Author Topic: What sensors can i add to 6332 being used as anemometer transmitter running WLL  (Read 1316 times)

Offline fkapp

• Forecaster
I am trying to  figure out what sensors I can add to 6332 that i am using as anemometer transmitter for my VP2 and have set this as the anemometer to report on my console and in WLL instead of the ISS annemometer.

I am running WLL and set the transmitter sensors in WLL to include  2nd rain guage model 7852 and temp probe ( these are from my WM II and both work with the WM II)

When i connect these to the transmitter neither work as in display no data in WLL.

Can i only use this anemometer transmitter for wind?

I wanted to use this as second temperature humidity station ( i will but a VP2 SHT) and as a secondary rain guage for comparison, but now seems like I have a bad transmitter or can only use this for wind.

Please let me know as this is still under warranty and if is HW issue want sort out quickly.

Thanks

Offline CW7491

• Senior Contributor
I’m not sure I completely understand the question, but the thing to understand is the extra transmitter is exactly the same as the ISS transmitter. The limitation is only what can be received by the console/WLL.

For the console, you can only receive 1 ISS and you can use the extra transmitter for only one sensor at a time (ie a temp/hum sensor or wind sensor). Additionally, as far as I know, even though the console allows you to select an additional rain sensor, the console will not receive an additional rain sensor beyond the 1 ISS transmitter.

I don’t have or know WLL, but my understanding is you can connect multiple ISSs, so your solution would be to set it up as a second ISS and connect as many sensors as you like.

Offline fkapp

• Forecaster
Hi thanks. That is what I thought as with weather link live I am trying to receive additional rain guage and temp probe data in addition to the wind data for this transmitter id 2. So seems like have transmitter issue as only wind data is working unless the rain guage 7852 is not compatible

Offline Brientim

• Contributor
Playing with an idea. 

What is displayed through WLL if you configured it to receive directly from ISS but configured the console receive the second rain and then retrans and added the retrans to the WLL as a separate station?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Are you sure this isn't simply a configuration issue? You can add literally any compatible sensors to a WLL system provided of course that each transmitter is on a different wireless channel.

What does the Health tab on weatherlink.com tell you about about the signal received from each transmitter?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 06:09:09 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline fkapp

• Forecaster
Did health check and transmitter is 100%.

Tried the WMII rain collector II gage in the main ISS and same issue, records .01 and that is it even though tipped the tipper several times.

appears the rain guage from 1995 WMII (which still works fine when tested with WMII) is not compatible with the VP2.
I thought reed switch was reed switch, but apparently these old ones do not work with VP2.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
appears the rain guage from 1995 WMII (which still works fine when tested with WMII) is not compatible with the VP2.
I thought reed switch was reed switch, but apparently these old ones do not work with VP2.

No, the old ones should work just as well - it's just a contact closure so it really doesn't matter. As long as the reed switch is good and the gauge is otherwise working then it should register OK.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline fkapp

• Forecaster
hear yah and what i thought, but for whatever reason it works with the WMII and not with the VP2.

Had a second old rain collector II base here as well that works on the WM II but not on the VP2, so for whatever reason, these old rain collector II guages are not compatible.

Offline Brientim

• Contributor
As @johnd indicates technically they should be compatible. Davis clearly states "The Rain Collector II is designed for use with any of Davis’ weather stations (with the exception of the Perception II® and Vantage Vue® stations)" and the the WMII original Rain Collector can be replaced with the current one. So there is another reason that this is not reporting... connection?

https://www.davisinstruments.com/product_documents/weather/manuals/07395-224_IM_7852.pdf

Offline fkapp

• Forecaster

Have 2 of them and one is on a one foot cable with no splices just the plug into jack.
Like i mentioned they both work on the WMII so seems old ones are not forward compatible.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
Assuming that the rain gauges are indeed working as expected, I'd put 50:1 on it being a configuration issue. Don't think you've said where you're viewing the data but presumably it's on weatherlink.com. What type of transmitter do you have the 6332 configured as? And is the rain sensor box definitely checked?
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Online Mattk

• Forecaster
WMII rain collectors certainly work with VP1 and VP2 and vice-versa, if it's not then it is something else.

What also needs to be specifically spelled out these days is when "WeatherLink" is mentioned, do they mean WeatherLink PC or Weatherlink.com and especially in the case of old Envoys (may apply to consoles?) there are some issues with certain versions of Weatherlink PC and rain gauge configurations with wireless systems but I doubt many are still using wireless between WMII and VP1 systems?   

