Author Topic: Do more with your data: Connect a GW1000 and a Meteobridge to your station  (Read 10642 times)

Offline WA4OPQ

• Forecaster
  • 4 stations: 2902 array, GW1000, 3 on Meteobridge
Here's my setup.  Meteobridge on the DIR-505, adjacent is the GW1000. Both are atop a dual WiFi switched outlet.
I like how compact it is.

Offline WA4OPQ

• Forecaster
Here's my revised setup. My previous setup introduced cross polarization loss to the orientation of the GW1000's internal antenna.
I added a 90 degree USB adapter and my data is uninterrupted now.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
You know the thought crossed my mind that your original setup might be a problem with the antenna but I didn't say anything because you were getting data. It seems that Fine Offset designed this with this orientation for a reason. Good to know. Though I hear the GW1000 definitely has better reception than the ObserverIP....so that is good.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Where is that power strip located? Is that the edge of desk or the floor? If that is the floor or a desk you should keep the location of the GW1000 in mind when calibrating for your total elevation when entering in Absolute pressure (station pressure). Your total elevation is ground elevation plus final elevation of your sensor on a desk or 2nd story...etc.

See here:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36912.0
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 06:28:12 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline WA4OPQ

• Forecaster
Where is that power strip located? Is that the edge of desk or the floor?

It's on the edge of the desk. I didn't add the 28" yet, I want to get a better GPS ground level altitude reading first. If I recall, I can have my GPS app average over a longer time period for additional accuracy.

Offline krojan

• Contributor
Here is how popular the Ecowitt GW1000 is today. Pretty soon this map will also show other Ecowitt consoles that will be upgraded to enable Ecowitt.net data uploads. So perhaps this won't be the best gauge to see as for GW1000 adoption. But who knows...maybe other Ecowitt console will also have this API and enable the Meteobridge to work with them. As you can see not too many. My thinking is that this new Meteobridge integration should hopefully drive a lot of new GW1000 sales. I think they are a great combination.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

* These maps also only show those stations choosing to allow their data to be public. It is the default choice when registering. Hopefully most people will grant their weather data to be public. Apologies for only showing the contiguous 48 states and Canada and part of Europe. There are no stations now in Alaska and Hawaii and other parts of Europe don't have stations.
Maybe we can look a this in a few months and see how far the GW1000 goes. And there are a few in Australia, China and other countries. Anyone can see this map without an Ecowitt device. Just create a free Ecowitt.net account. Not any different than signing up to see public Davis Weatherlink.com accounts.
At ecowitt.net, there are more and more of us.
Sorry for my English.
GW1000, HP2551-C, HP3001, HP1001.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
It used to be that the map only showed the adoption of the new GW1000. But since the latest firmware revision for other Ecowitt console(s) the map has grown to include those other than the GW1000.

Still great to see. But these other Ecowitt consoles do not have the GW1000 API. If they ever get this capability you'll know because they should then show live data in the WS View app.
Tele-Pole

Offline Lighty269

I have been happy with the Ecowitt System and Meteobridge, I will be adding more sensors, once they arrive.

Offline WA4OPQ

• Forecaster
I am two weeks into a three week vacation and my WU and CWOP feeds have died.
I can still see my station the ecowitt site. I am fairly sure my GW1000 has changed it's IP address and the meteobridge cannot find it.
I will let you know the outcome when I arrive home next week.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
The Meteobridge has a remote access feature that is truly useful. It is very easy to set up as you don't need to open firewall ports. It uses meteobridge.com.

I also recommend setting a DHCP reservation on your router so the GW1000 IP address doesn't change.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 07:16:29 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline WA4OPQ

• Forecaster
I purposely didn't set the IP with the router so that this trip would be a test. I got results.
And I use the remote access feature extensively, but somehow I deleted the shortcut icon a couple of days ago.  ](*,)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
I purposely didn't set the IP with the router so that this trip would be a test. I got results.
And I use the remote access feature extensively, but somehow I deleted the shortcut icon a couple of days ago.  ](*,)

Search your browser history. You might find your Meteobridge remote link. I use Chrome and I can see the history that I did on my computer from my mobile devices (phone, tablet).
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster

Search your browser history. You might find your Meteobridge remote link. I use Chrome and I can see the history that I did on my computer from my mobile devices (phone, tablet).

The URL to search in your history for remote Meteobridge access is:
https://admin.meteobridge.com/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

So just search for admin.meteobridge.com

Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
TIP - Meteobridge newly released version fixes a problem with Wind Averages and Gusts on WU (when using a GW1000).  Reboot your Meteobridge to get the newest version.

Before fix:

After fix:

This update doesn't fix old data on WU. I'm able to show before and after screenshots because I have multiple consoles and different WU IDs reporting from same sensor array.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 10:36:44 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline WA4OPQ

• Forecaster
I returned from vacation and, as I suspected, DHCP had given the GW1000 a new address.
So reserving the address in the router config is the only solution.
Now that I'm back I'm going to add a couple of new remote stations to my network.
I'll be buying more GW1000s and selling my ObserverIPs

Offline lse

• Ecowitt GW1000; WH2910C; Saintlogic Clone
    • Weathercloud - Suttenbrunn
I have set up succesfully a GW1000 with a meteobride as described by galfert and everything is working fine, except, that the solar radiation sensor is always read as 0 by the meteobridge. UV index is read fine, but solar is always read as 0 in the meteobridge live data (and therfore of course also transmitted as 0 to weatherlink services by meteobridge). The GW1000 is reporting a correct solar value > 0 in the WSview app live data and GW1000 is also sending the correct solar value into the ecowitt.net cloud (bypassing meteobridge).
Is this a known restriction? Does anybody else have the same problem? Or is something wrong with my meteobridge setup?

