Author Topic: google rankings and wiki  (Read 2967 times)

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
google rankings and wiki
« on: September 15, 2009, 10:11:00 AM »
I am in postion 1 2 or 3 for most common google searches ... The other day I added my site to the wiki page for Unionville. The next day I dropped a spot due to this....  :?:   Doh, I was trying to increase traffic and potentially scores, and it had the opposite effect on number 2.

For this search I am now number three 
main street unionville weather

Behind wiki, and another site I added my url to, the geourl.org site...?

Oh well, they all get to me eventually.

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
Re: google rankings and wiki
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 10:37:05 AM »
Perhaps you should purchase another domain name, like Unionville Weather.org or something.  And setup a redirect to it.

I did a google search of common terms related to you, and mackweather comes to the top.  But who would search with "Mackweather" for Unionville, ON weather conditions.  That is one of the reasons I choose mountcrawfordweather.org for myself.  In other words your weather url, should include the name of the location it serves.
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 10:53:06 AM »
I'm good, just an observation

unionville ontario weather, 2nd (first link after The Weather Network, but oddly my earthquake page is listed?)
unionville canada weather, 4th, after weatherbug, and 2 sites that link to me.
main street weather, 1st

Andrew

Perhaps you should purchase another domain name, like Unionville Weather.org or something.  And setup a redirect to it.

I did a google search of common terms related to you, and mackweather comes to the top.  But who would search with "Mackweather" for Unionville, ON weather conditions.  That is one of the reasons I choose mountcrawfordweather.org for myself.  In other words your weather url, should include the name of the location it serves.

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 11:23:29 AM »
One thing I do recommend is never subscribe to those "Search optimization sites" that say they will provide you with better results.  They are just selling snake oil.  In fact many "Search optimization sites" will hurt your overall ranking, and will cause google to think that you are no good.   
Google bases it's ranking on cross-links, and the first 1500 characters of what it finds when crawling your website.  But also remember if google observes a large amount of links to your site in a short period, it will assume you are spam and push your rankings down the list.  So only drop a link to your site occasionally as you move around the web.  I observed this myself when I just started putting my url/link to the signatures of the forums I visit, google shoved me down to the next page.  A week later I was back on the 1st page and the #1 result.  So be patient, it will come around.
Also look into signing up for the google analytical service, that will help you a lot with better search results.

SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 02:20:54 PM »
Good points Sam.

I would never go near one of those search optimization "providers", especially that one in India that keeps captcha spamming me.

I am quite happy being on page one, near or at the top in most case. Did nothing special to get there, just good keywords I guess, and those smart little googel bots.

Andrew

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 07:13:23 PM »
 =D>  Your site gets plenty of hits, Andrew, and it's not just because of Google.
Your site is accurate, and reliable!
 8-)
Henry
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline capeweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.capeweather.com
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 11:40:57 PM »
A very handy free tool that I use to tweak my Google keywords is Googlemon to find out position. Enter as many keywords into this handy scanner and you will see exactly where it ranks on Google. Run reports and also see the changes as you perform more scans as it saves your last report to analyze comparisons.

http://www.cleverstat.com/en/google-monitor-query.htm

Chris
Cape Coral, Florida

Offline Maroney

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 11:56:18 AM »
mackbig,
If you want to move up on google, you need to work at it. It just doesn't happen.
First, you need to go to an external style sheet, google uses a crawler and it's got to get thru all that code before it hits your content...second, content, this is the holy grail of all rankings. Focus on select keywords. Your site can't be everything for all needs.
If you really want rankings, get a few good SEO books, learn to code, and remember, content is KING!
good luck, it's a lot of fun, and can be worth $$$ if you get good at it.
Paul

Offline Axelvold

• Forecaster
    • Axelvold's weather and photo
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 03:18:44 PM »
My site is No:1 at Google if your type in Axelvold.  :lol: =D>
Lars Magnusson
Axelvold / Sweden
55° 57' 41" N / 13° 6' 1" E
WX Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 09:50:21 PM »
I dont want/need to increase my rankings, was just commenting how my own entry on wiki dropped my site one spot in a certain search.  Just shows they have more pull than little old me.  Quite happy where I am.

Andrew

Offline Maroney

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 10:34:25 AM »
Hey Andrew,
Sorry, I thought you were looking for rankings.
I've seen too many folks that are surprised with their rankings. They think having their friend click their site will improve rank, etc.
Like your site... real clean, you've organized a lot of content effectively.
Paul
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 10:40:29 AM by Maroney »

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 06:59:45 AM »
...been away for a few days. 
No problem Paul,  I know you were trying to help.

Thanks for the comments on my site.

Andrew

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 05:02:14 PM »
I am in postion 1 2 or 3 for most common google searches ... The other day I added my site to the wiki page for Unionville.

My weather site got taken off the wiki page for Stillwater under external links.  Maybe you all who listed your site on the wiki page for your town should recheck it.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 05:04:15 PM by Bunty »

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2009, 06:51:02 AM »
Mine is still there. It was on my last neighbourhood wiki for years...  I dont think something like this could be wiped globally on wiki.  Someone with edit ability (could be pretty much anyone in the whole world) decided your link was not "worthy".  Or it was an accident by an editing newbe.  I would just add it back.  If it gets wiped again, I think there is some sort of arbitration facility in the wiki community over contested links.

Andrew

My weather site got taken off the wiki page for Stillwater under external links.  Maybe you all who listed your site on the wiki page for your town should recheck it.

anything