Offline fkapp

• Forecaster
Using weatherlink.com run through weatherlink live from vp2 and sensor suite 6332.
The 6332 is set as my anemometer instead of ISS.

The guages don't work on either the iss or 6332 but on the wm ii so 🤷

Online Mattk

• Forecaster
I can't speak for WLL and since there was mention of a console being used then from a console point of view the 6332 an only be configured as a "Wind" (with a connected anemometer) sensor (as such), no other sensors if connected to the 6332 have any bearing. As noted this is relative to a console, as for WLL?   

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
I can't speak for WLL and since there was mention of a console being used then from a console point of view the 6332 an only be configured as a "Wind" (with a connected anemometer) sensor (as such), no other sensors if connected to the 6332 have any bearing. As noted this is relative to a console, as for WLL?

WLL allows any combination of sensors and transmitters on all 8 wireless channels, including multiple full-house ISS units. (And I know of cases where all 8 are being used, in one case with 3 ISS units.)
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
I have mixed and matched the various SIM modules, both the hinged door "station" types and the ISS type with the sliding cover.

I have a "Temp" station in use as an anemometer transmitter, an anemometer transmitter used as a Rain and soil temp station, an ISS type as a temp station. Ignore what the label says, they are interchangeable. I have a temperature probe connected to my 6332 that handles my Davis VP2 anemometer. This gives me windchill on the meteohub box.

And yes, I have these reporting via WLL (and meteo* boxes)....

Can i only use this anemometer transmitter for wind? Sort of. For a console or Envoy, there is only one choice per station type. This is a console restriction, not a transmitter issue.

Edit: I just added the temperature sensor on one of my 6332 Anemometer Transmitters by checking the box for temp in the "Device Configuration" page on the Weatherlink.com site. It works on WLL.

Greg H.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 08:35:42 AM by miraculon »

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Sleuth255

My 6332 will get Solar radiation and UV sensors eventually.  I've been unable to find a good dual mount solution for these however since the Davis dual mount is designed to be installed on their integrated sensor suites.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
My 6332 will get Solar radiation and UV sensors eventually.  I've been unable to find a good dual mount solution for these however since the Davis dual mount is designed to be installed on their integrated sensor suites.

A couple of these?

https://www.davisinstruments.com/product/universal-mounting-bracket-uv-solar-radiation-humidity/
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Sleuth255

Yeah, saw those and was considering them.  It might be possible to mount two in an opposing configuration with 4x straight hardware in place of the u-bolts, but that's a pretty expensive solution that also might not extend the sensors out far enough to avoid shadow interference from the anemometer.... 

I'm probably going to end up fabricating something T shaped.  Top of T bent 90 degrees to face skyward then u-bolts securing the bottom of the T to the post.  Mount sensors to either end.  Not too difficult to do with aluminum stock, but I'd prefer SS.  I could also use a template to figure out the mounting bolt pattern.

Offline fkapp

• Forecaster
Update on my rain collector ii from wmii not working.  I plugged the rain guage and sht from the vp2 main iss into the sensor transmitter with configurations as they were with the wmii collector.  They worked fine.

This rules out configuration or transmitter issue.

The 2 rain collector ii work fine on the wm ii so they are working and have original cabling .

Based on above troubleshooting seems le conclusion is the original rain collector 2 are not compatible with 6632

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Update on my rain collector ii from wmii not working.  I plugged the rain guage and sht from the vp2 main iss into the sensor transmitter with configurations as they were with the wmii collector.  They worked fine.

This rules out configuration or transmitter issue.

The 2 rain collector ii work fine on the wm ii so they are working and have original cabling .

Based on above troubleshooting seems le conclusion is the original rain collector 2 are not compatible with 6632

The ground and contact wiring at the RJ11 connector is most likely the problem.

See this thread: https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=39042.0

Any rain gauge that provides a contact closure per tip will work if it is wired correctly.

I'll attach my connections for a Novalynx rain gauge to a SIM (hinged door type) that I use for another rain station and ground temperature. Ignore the Blu-White, Orn-White and Blu labels, they were used for connections unique to my installation. The key is the Green/Yellow need to be tied together.

Here is a paper for a logger that shows these connections on page 3 and 4. The illustration #1 showing the wiring to the RJ-11 under "Preparing the rain gauge cable" are helpful. It also shows the Yellow/Green being connected together. The connector block connection (#3) isn't relevant.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

anything