Author Topic: WeatherLink IP (Windows) and Data Logger problems (using LAN)  (Read 8984 times)

Offline Photoscout

WeatherLink IP (Windows) and Data Logger problems (using LAN)
« on: September 06, 2011, 02:14:16 PM »
I just got a Vantage Vue and it works great. I also got WeatherLink IP for Windows. I followed the installation instructions precisely and the setup doesn’t work.

I tried registering (weatherlink.com) and going through their setup. I get the following error message:

DID: Could not find any data from your device. Please check operation on your WeatherLink IP and try again.

I re-tried everything and used the trouble shooting guide in the WeatherLink installation guide without resolve.

I then launched the WeatherLink IP program on my computer and selected the Communication Port information as follows:

Communications: TCP/IP
TCP/IP Connection:  TCP, Port 22222 (default)
 (Checked) Local Device ID
Clicked: FIND

Error: Device not found

The activity light on the Data Logger is illuminated and the LAN port I used on my 2WIRE router is also illuminated.

I contacted Davis tech support and they thought my router may be the problem. I contacted 2WIRE and they did some tests and we determined that the ports are all open and working. They could not see activity from the data logger. Davis techs suggested I try another router so I tried the setup on my friend’s router and got the same results (same errors).

At this point, Davis has shipped me a new data logger which I am awaiting. Davis told me that ‘bad’ data loggers are rare; they think it may still be my router.  I’m crossing my fingers that the replacement logger will solve the problem because I hate to box everything back up and send it back in for a refund.

Thoughts?

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
Re: WeatherLink IP (Windows) and Data Logger problems (using LAN)
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 03:06:49 PM »
Did Davis ask you to try this tool: http://toolbox.davisnet.com/downloads/Weather/Network_Info/

If so, what were the results?  I'm wondering if there might be a DHCP-related problem here.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 03:12:08 PM by d_l »
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 03:07:31 PM »
Just a few days ago someone had a problem with WLIP not working.  
It is absolutely vital that the power be removed from the console prior to connecting the logger.
Place the console in set up mode.
Remove the AC adapter plug.
Remove the batteries from the console.
Follow the directions in the manual that was included with the WeatherLink data logger.
The AC adapter must be used with the console for the data logger to operate.  The system is no longer a battery operated unit.
Use WeatherLink software to set up your WLIP.  Then you can close WeatherLink and use whatever wx software you wish.
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 05:26:56 PM »
Is your router DHCP config setup properly or enabled?

Offline Photoscout

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 01:40:05 PM »
D_I,
The techs have not mentioned that utility but maybe they will if the replacement logger doesn’t solve the issue.

Wxtech,
I did follow the setup instructions precisely (I’m glad I read it beforehand before connecting things up).

Flag,
I agree; it will probably be the DHCP configuration as the issue.

Offline Photoscout

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 04:20:10 PM »
UPDATE:

I received a replacement data logger from Davis and the technician walked me through the setup procedure. The new data logger worked fine but the WeatherLink IP program was not able to prorogate any data. The technician provided me with a remote IP address which solved the problem.

=D>

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 09:50:48 PM »
Glad to hear your problem is solved Photoscout.  I have been having the same problem for 3 weeks now and Davis is sending me a replacement WLIP, which should be here tomorrow.  I also contacted my tele. company and they have assigned my router its own ISP.  I hope the problem is solved when I hook the new unit up.  The boys on this forum know what to do, so I suggest that you stay connected and review the new issues frequently.  You will stay far ahead of the game this way.  Without wanting to go out on a limb, I also suggest you "Private Message" Al at  wxtech or Dalecoy for a detailed analysis of any future problems...both are worth their weight in gold and their collective advise will always hit close to home. Best of luck to you.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 10:51:22 PM by wmcatty »
Davis Wireless Pro2 with Solar Sensor; Weatherlink 5.9.3; VWS; WLIP; CWOP DW8373; Wunderground KTXGATES4; CoCoRaHS=TX-CRL-4

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 09:59:44 PM »
... they have assigned my router its own ISP.  ...

I'm guessing you mean a fixed (static) IP address. 

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 10:43:02 PM »
I sure hope that is what it means.  I am not a tech guru, but my telephone company IT tech said he had assigned my router its own IP address (and gave the address to me for future reference) so the data would flow uninterrupted and would not be in "competition" with my normal internet data flow.  Is there something I should have asked him about in more detail or gotten better details on?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 10:47:31 PM by wmcatty »
Davis Wireless Pro2 with Solar Sensor; Weatherlink 5.9.3; VWS; WLIP; CWOP DW8373; Wunderground KTXGATES4; CoCoRaHS=TX-CRL-4

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 10:55:54 PM »
I sure hope that is what it means.  I am not a tech guru, but my telephone company IT tech said he had assigned my router its own IP address (and gave the address to me for future reference) so the data would flow uninterrupted and would not be in "competition" with my normal internet data flow.  Is there something I should have asked him about in more detail or gotten better details on?

No, nothing else you need to know.

IP = Internet Protocol (address)
     ISP = Internet Service Provider

[And having a static IP address is a good thing - especially if you don't have to pay extra for it - but the rest of what the tech said (if you're quoting it accurately) sounds like BS]

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 01:38:48 AM »
Sounds more like your router now has a fix (static) IP as opposed to the WLIP logger IP address? 

anything