Author Topic: What is required to do what  (Read 734 times)

Offline Ahill

• Contributor
What is required to do what
« on: March 15, 2024, 01:27:19 PM »
So i asked this on another thread and didn’t get an answer so i will try here.
I am new with getting weather instruments so still trying to learn all the hardware and the software that is used for different things.

I assume different people do different things with their equipment other than just looking at the console just to see the current conditions outside. Curious what some others do. Maybe there is something i haven’t thought of , not aware, as everyone has different uses and interests. I would like to expand on things but also need to know the possibilities/options with a pws and what is needed, but at the least for the moment is keeping better historical records. Im sure with unlimited money though the possibilities are also endless lol.
Here is what i posted in another section.
Thanks

“ Data is stored at AmbientWeather.net at a rate of once per 5 minutes.

After one month, data is stored at a rate of once per 30 minutes.

Archived data is stored for one year. All data is removed after one year.”

The VP2 says:
“ Get your own local forecast, highs/lows, totals or averages, and graphs for virtually all weather variables over the past 24 days, months - even years - all without using a PC.”

But i want to store the data more frequently and for a longer period but i don’t know how to write my own app or the process. It does have an sd card in the console but I don’t know how far back that can save the data either. What equipment, programming would i need to continuously store my own data as you say and how does the VP2 do it differently without a pc

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: What is required to do what
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2024, 04:55:08 PM »
Hi,
The VP2 says:“ Get your own local forecast, highs/lows, totals or averages, and graphs for virtually all weather variables over the past 24 days, months - even years - all without using a PC.”But i want to store the data more frequently and for a longer period but i don’t know how to write my own app or the process. It does have an sd card in the console but I don’t know how far back that can save the data either. What equipment, programming would i need to continuously store my own data as you say and how does the VP2 do it differently without a pc

With a PC or RPi connected with the station or with the station's online service you can run a program like CumulusMX and store and display all your data, forever...  at the interval you select.  This works with Davis and Ecowitt.

Without a PC you will need an online service;
Such as the Davis Weatherlink.com where data is saved in either 15-min, 5-min, or 1-minute interval depending on your subscription plan.  Davis offers the Weatherlink Live and the Weatherlink Console as local devices that receive data from the VP2 or Vue ISS and extra sensors and can upload to Weatherlink.com. 

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Ahill

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2024, 05:11:53 PM »
Thanks its getting little clearer lol. So how log does davis save it for if i just used their service and if i use a RPi, instead of a pc what else do i need. A monitor etc. sorry i am not familiar how a Rpi works exactly. I know basically its a small computer. Last time i did any programming it was dos back in the mid 80’s and last pc i put together was around the time windows 98 came out lol
So i am a little out of touch with all the new things but im sure i can get the hang of it as long as its not too intense.
A pc just downloaded CumulusMX? A Rpi i need what? And can everything be easily displayed in a excel spreadsheet format. Does the cumulasmx automatically do that for you.
 sorry for all the questions just need a little more direction on the simplest way.
Like why use a RPI if you have a pc. Wouldn’t it be easier to just use the program on your pc or am i missing something. Again sorry for the newb questions

Perhaps if i also knew what most do with their pws data would help determine what direction i would go
Thanks
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 05:15:08 PM by Ahill »

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2024, 06:06:01 PM »

Hi,
So how log does davis save it for if i just used their service
Presumably forever, if there is such a thing.  I only started uploading in 2018 and that is all still there. I know of someone with much longer.

if i use a RPi, instead of a pc what else do i need.  A monitor etc. sorry i am not familiar how a Rpi works exactly.
I also am not familiar but correct a monitor, keyboard/mouse, and storage device.  Here is a Wiki https://www.cumuluswiki.org/a/Raspberry_Pi_computer_page

Last time i did any programming it was dos back in the mid 80’s
I remember those times and Basic so with your programing DOS, you're one up on me.

