK  \:D/

try emailing them and get the price of shipping down perhaps.  I just shipped a part from Australia and it was a large package. 5 day delivery with DHL express was about £36 and no VAT tax since we are now in a trade trade agreement with AUS ;)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 02:57:49 PM by ConligWX »
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2022, 03:55:17 PM »

you will be the rest of the world pay more shipping, plus you'll be hit by customs (VAT) on top of that price., unless you live in NI like me as we come under the EU and UK  \:D/

try emailing them and get the price of shipping down perhaps.  I just shipped a part from Australia and it was a large package. 5 day delivery with DHL express was about £36 and no VAT tax since we are now in a trade trade agreement with AUS ;)

But it says "Europe" Not "EU" which is what it'd be classed as. In either case, when I go to the checkout, it says "GB"

I've posted on the forum 3 hours ago, but no reply.

Offline JupiterJoe

• Senior Contributor
  • JupiterWX.com
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2022, 04:15:51 PM »

I've posted on the forum 3 hours ago, but no reply.
Relko usually answers posts earlier in the day Spain time. He’ll get back to you. :)

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2022, 05:04:10 PM »
Just wondering how users are getting on with this?

I haven't bought one yet, but still considering it..

Does anyone have their own website showing any data?

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2022, 01:17:52 PM »
I've been monitoring https://microsferics.com as there's plenty of storms around the UK at the moment. One thing I have noticed, is that it shows a lot of false strikes in areas of no precipitation. It also misses a lot of strikes when comparing to the ATD lightning from the Met Office. That puts me off purchasing one.

Offline JupiterJoe

• Senior Contributor
  • JupiterWX.com
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2022, 10:29:46 AM »
I've been monitoring https://microsferics.com as there's plenty of storms around the UK at the moment. One thing I have noticed, is that it shows a lot of false strikes in areas of no precipitation. It also misses a lot of strikes when comparing to the ATD lightning from the Met Office. That puts me off purchasing one.

So because this is a growing network, dead spots will be an issue until the network grows. Once areas fill in, dead spots will minimize.
As for false strikes, when you have less than 5-6 detectors picking up a particular strike, this can happen. On the map, click options, then choose plot 5 or 6 sensor toa’s. This will vastly increase the accuracy, however you will see less strikes, although it will be less false strikes.
Try to remember that since this is a growing network that needs more stations online for accuracy, that you should have a little patience until more sensors come online. I’ve been around since the beginning, and I live in an area with abundant lightning, but I was in a dead spot for years. Patience is hard, but it’s paying off. Now that more stations have come online, we’re doing pretty good, although not perfect, today.
I understand your reluctance, but it takes people like you and I, willing to make the jump to watch this grow into something special. Every new sensor that comes online improves the network.
I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 10:34:44 AM by JupiterJoe »

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2022, 04:55:28 PM »
MaPantz:
I can only echo the words from JupiterJoe,
I have not had as much activity as I'd like, and the solution is more stations, especially in the Midwest in the USA.  I'm not sure how to get the word out, but hopefully weather enthusiasts will get on board.  The setup is really pretty easy!

When the Blitzortung project was getting underway there were very few stations here in the USA. One poor chap out in Hawai'i had a very low participation count, as you can imagine.   Even though there have been growing pains, and the hardware needs to be assembled (including some fine but easily enough done with patience soldering of a few components) the number of stations in that network has grown a lot, and now is over 300, I think, at last look.  The coverage for the USA is pretty good, but even so there will be a strike near me and I'll look at the map and nothing.  I know many strikes are just not sensed, submitted and then the central computers can do their things.  Also I think there are differences in cloud to ground vs. cloud to cloud and some are not possible to detect, or are ignored by design.

Like the old saying goes, a society (weather project) grows great when old men plant a tree (put up a station) which they  know they will never sit in the shade of (see the end result show lots of strikes.)

Even though I'm pretty old, I hope to feed data to both networks and make the hobby as a group or team effort have great participants.

My encouragement can only go so far, but there really is minimal work once you get the box installed, hooked up to the internet (I put mine on an uninterruptable power supply and have had no problems) and the one sense antenna mounted.

Go for it, and maybe not in a few months, but over some time this will blossom!   Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php