Author Topic: Fall/Winter '18/'19  (Read 35764 times)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: Fall/Winter '18/'19
« Reply #375 on: January 28, 2019, 02:53:54 PM »
This is some of the colder air I've seen with -50F spread throughout.  Wednesday evening 6pm central from one of the better models only covers 48 hours. HRW WRF-ARW is a research model runs just twice a day and uses a combo of data including rapid models. 

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Randy

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #376 on: January 28, 2019, 03:30:43 PM »
We're not supposed to get near that cold, but they're guessing maybe single digits Wednesday night/Thursday morning.  Might not compare to what many have, but it'll be the coldest we've had this year.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #377 on: January 28, 2019, 03:40:18 PM »
Tuesday
 Patchy blowing snow after 2pm. Increasing clouds and cold, with a temperature falling to around -15 by 5pm. Wind chill values as low as -41. Blustery, with a northwest wind 10 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.

Tuesday Night
 Mostly cloudy, with a low around -28. Wind chill values as low as -53. Northwest wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.

Wednesday
 Partly sunny and cold, with a high near -14. West northwest wind 10 to 15 mph.

Wednesday Night
 Mostly clear, with a low around -28. West wind 5 to 10 mph.

From NWS Twin Cities-Twitter
We should mention that we are expecting a high in the mid to upper 30s (above zero) on Saturday 🙂

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #378 on: January 28, 2019, 03:53:58 PM »
They cancelled school for today.  I think they jumped the gun. It is not that cold and we only got 5 inches of snow.  Bright sun today. We have been at school with a lot worse conditions.

Two years ago, St. Paul schools left a kid on a bus at night after a snow event. Scared the crap out of everyone. Since then-schools are gun shy.

Problems come from having crap pay for bus drivers that are not real employees of the district. They work for companies that contract bussing. So there are not enough drivers.

Our roads were clean at 5:30. I now live on a side road-it is the last to be done. We could have been at school.

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #380 on: January 28, 2019, 04:30:30 PM »
They cancelled school for today.  I think they jumped the gun. It is not that cold and we only got 5 inches of snow.  Bright sun today. We have been at school with a lot worse conditions.

Two years ago, St. Paul schools left a kid on a bus at night after a snow event. Scared the crap out of everyone. Since then-schools are gun shy.

Problems come from having crap pay for bus drivers that are not real employees of the district. They work for companies that contract bussing. So there are not enough drivers.

Our roads were clean at 5:30. I now live on a side road-it is the last to be done. We could have been at school.

It is a tough call. As a former superintendent, I can tell you it isn't an exact science. I missed one or two over the years.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #381 on: January 28, 2019, 04:56:18 PM »
I know. It is getting tougher to have class. Litigious and social media society.

Many are already closing for Tues and Wed.

My big complaint is that we still have to go in to school. Some people drive 40 miles to work. Like they should be out in the cold too.  I live 3 miles from school. No biggie.

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline JudinNorman

« Reply #382 on: January 28, 2019, 04:57:42 PM »
With your expertise why aren't you holding the position to making the go or no go for school days ?
Why your school district wouldn't have you making the call is beyond belief.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #383 on: January 28, 2019, 05:41:07 PM »
way above my pay grade. That is what the Superintendent and Transportation director get paid for. They can be the ones up a 5 am talking to the DOT.  I will be warm in bed.
One of the reasons I dumped my school weather facebook page is because I was getting irate people, mad at me, for not closing school. Like it is my call.

My god, this is Minnesota. It gets cold. We get snow. If you do not like it, move away.

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #384 on: January 28, 2019, 05:43:06 PM »
ValentineWeather

LOL at Florida graphic.

Did you see this International Falls forecast?
https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?x=110&y=18&site=dlh&zmx=&zmy=&map_x=110&map_y=18#.XE9nO1VKiM9

The model above I posted is the coldest I could find. Some only are showing -35F range. Still cold but not -50's that's nuts.
Randy

Offline spc fresno

• Aspiring Meteorologist
« Reply #385 on: January 29, 2019, 09:35:43 AM »
Forecast wind chills in the Midwest for Wednesday morning. Wow.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 09:51:14 PM by spc fresno »
░▒▓█ have a great day! █▓▒░

Offline Jasiu

• Forecaster
    • LexMAWeather
« Reply #386 on: January 29, 2019, 12:50:59 PM »
Michigan State University (my alma mater) has cancelled classes for Wednesday. It's only the sixth time in the school's history that classes have been cancelled due to weather (for a total of seven days - two day closure in 1978).
https://lexmaweather.info
On Mastodon: @LexMAWeather@toot.community