A pc just downloaded CumulusMX?
Yes, downloaded the latest version zip  https://www.cumuluswiki.org/a/Software#Latest_build_distribution_download
Unzip, copy full unzipped in its own folder i.e. c:\CumulusMX
Run the C:\CumulusMX\CumulusMX.exe for the first step, then follow a brief first-time Wizard

And can everything be easily displayed in a excel spreadsheet format. Does the cumulasmx automatically do that for you
This website http://www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.php  is somewhat similar to what the PC dashboard looks like, but obviously some extra things in the PC program that is not on the website such as the 5-minute and daily logs.  Logs are saved in .txt format so totally visible and understandable.  Can be read by Excel but why?

sorry for all the questions just need a little more direction on the simplest way.
No problem as I have communicated with several in much the same experience. 

Like why use a RPI if you have a pc. Wouldn’t it be easier to just use the program on your pc
Agreed, that's why I never used the RPi I bought!

Perhaps if i also knew what most do with their pws data would help determine what direction i would go
Good question for a new post.
I'd say most also send to the various weather services like WU, CWOP, WOW, PWS, etc. (all can automatically be updated by CumulusMX after you get registered with those services), and get your own website (for which CumulusMX can upload the ongoing near-live data, and also has its own basic template that can be quickly installed when you have a domain and webhost) http://www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Ahill

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2024, 06:28:20 PM »
I'd say most also send to the various weather services like WU, CWOP, WOW, PWS, etc. (all can automatically be updated by CumulusMX after you get registered with those services), and get your own website (for which CumulusMX can upload the ongoing near-live data, and also has its own basic template that can be quickly installed when you have a domain and webhost) http://www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm.

Enjoy,
Paul
[/quote]

I send data to cwop, ambient.net wu etc but ambient only stores the data for 1 year according to them. I was not sure how long Davis stored it though.
Sound like using the Cumulus program with a pc is the more simple route and i have to see how it displays all your stored data. I will check out those links. if Davis stores basically everything forever does its service basically do the same thing as cumulus or is there an advantage to using cumulus. From what you are saying cumulus sends the data to the services vs using ambientcwop etc and does it work on a mac as well as pc
Thanks again for all your help and information
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 06:30:05 PM by Ahill »

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2024, 06:51:07 PM »

Hi,
Sound like using the Cumulus program with a pc is the more simple route and i have to see how it displays all your stored data.
Monthly log file:
Code: [Select]
Line # Date (dd/mm/yy) Time Temp Hum Dew point Wind speed Recent high gust Average wind bearing Rainfall rate Rainfall so far Sea level pressure Rainfall counter Inside temp Inside hum Current gust Wind chill Heat Index UV Index Solar Rad ET Annual ET Apparent temp Max Solar rad Sun hours Wind bearing RG-11 Rain Rain Since Midnight Feels like Humidex
4018 15/03/24 00:00 5.9 85 2.4 11.2 19.3 96 3.6 0.0 1008.1 176.6 26.3 32 8.6 4.3 5.9 0.0 0 0.00 64.19 2.4 0 0.0 93 0.0 0.0 3.5 5.9
4019 15/03/24 00:05 5.9 85 2.3 13.1 27.8 86 2.2 0.2 1007.8 176.8 26.2 32 8.6 3.8 5.9 0.0 0 0.00 64.19 1.9 0 0.0 90 0.0 0.2 3.1 5.9
4020 15/03/24 00:10 5.9 85 2.3 12.1 19.3 84 1.4 0.2 1008.4 176.8 26.3 32 10.7 3.9 5.9 0.0 0 0.00 64.19 2.1 0 0.0 81 0.0 0.2 3.3 5.9