Live Data (from meteobridge)
Sensor   Signal   Metric Data   Imperial Data      
Solar          25 sec   0W/mē           0W/mē
UV          25 sec   3.0uvindex   3.0uvindex
WU:IHOLLABR17;
PWS:SUTTENBRUNNPWS;
AWEKAS:7197;
CWOP:FW5813;
ecowitt.net

Offline jaredlu

The same to my GW1000 and Metobridge

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
This is a newly introduced bug. Solar Radiation was working fine at least through the June 22 update. Now with the July 12 update it isn't working. Interestingly the release notes say that this latest version is supposed to fix this newly introduced bug, but it does not really fix it.

I've contacted Boris to take a look at this issues. Keep a look at the release notes web page for the update. When you see it published then restart your Meteobridge and you'll be all set.

Link for Meteobridge release notes:
https://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Forum

Obviously ignore the notes for the July 12th update which erroneously says it fixes this issue.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 01:33:44 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Latest update from Meteobridge finally fixes GW1000 Solar Radiation. I still have daylight and it's working. Not sure why the release notes has a date of July 16th when today is the 14th. Maybe it won't be released until the 16th? My Meteobridge is actually showing July 15th version with build number 13030. I do know that Boris was using my GW1000 to test so perhaps I got it before it is officially available? Reboot and see if you get it.

I get that it is already tomorrow (the 15th) in Germany. Big Thank you to Boris for burning the midnight oil.  =D>
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 06:36:13 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline lse

• Ecowitt GW1000; WH2910C; Saintlogic Clone
    • Weathercloud - Suttenbrunn
I rebooted my meteobridge, got the 13030 build from July 15th and can confirm that solar radiation sensor from GW1000 is now read/computed correctly.
Thx for the very fast remedy. I am new to this forum but I really appreciate the dedication and responsiveness of its members.
WU:IHOLLABR17;
PWS:SUTTENBRUNNPWS;
AWEKAS:7197;
CWOP:FW5813;
ecowitt.net

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
and then optionally also buy the AmbientWeather.net license ($150) if you want that extra optional feature.

Why would anyone consider paying $150 when you could buy an ObserverIP for $35 and dedicate it for ambientweather.net.

Looking over this old thread I found this question not answered but it was really more of an assertion than a question. It was a good idea but in practice it would only work for some people and even then it may not be the best idea to just get an ObserverIP for the sake of gaining Ambientweather.net upload access. So there is more to this and I'll get into explaining it. It was a good idea to use an ObserverIP instead of buying an Ambientweather.net license ($150). But there are a few drawbacks to the ObserverIP over an Ambientweather.net license.

* UPDATE - March 2020 - Ambientweather.net license for Meteobridge has new lower price, now just $100

• The Ambient branded ObserverIP is the only one of these type models that can upload to Ambientweather.net. So a different branded ObserverIP won't work.
  • since a different branded ObserverIP won't work for Ambientweather.net then that means using an Ambient ObserverIP is something that is difficult to obtain outside of the USA.
  • Even if you could get your hand on an Ambient branded ObserverIP outside of the USA it might not work if the frequency of your station is not 915 MHz...and as luck would have it the rest of the world Fine Offset brands don't often use 915 MHz.
  • If you could use and aquire an Ambient ObserverIP then chances are high that you already have another Ambient display console that already uploads to AmbientWeather.net...making an ObserverIP redundant
  • Getting an ObserverIP for the sake of Ambientweather.net is yet another console to need calibration and to have around. Simpler to just have it all built into the Meteobridge. Yeah it saves a ton of money and that was the point of the initial recommendation, so I get it, but still it's a negative.

Also if you think you don't need Ambientweather.net because the GW1000 gives you Ecowitt.net then you're in for a surprise. There are things you can do with Ambientweather.net that you can't [yet] with Ecowitt.net. There is Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant integration, but Ecowitt says that's coming...much later though. Also there are some 3rd party integrations (scripts) that have been written to use Ambientweather.net API that does not yet exist with Ecowitt. Don't confuse the Ambientweather.net website API and the GW1000 API...two different things for different purposes.

Bottom line is that the Ambientweather.net license ($150) on a Meteobridge has purpose that can't always be solved via an ObserverIP. Also I know all this has been in regards to Fine Offset clones but Meteobridge can be used by many other brands. Having this Ambientweather.net license may be useful if you ever change to say a Davis station.

* UPDATE - March 2020 - Ambientweather.net license for Meteobridge has new lower price, now just $100
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 09:48:27 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline pimohdaimaoh

• Forecaster
  • "Be aware to our nature"
    • PIMOHWEATHER
Buying now with Soil moisture sensor, but first asking them the details first

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
When ordering a GW1000 you must specify the frequency that you need to match your other station hardware. There are 3 frequencies to pick from; 433, 868, and 915 MHz.
Tele-Pole

Offline pimohdaimaoh

• Forecaster
  • "Be aware to our nature"
    • PIMOHWEATHER
yes im using 433 MHZ frequency

Offline WA4OPQ

• Forecaster
Bottom line is that the Ambientweather.net license ($150) on a Meteobridge has purpose that can't always be solved via an ObserverIP.

What I've been trying to say (not totally successfully) is that I think the $150 license is overpriced for a whitelisted MAC.
I won't try to defend a $35 ObserverIP, but for a person in the US I feel it would be smarter to invest in hardware, like a WS-2902A for $129.99. It gives access to AmbientWeather.net and, if nothing else, a lot of spare array parts.

anything