Author Topic: Davis VP2 solar sensor - repairing the cable  (Read 933 times)

Offline dcaysinger

Davis VP2 solar sensor - repairing the cable
« on: April 06, 2021, 03:24:20 PM »
Hello,
I have a Davis VP2 and the solar sensor intermittently stops working.  I cut off the RJ11 jack end of the cable and replaced it. But still seems to be problematic. 

Has anyone here replaced the entire cable by disassembling the sensor?  I’m guessing the wires would need to be removed and re-soldered but before I do surgery on it I am hoping for some insights from this group.

I have learned a lot from this group and appreciate any info you can provide on this.

Thanks in advance

Offline azchrisf

• Cobra Weather Dominator Operator
  • Forecaster
Re: Davis VP2 solar sensor - repairing the cable
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 12:32:02 AM »
I've tried to open it up but it's potted (epoxied) in there from where I got to.
If it's not working you can send it to Davis for refurb instead of having to buy a new one.

If you feel it's because of how you connected the RJ jack, if you don't have a telephone crimping tool I'd suggest one.

I also noticed on mine I was having intermittent reporting issues where it would drop out for a few seconds to 30+ minutes, turned out to be a power issue.
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 6163 w/ 8 Transmitters!
Also doing Soil and Leaf 4x
WU: KAZGLEND106 CWOP: FW1398 (F1398) Purpleair: 98793/LAZGLEND8
My setup:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=41867.0

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 05:09:44 AM »
1. How do you actually know it is the Solar sensor cable?
2. Have you properly crimped the new connector?
3. Have you checked the ISS jack?
4. How do you know it's not a failed sensor?

Offline dcaysinger

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 07:00:33 AM »
I've tried to open it up but it's potted (epoxied) in there from where I got to.
If it's not working you can send it to Davis for refurb instead of having to buy a new one.

If you feel it's because of how you connected the RJ jack, if you don't have a telephone crimping tool I'd suggest one.

I also noticed on mine I was having intermittent reporting issues where it would drop out for a few seconds to 30+ minutes, turned out to be a power issue.

Thanks for this info.  I do have a RJ11 crimper and I can see the colors of the wire at the end of the connector. 

I didn’t realize Davis would refurb the individual parts.  If I can’t firgure this out I will check with them on that. 

I read another post that suggested changing the channel the ISS transmits on - I may try that too.

Thanks again.

Offline dcaysinger

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 07:02:34 AM »
1. How do you actually know it is the Solar sensor cable?
2. Have you properly crimped the new connector?
3. Have you checked the ISS jack?
4. How do you know it's not a failed sensor?
Thanks for the reply.  I’m not sure it’s a failed sensor but the cable looked really worn at the end.  I will double check the connector and also may try changing the transmit channel - I read that on the board somewhere as a possible solution.

Thanks again.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 07:22:47 AM »
There's no good reason why changing the channel should make any difference. Changing the channel only makes sense if you suspect that there may be interference eg from another Davis station in the vicinity. Otherwise, while it won't do any harm (though always good to stick to the low-numbered channels if possible), you're probably wasting your time in trying unless you really do think interference is likely.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline dcaysinger

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 09:05:07 PM »
There's no good reason why changing the channel should make any difference. Changing the channel only makes sense if you suspect that there may be interference eg from another Davis station in the vicinity. Otherwise, while it won't do any harm (though always good to stick to the low-numbered channels if possible), you're probably wasting your time in trying unless you really do think interference is likely.
An update for you.  As you suspected changing the channel in the morning didn’t fix the problem.  This afternoon I went out and unplugged the solar sensor from the ISS plug, waited about a minute, then plugged it back in.  It was sunny and I got a reading in the 921 range.  It stayed in the 921 to 923 range most of the afternoon.  And now, at 9pm (very dark now), it is reading 930.  Removing power from the console and rebooting it didn’t fix anything.

So still very unpredictable behavior.

Looking for more ideas.

Thanks

Offline dcaysinger

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2021, 09:07:40 PM »

What kind of power issue did you have with the solar sensor?  I checked the ISS battery and it is a little over 3V.  I haven’t gotten any warnings on the console about low ISS battery.

Thanks

Offline azchrisf

• Cobra Weather Dominator Operator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 02:36:09 PM »
The battery was weak during a week of cloudy weather but not enough to trigger the console warning.

It sounds more like you have a faulty sensor IMHO.
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 6163 w/ 8 Transmitters!
Also doing Soil and Leaf 4x
WU: KAZGLEND106 CWOP: FW1398 (F1398) Purpleair: 98793/LAZGLEND8
My setup:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=41867.0

Offline dcaysinger

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2021, 11:16:45 AM »
Thank you to everyone who responded to my question.  I am cautiously optimistic that I found the problem.  My crimping job on the cable was apparently defective. 

I re-crimped the cable and it has been working now for about a week with no problem.  Best I an tell the yellow conductor was making intermittent contact.

Thanks again