Dayfile:
Code: [Select]
Line # Date (dd/mm/yy) Max gust Max gust bearing Max gust time Min temp Min temp time Max temp Max temp time Min pressure Min pressure time Max pressure Max pressure time Max rainfall rate Max rainfall rate time Total rainfall Avg temp Total wind run High avg wind speed High avg wind speed time Low humidity Low humidity time High humidity High humidity time Total ET Total hours of sunshine High heat index High heat index time High apparent temp High apparent temp time Low apparent temp Low apparent temp time High hourly rain High hourly rain time Low wind chill Low wind chill time High dew point High dew point time Low dew point Low dew point time Dominant wind bearing Heating degree days Cooling degree days High solar rad High solar rad time High UV-I High UV-I time High feels like High feels like time Low feels like Low feels like time High humidex High humidex time Chill hours High 24 hour rain High 24 hour rain time
5611 03/03/24 36.4 157 15:28 -0.9 04:19 10.5 15:35 1017.4 22:53 1022.0 07:03 0.0 00:00 0.0 5.5 185.3 19.2 16:02 46 14:21 88 04:31 1.09 1.9 10.5 15:35 6.8 13:06 -3.3 04:19 0.0 00:00 -1.1 06:00 3.9 12:34 -4.1 04:09 145 12.8 0.0 258 13:34 1.3 12:56 8.5 14:13 -1.8 06:00 9.9 13:11 2717.3 0.6 00:00
5612 04/03/24 36.4 224 13:42 4.7 04:46 19.8 14:13 1013.9 23:53 1018.6 09:01 0.0 00:00 0.0 12.0 197.2 17.5 12:48 38 12:21 84 02:49 2.54 7.5 19.8 14:13 17.8 14:12 2.1 02:40 0.0 00:00 3.9 02:44 10.9 14:05 0.3 09:00 163 6.4 0.1 643 13:13 2.8 12:14 18.3 14:12 3.3 02:44 22.0 14:07 2725.5 0.0 00:00
5613 05/03/24 25.7 170 01:55 4.3 21:07 14.6 09:42 1010.1 13:14 1014.1 00:23 41.4 09:52 4.2 9.2 123.9 14.4 09:30 44 09:40 88 23:18 0.79 2.0 14.6 09:42 13.5 11:20 1.1 20:54 2.6 10:00 4.3 21:07 9.1 11:27 0.5 00:37 157 9.0 0.0 497 09:22 1.7 13:01 13.8 09:43 2.3 20:54 15.2 09:42 2733.4 4.2 14:22
NOTE: header description and data don't line up due to different tab width, but you get the message...

and does it work on a mac as well as pc
Yes.  However my experience is only with PC/Windows.  I should mention that like most weather programs CumulusMX works best if running 24/7 but if it needs to be stopped it will catch up the missed data if it is available from a station logger or cloud source, like Davis Weatherlink. 

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Ahill

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2024, 09:48:35 PM »
Thank you Paul
Lastly how does the cumulus program differ from the Davis weatherlink data.
Ex. Why would i get the program if all the data is recorded and is available to view with Davis unless its just a preference thing how you record,send and to whom.
I currently have ambient/ecowitt but considering adding Davis equipment and running both.
I assume the program works with my ambient pws as well. As for running 24/7 i guess thats where a separate Rpi might come in handy vs using your pc. Not sure how you record yours.
And yes the website was on the mind but wasn’t sure how to go about doing it with the pws. Just wasn’t sure on how to go about that as well.
Again it’s been awhile since i did anything too in depth. Last time i even did a domain was about 20 years ago using Godaddy and just about everything is so different. Im sure its probably much simpler nowadays just need to get familiar with how everything works now.
Then there is a bridge with software which i need to figure out how they work as well.
Regards, T
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 09:52:16 PM by Ahill »

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2024, 11:28:27 PM »

Hi,
Lastly how does the cumulus program differ from the Davis weatherlink data.
Ex. Why would i get the program if all the data is recorded and is available to view with Davis
A weather program like CumulusMX does more than show and save data.  Davis do have their own program called "Weatherlink PC" but that has not had a revision for years.  I also still use it... on a separate PC.  The program can display locally and also upload specific/customized data, graphics and files through the use of "webtags".  There are over 800 webtags in Cumulus http://komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/WebTags.txt which can be used for website or local reports.  CumulusMX can also be used to import in a MySQL database.  And more...

I assume the program works with my ambient pws as well.
Yes, there are many Ecowitt users with CumulusMX.  There are different station setting options depending on the station type and method of accessing the live and archived data.