Offline BKS97

• Senior Contributor
    • Sartell East Weather
« Reply #387 on: January 29, 2019, 03:12:32 PM »
Our temperature this afternoon has been fairly steady at -22, but made much worse by a strong northwest wind that makes for some brutal windchill readings.  This is forest and lake country, so trees help break the wind, except in open spaces and on lakes where there is blowing snow.  It must be especially harsh today in the more open farming country to our west.  This morning I drove into town, five miles away, and learned some businesses, including our local medical clinic, were closing early and didn’t plan to be open tomorrow.  Area schools are closed today and tomorrow as well.  NWS-Duluth forecasts a low of -42 for our area tonight, with blustery conditions creating wind chill values between -55 to -65.  Similar conditions are expected through Thursday before there is some improvement.  All in all, it’s shaping up to be an especially frigid week here in north central Minnesota.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #388 on: January 29, 2019, 03:44:06 PM »
We do not have school until Friday.

But, we put together e-learning days to keep things going.  We will see how it goes.

Damn cold and windy. Tomorrow will be worse.
I do not remember the Dew Point being -22F. EVER.

U of Minn called off classes at noon. Tomorrow is TBD
NDSU called off today and tomorrow. Kid is happy.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 03:46:36 PM by chief-david »

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #389 on: January 29, 2019, 04:56:15 PM »

A University of Minnesota student crossed University Avenue in shorts Tuesday, Jan. 29, 2019. He wouldn't give his name because he said his mom would be mad at him.

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #390 on: January 29, 2019, 06:22:10 PM »
BREAKING: Due to the severe wind chill conditions, the U.S. Postal Service has announced postal delivery Wednesday will be suspended in Iowa, Minnesota, western Wisconsin and western Illinois.

Many businesses closing too.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 06:24:15 PM by chief-david »

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline JudinNorman

« Reply #391 on: January 29, 2019, 06:33:49 PM »
Wind chill needs to be discontinued. It's a farce.
Does interior Alaska not have mail service and businesses closed most of the winter?
It's a joke.

BREAKING: Due to the severe wind chill conditions, the U.S. Postal Service has announced postal delivery Wednesday will be suspended in Iowa, Minnesota, western Wisconsin and western Illinois.

Many businesses closing too.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #392 on: January 29, 2019, 06:34:29 PM »
"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds" ....  But not the cold.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #393 on: January 29, 2019, 06:56:00 PM »
Wind chill needs to be discontinued. It's a farce.
It's a joke.

Seriously? Wind takes heat/moisture from exposed skin MUCH faster than no wind, akin to evaporative cooling. Ever blow on your hot soup, coffee, meal, to help cool it off?

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #394 on: January 29, 2019, 07:46:02 PM »
Oh, it's real. Real cold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #395 on: January 29, 2019, 07:47:00 PM »
I was in Montana visiting back in the '90s, it was -30° with 25 mph wind and you literally couldn't breathe the air.  The only way to breath was to have the face covered and walk backward. 
Extreme cold can be very dangerous on the lungs. 
Randy

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #396 on: January 30, 2019, 08:24:45 AM »
overnight lows

Just hit the low temp a few minutes ago

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline BKS97

• Senior Contributor
    • Sartell East Weather
« Reply #397 on: January 30, 2019, 08:55:35 AM »
As you would expect it’s colder Up North.  Hit -40.2 at 7:43 a.m.  But it’s clear and calm right now, better than yesterday with the brutal wind chills.  —Bill

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #398 on: January 30, 2019, 01:12:09 PM »
Here's a nation wide look at the WIND CHILL at 6 am Wed. morning. Interestingly, this cold front came to Oklahoma via the backdoor route, so won't get the brunt of it here.  Already the wind has switched to southeast. So the highs this afternoon with crystal clear sunny skies, it will be in the low 20s in NE corner of Oklahoma and low 50s in SW corner.   Low here tonight will be in the teens, which is about the same as the coldest lows, so far this winter.  Emily, one of the young TV meteorologists for KFOR-4 Oklahoma City, who grew up in Chicago, said she can't imagine how cold the weather feels like there, though her parents said it got that cold when she was a baby.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #399 on: January 30, 2019, 01:15:05 PM »
We're in the upswing too.  Cold for the day and evening, but then starting to rise.  60s for the weekend.

anything