Author Topic: Impressive Blitzortung Recording Of Midwest Lightning on November 17, 2013  (Read 1360 times)

Offline schwab

:shock:

My brother in Peoria, Illinois just installed his Blitzortung Detector on November 16 just 24 hrs before severe storms with tornados rolled right through central Illinois.

Here is a link of the Blitzortung Network Recording.  

In my limited experience I have never seen such intense lightning on the network over such a wide area in the Midwest.

http://www.lightningmaps.org/blitzortung/america/index.php?bo_page=archive&bo_hour_range=24&bo_oldmap=usa&bo_oldani=1&bo_map=usa&bo_year=2013&bo_month=11&bo_day=17&bo_hour_from=0&bo_animation=day&lang=en#bo_arch_strikes_maps_form
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 09:10:24 AM by schwab »

Offline Jumpin Joe

• Forecaster
    • Joe’s Weather
Very impressive... it just blew up
https://joesweather.info
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 24-FARS Wireless
WeatherLink Live

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
It was quite some storm. The wind was really something too. Glad that we didn't lose power last night.
I kept reducing gain and  increasing threshold during the approach of the storms to stay active and not in interference mode.
Glad that your brother's detector got a good inaugural run.

Greg

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
Lashes of Flashes?
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 03:08:49 PM »
That was some series of storms!  What I noticed, as the evening moved on, was the obvious 'flash timing' bands that developed...
almost like someone took a flail and gave the midwest/upper midwest 24 lashes...

... then applied the iodine...

Mike

Offline schwab

What causes "flash timing bands?"
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 03:59:04 PM »
What causes the "flash timing bands?"

Are they a genuine weather phenomenon or an artifact of the network electronics?

Thanks...

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
What causes the "flash timing bands?"

Are they a genuine weather phenomenon or an artifact of the network electronics?

Thanks...

I'd suggest genuine, not artifact, for several reason, for one the system records 'real time'... but the main one is that in my years of observing storms as a spotter, etc, I've noticed a 'time constant' repetition in cell lightning discharges...  also storms 'build up' and 'die down' on cycles many times. And as fast as these were moving eastward, they illustrated the 'cycles' better than the normal slower movement, where the cycles are closer together....  :?: :?: :?:

Mike

anything