Author Topic: DW2149 - Bass Lake Ca.  (Read 7427 times)

Offline WeatherGoose

• Forecaster
  • LIVE from the Southern Sierra Nevada!
    • Sierra Springs Village - MADIS Station D2149 - Bass Lake Ca.
DW2149 - Bass Lake Ca.
« on: September 13, 2009, 01:45:46 PM »
Thought I would share a couple of photos of my rig with y'all!  \:D/

Anemometer Mast

WebCam view on a snowy winter morning

Davis VP2 during a snow storm

HARDWARE: Davis VP2 wireless w/daytime FARS - Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000 - Apple 24" iMAC - OSX 10.6.2
SOFTWARE: Lightsoft Weather Center for Mac OSX -  EVOcam 2.6.5

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
Re: DW2149 - Bass Lake Ca.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 08:52:31 AM »
Nice.  That's a beautiful area.
B.S. in Meteorology/Climatology

38.01977N, 84.83486W
Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless station
AcuRite 5-n-1 w/ WiFi reporting to WU

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 12:10:32 AM »
Is that middle shot with a QC9000?

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline WeatherGoose

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 01:28:49 AM »

Yep!  :D

I LOVE that shot.  Not bad for a $70.00 webcam huh?  \:D/

I found that image while browsing through my Wunderground webcam image archive when I was bored one day.  If you look closely in the upper right you will see a local Osprey flying in the sky.  We have several nesting pairs around the lake.  :-)  

The other shots were taken with an OLY C5050.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 01:35:01 AM by WeatherGoose »

HARDWARE: Davis VP2 wireless w/daytime FARS - Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000 - Apple 24" iMAC - OSX 10.6.2

Offline ale22

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 02:57:16 AM »
I am not a friend of snow myself, but that is truly, a nice picture.
How high is the mast ?

Andy
WMR100N + 4 Extra sensors + 1 Uv-sensor
WD 10.370 Build 03
WX Data Logger

Karlskrona, Sweden

http://hem.passagen.se/ale22

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 09:23:32 AM »

I found that image while browsing through my Wunderground webcam image archive when I was bored one day.  If you look closely in the upper right you will see a local Osprey flying in the sky.  We have several nesting pairs around the lake.  :-)  

I'm becoming more & more convinced that my 9000 must have been dropped or something. It's much "softer" in focus. I got mine when it was on sale for $50 a while back and never did anything with it.

That 5050 is a great cam. I've seen other impressive shots with that one.

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit

Offline WeatherGoose

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 12:24:21 PM »

I'm becoming more & more convinced that my 9000 must have been dropped or something. It's much "softer" in focus. I got mine when it was on sale for $50 a while back and never did anything with it.

That 5050 is a great cam. I've seen other impressive shots with that one.

Could be the webcam software you are using.  I do know that the default sharpness from my OSX camera driver was on the softside, but I used EVOcam's Focus/Sharpness controls to achieve the image quality you see now.

Have you tried increasing your sharpness and or focus in your software to get a better image?  The 9000 is definitely capable of a very sharp image.  Just a matter of asking it to give you one.  ;)

Oh!  And regarding the anemometer mast height question... 27 feet.

Thanks to everyone who responded with positive comments on my images!  I do love living up here in the Sierra National Forest!  They don't call it "God's Country" for nothing!  :-)

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 05:26:29 PM »
Could be the webcam software you are using.  I do know that the default sharpness from my OSX camera driver was on the softside, but I used EVOcam's Focus/Sharpness controls to achieve the image quality you see now.

Have you tried increasing your sharpness and or focus in your software to get a better image?  The 9000 is definitely capable of a very sharp image.  Just a matter of asking it to give you one.  ;)
Image Salsa, WebcamXP, Logitech's - saw many hours tweaking the settings to no avail.

Offline WeatherGoose

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 06:55:09 PM »

Image Salsa, WebcamXP, Logitech's - saw many hours tweaking the settings to no avail.

Perhaps there is something wrong with your particular camera, as you suggested.  Either that, or the software you have tried is not capable of pulling the best image from the hardware.

If it is still under warranty, perhaps Logitech will replace it?  They have great customer service.  I had a Universal remote of theirs that had some button sticking issues.  They sent me a a whole new remote free of charge and didn't even want me to send the old one back!   It still worked aside from the annoying sticky button here and there, so I use that one as a backup.  :)  Worth a shot unless it is out of warranty.

Offline Strgazr27

• "The Cam Man"
  • Forecaster
    • Kings Park Weather
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2009, 08:36:05 PM »
I noticed the same thing with my 9000 (Biggest reason I replaced it with the C4000). I tried Webcam XP, Image Salsa, Fwink and nothing gave me an image I was terribly happy with. I got the best results with the above software by switching to manual focus and taking the time to tweak it. The stock Logitech App also gave me the best image quality out of all the above. I also tried 2 different 900's and both offered up the same IQ. I'm saving money every chance I get. When both my OLY's die I'm making the move to a 5mp Stardot. Beautiful shot though.
Bobby M.
Davis VP2 6152 w Daylight FARS - Logitech C525 and C310
WD - WDLive - GRLevel3 - Image Salsa - VVP - Startwatch

"http://www.kingsparkweather.com"
KNYKINGS7 on WU

Offline WeatherGoose

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 09:13:33 PM »
Hmmmm...

Must be the Windows based software you guys use.  I have several friends who use the 9000 with the same Mac software (EvoCam) I use and their cam images look just as sharp and clear as mine does.  It was their impressive cam images that prompted me to buy the 9000 and EVOcam in the first place.  ;)

« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 09:19:46 PM by WeatherGoose »

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 10:55:33 PM »
Don't think it's the software as others have been able to get great pics out of the 9000 using one or the other. Last year or so, a lot of folks got them when they were $50 so the "evidence" is there. No biggie since I broke thru with the VM95 setup.

Offline upweather

• Lake Superior snow belt
  • Forecaster
  • record snowfall 315.5" season 99.9"
    • superior region weather
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 01:40:21 AM »
I like the first shot with the sky, almost like smoke through a sunset
VP2 6153 W/24HR FARS, HEATER,WEATHERLINK IP
CoCoRaHS MI-AG-1 ,CWOP-DW3971 ,
nearby webcam http://www.upadventures.net/webcam.php