As for running 24/7 i guess thats where a separate Rpi might come in handy vs using your pc. Not sure how you record yours.
I run CumulusMX 24/7 on a dedicated PC Windows 10.  I have had a Davis VP2 since July 2008 and Cumulus data since Oct 2008.  I also have an old Acer Windows 8 running the original Cumulus and Davis Weatherlink PC and these upload to different website pages.  I am somewhat aware of Ecowitt and had a station and extra air quality and soil moisture sensors that they provided in their initial marketing in North America https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=34626.msg352043#msg352043

And yes the website was on the mind but wasn’t sure how to go about doing it with the pws. Just wasn’t sure on how to go about that as well.
Again it’s been awhile since i did anything too in depth. Last time i even did a domain was about 20 years ago using Godaddy and just about everything is so different. Im sure its probably much simpler nowadays just need to get familiar with how everything works now.
I found this WXforum and Cumulus forum very helpful when I got my weather station 16 years ago, and members have alweays been very kind.  I went with GoDaddy for domains and hosting. 

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Ahill

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2024, 01:25:27 PM »
I happen to come across this website on describing starting to use a Rpi and cumulusmx software for weather data and it seems to me it is basically describing a meteobridge or what some call a weather bridge that i assume has the software already built in. I also thought this would be the preferred way to stay connected 24/7 vs using your pc 24/7 and why some do it this way

https://www.meteocercal.info/forum/attachment.php?aid=851

Is this correct, they are all basically the same thing just a different way of setting things up where one is basically build your own, the other plug and play, and thirdly the davis and ambient platforms are doing it all for you without the additional equipment and software, just using the console and cloud?

I am still trying to familiarize myself with all the equipment, software and what does what. I think i am still missing something here especially on the what does what and If i am missing or misunderstanding something please let me know.
Thanks
T-
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 01:33:49 PM by Ahill »

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2024, 03:01:08 PM »
Hi,
I happen to come across this website on describing starting to use a Rpi and cumulusmx software for weather data and it seems to me it is basically describing a meteobridge or what some call a weather bridge that i assume has the software already built in. I also thought this would be the preferred way to stay connected 24/7 vs using your pc 24/7 and why some do it this wayhttps://www.meteocercal.info/forum/attachment.php?aid=851Is this correct, they are all basically the same thing just a different way of setting things up where one is basically build your own, the other plug and play, and thirdly the davis and ambient platforms are doing it all for you without the additional equipment and software, just using the console and cloud?I am still trying to familiarize myself with all the equipment, software and what does what. I think i am still missing something here especially on the what does what and If i am missing or misunderstanding something please let me know.
ThanksT-

I am not totally familiar with Meteobridge, WeatherDuino, or the like, but have worked with some CumulusMX users who also have the Meteobridge.  I know Ken's Saratoga templates will work with Meteobridge so that can be a source for website data but likely still need another device like a PC/Rpi to update the necessary files to the webhost but not run 24/7.  I am not aware on what long-term data is saved and how accessible it is for local access and viewing.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Ahill

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2024, 03:17:53 PM »
Hi,
I happen to come across this website on describing starting to use a Rpi and cumulusmx software for weather data and it seems to me it is basically describing a meteobridge or what some call a weather bridge that i assume has the software already built in. I also thought this would be the preferred way to stay connected 24/7 vs using your pc 24/7 and why some do it this wayhttps://www.meteocercal.info/forum/attachment.php?aid=851Is this correct, they are all basically the same thing just a different way of setting things up where one is basically build your own, the other plug and play, and thirdly the davis and ambient platforms are doing it all for you without the additional equipment and software, just using the console and cloud?I am still trying to familiarize myself with all the equipment, software and what does what. I think i am still missing something here especially on the what does what and If i am missing or misunderstanding something please let me know.
ThanksT-

I am not totally familiar with Meteobridge, WeatherDuino, or the like, but have worked with some CumulusMX users who also have the Meteobridge.  I know Ken's Saratoga templates will work with Meteobridge so that can be a source for website data but likely still need another device like a PC/Rpi to update the necessary files to the webhost but not run 24/7.  I am not aware on what long-term data is saved and how accessible it is for local access and viewing.

