Author Topic: Is it worth fixing my anemometer on my Vantage Vue  (Read 1217 times)

Offline Tinley

Is it worth fixing my anemometer on my Vantage Vue
« on: October 31, 2019, 10:48:48 AM »
The anemometer has stopped working on my 6 year old Davis Vantage Vue weather station. 

Considering that it is 6 years old is it worth trying to get it fixed or should I look for a newer station?

If I get a new/different manufacture station would I be able to "import" the historical Davis data from my PC into the new station's software for graphing purposes?

Thanks in advance.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Is it worth fixing my anemometer on my Vantage Vue
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 11:18:31 AM »
The Vue is not worth buying to begin with. Because of its design whenever the humidity sensor goes bad you have to replace the whole thing and it is not cost effective. That is a common occurrence with the Vue. Therefore I say get a VP2.

Just look a this recent post regarding this. And there are many many more examples of this sort of trouble all over this forum.
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=38070.0

If you want to switch to a different manufacture/brand weather station and you want to keep your data you have not said where your data currently resides. You said it is in your PC but using what program?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 09:43:11 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Tinley

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 11:38:39 AM »
The Vue is not worth buying to begin with. Because of its design whenever the humidity sensor goes bad you have to replace the whole thing and it is not cost effective. That is a common occurrence with the Vue. Therefore I say get a VP2.

Just look a this recent post regarding this. And there are many many more examples of this sort of trouble all over this forum.
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=38070.0

If want to switch to a different manufacture/brand weather station and you want to keep your data you have not said where your data currently resides. You said it is in your PC but using what program?

I'm currently using the WeatherLink Data Logger/Software on my PC.

That's not encouraging about the humidity sensors.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 01:31:15 PM »
The plus side of going VP2 is you can re-use your logger and software.  All you'd need to do is tell your software you have the VP2.  But it won't really change the way the software behaves.  It would be as smooth a transition as you could.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 01:31:47 PM »
Oh, and re-use your existing console too.  As long as you don't split your channels on the VP2 with the different sensors.
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline Tinley

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 01:51:14 PM »
The plus side of going VP2 is you can re-use your logger and software.  All you'd need to do is tell your software you have the VP2.  But it won't really change the way the software behaves.  It would be as smooth a transition as you could.

Are the sensors more durable or accurate with the VP2?

What would be an example of why you would split a channel? 

I don't see any need to split, but are you indicating that I would have to purchase a new console or logger if I wanted to?

Thanks

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 02:25:39 PM »

No the sensors do not seem to be more durable with the VP2. But the advantage with the VP2 is that you can easily replace any of them without having to throw the whole thing out. And the replacement parts is reasonable...for example the temp/hum sensor is ~$50.

Some people have more than one transmitter as they separate sensors or have additional sensors...hence creating separate channels. If you just keep the ISS with all its components then they are just all using the one transmitter. This allows you to place sensors apart from each other and to have extra sensors than the normal set found on the ISS.

I don't see any need to split, but are you indicating that I would have to purchase a new console or logger if I wanted to?

Thanks
You don't need to purchase a new console nor logger if you just use the ISS as it comes and don't introduce extra transmitters.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Tinley

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 02:35:46 PM »

No the sensors do not seem to be more durable with the VP2. But the advantage with the VP2 is that you can easily replace any of them without having to throw the whole thing out. And the replacement parts is reasonable...for example the temp/hum sensor is ~$50.

Some people have more than one transmitter as they separate sensors or have additional sensors...hence creating separate channels. If you just keep the ISS with all its components then they are just all using the one transmitter. This allows you to place sensors apart from each other and to have extra sensors than the normal set found on the ISS.

Thanks
You don't need to purchase a new console nor logger if you just use the ISS as it comes and don't introduce extra transmitters.

Got it, thanks!

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2019, 03:02:51 PM »

I have my anemometer up above my house with a transmitter set to channel 8.  My ISS station with the other sensors is on the ground on channel 1. 

Your Vue console would be able to act as a second console as long as you don't do something like I did.  If you have your anemometer plugged into the ISS, everyone would be on channel 1.

I just thought  I would mention that so you could put either the old console or new one somewhere convenient in the house for you to read.  And leave the other near your PC like you have now.

Offline Tinley

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2019, 11:24:58 AM »
When I looked at my WeatherLink Ver 6.0.5 software for configuring a new station it doesn't list a Vantage Pro2, it does however list a Vantage Pro and a Vantage Pro Plus.  If I do get a the Vantage Pro2 ISS what would I pick for the new station, Vantage Pro?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2019, 03:42:22 PM »
If I do get a the Vantage Pro2 ISS what would I pick for the new station, Vantage Pro?
Select whichever console you're using, not ISS.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2019, 04:55:32 PM »
When I looked at my WeatherLink Ver 6.0.5 software for configuring a new station it doesn't list a Vantage Pro2, it does however list a Vantage Pro and a Vantage Pro Plus.  If I do get a the Vantage Pro2 ISS what would I pick for the new station, Vantage Pro?

It's always been a slight anomaly that Davis did not update this setting, even just saying eg Vantage Pro (2). But the reality is that it doesn't need updating because the data formats are essentially the same for VP1 and VP2 (or, more accurately, when Weatherlink starts up it can ascertain eg which firmware version the console has and so can tell whether it's a VP1 or older or newer VP2). Bottom line is that you can just pick VP or VP+ according to which ISS is being received.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2019, 05:45:30 PM »
Bottom line is that you can just pick VP or VP+ according to which ISS is being received.
When I switched from a VP2 console (VP2 ISS) to a Vue console and then go through "Walkthrough Setup", WL specifically instructs to "reconfigure station" because a "Vue console was detected." What that means in the long run, don't know, but I didn't argue with it. When continuing further on to "Set Transceiver", then you select "VP2 ISS".

Offline Tinley

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2019, 06:18:59 PM »
Ok, thanks for replies I'm going to purchase a Vantage Pro 2 ISS.

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
  • Vantage Pro II, tripod mount, 30 feet elevation
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2019, 09:31:58 AM »
I have a Pro II myself.  But I recently purchased a new Vue for my other property.  I had a Vue previously and it worked very well for a long time. 
I think, when you send them back to Davis for repair, they basically or outright just send you what amounts to a New Vue! The cost vs a new Vue or a new ISS is pretty discounted.

Offline Tinley

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2019, 05:23:43 AM »
I have a Pro II myself.  But I recently purchased a new Vue for my other property.  I had a Vue previously and it worked very well for a long time. 
I think, when you send them back to Davis for repair, they basically or outright just send you what amounts to a New Vue! The cost vs a new Vue or a new ISS is pretty discounted.

Good to know, I've already ordered a VP2 ISS so maybe at some point in the future I'll send the Vue ISS in for rework to have as a second unit.

anything