Author Topic: What am l doing wrong?  (Read 941 times)

Offline redeye64

What am l doing wrong?
« on: January 27, 2020, 03:58:23 PM »
l deleted Cumulus 1.9.4 and downloaded MX but don't really know whats going on.......only basic computer skills here.
lt seems to be running, WU, Awekas, Weathercloud etc are updating as per normal, but to access MX l am having to double click on "CumulusMX.exe". This opens a cmd window which then allows the page to open - if l don't do this the page won't connect although as l said, everything seems to be running properly in the background.
What am l missing / doing wrong? (in laymans terms please  :roll:  )

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: What am l doing wrong?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 05:15:59 PM »
That is how CumulusMX program runs; in the CMD screen.  Just minimize that and let it sit until you want to stop the program, and type in a browser localhost:8998 and that will bring up the Dashboard where you can see all the data and enter the setting pages.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 05:29:04 PM »
As noted above, the "cmd" bit is effectively the server you connect to with your web browser to view the "console".

Offline redeye64

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 09:48:44 PM »
Thanks for the info :)  l've saved a shortcut to the desktop to run the cmd when needed

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 10:41:37 PM »
Actually, the cmd needs to run all the time to continuously gather your weather stations data .. then use http://localhost:8998/ to view the current and historical data.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline redeye64

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 10:52:06 PM »
Actually, the cmd needs to run all the time to continuously gather your weather stations data .. then use http://localhost:8998/ to view the current and historical data.
thats where i'm stuck....it's not running all the time, doesn't seem to be installed properly judging by the fact l need to double-click "cumulusmx.exe" every time l turn on the computer

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 10:58:44 PM »
Weather software usually expects the underlying computer and OS to be on 24/7 and not enter 'sleep' nor 'hibernate' modes .. that's to ensure the data is collected regularly.

It's normal to have to restart CumulusMX after the system itself starts up .. you could add a shortcut for it into your Startup menu if you like.  I just double-click if the system is restarted.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline redeye64

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2020, 11:08:32 PM »
l thought that was probably the case, thanks for educating an weather addicted newby  [tup]

Offline Waimarie

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 01:53:20 AM »
I went through exactly the same when I got MX installed.  It confused the h*ll out of me until I got to the "Localhost" bit.  Then it all worked.  I have an old laptop running 24/7 that also runs my P2P downloads and hosts all my ext hard drives.  I use Win 10 Pro so have remote desktop to connect to the laptop when I want to look at Cumulus.  Seems to work ok.
Fine Offset WH3081 (Deceased)
Mi-Sol  WH2900C
Ecowitt HP2553
Ecowitt GW 1000 915MHz
Ecowitt GW 1000 433MHz
Ecowitt WH31
Ecowitt WH51
Ecowitt WH57
WU: IFEATH6
WOW: 910486001