Enjoy,
Paul

I was not really clear where you get the official cumulusmx software
I see it mentioned in alot of places but where is the official source

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2024, 04:35:38 PM »

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2024, 04:39:00 PM »
Cumulus MX or Meteobridge on RPi can take data from logger and send to many places. Image shows setting page from CumulusMX [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Ahill

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2024, 05:10:50 PM »
Thanks
So a weather bridge is just a separate piece of hardware that runs software similar to a Rpi with cumulus or meteobridge

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2024, 05:57:44 PM »
A "WeatherBridge" is a slightly modified Ambient Weather licensed version of a MeteoBridge that Ambient enables with a subscription in order to upload to Ambient Weather. Hardware used is typically the same universal type IP Ethernet server flashed with Meteobridge, essentially apart from the subscription WeatherBridge = MeteoBridge     

Offline Ahill

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2024, 06:32:37 PM »
A "WeatherBridge" is a slightly modified Ambient Weather licensed version of a MeteoBridge that Ambient enables with a subscription in order to upload to Ambient Weather. Hardware used is typically the same universal type IP Ethernet server flashed with Meteobridge, essentially apart from the subscription WeatherBridge = MeteoBridge     

Thank you for clarifying that. So i have a ambientwwather.net account where my pws data goes and is displayed on my phone or pc and cwop. This is where it is currently confusing to me. What is the difference between the weatherbridge and what is currently being done with my ambient weather..net account. I was told by ambient that the weatherbridge is a hardware device i plug into my router but according to your description its modified software that is similar to meteobridge
I guess the first thing is to separate what is hardware and what is software
Obviously a Rpi is a micro computer(hardware) similar to a pc
Cumulusmx is software that can run on said Rpi or pc
Meteobridge is software that is similar to cumulusmx

I am sorry to put this on anyone but i now i think i am seeing part of the problem. Apparently in the very beginning relied solely on what customer service told me
I obviously am going to have to do everything in steps
Have ambient pws
Getting davis pws
I can keep my ambient account sending to cwop etc for my ambient pws.
Or
Get a Rpi?
Use my pc?
Use software? Which ones recommended? For ambient
Once i have Davis set up
Use weatherlink?
Use Rpi
Use pc
Use software which ones recommended? For Davis

Is this basically my options, and what would you recommend doing if I really didn’t want to start using linux etc and doing commands and coding?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 07:04:47 PM by Ahill »

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2024, 07:10:01 PM »

Hi,
Yes, downloaded the latest version zip  https://www.cumuluswiki.org/a/Software#Latest_build_distribution_download

Someone may correct me, but I don't think that is correct.

@David,
What is the benefit of using a Meteobridge when also using CumulusMX?
CumulusMX uploads to all those third-party sites except Twitter, and also 2 more sites.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2024, 08:09:19 PM »
.... I was told by ambient that the weatherbridge is a hardware device i plug into my router but according to your description its modified software that is similar to meteobridge ....

WeatherBridge is Ambient's name for what is a Meteobridge (which is essentially firmware) flashed to a hardware device which Ambient then license via the MAC in order that a user can upload to Ambient's weather server and ambient provide products back based on a subscription service. More info

https://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Home
 https://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Comparison

The Ambient WeatherBridge is basically the same as the first column version "on router platform"

Offline Ahill

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2024, 08:37:45 PM »
The Ambient WeatherBridge is basically the same as the first column version "on router platform"
[/quote]

Ok so as i said i currently send my data to ambient, ambient cwop, wu,, cwop, etc but do it all through my ambient weather account in which my console sends over the internet. Also i can view my data that ambient stores for one year.
I do not have any additional hardware or software equipment such as weatherbridge.
I was told that if i did not use ambientcwop.net i would need to get a weatherbridge.

If my console already sends the data to third party sites, i can view my data on my phone, pc, then what is the benefit of getting a weatherbridge or software. I do not believe i pay any additional fees to do this all that is required is to have the pws and register for an account. I choose to pay additional for some added features on the account but that’s it.

I think, and this is what i am trying to sort out that with my own equipment and software i can probably store data longer more options, etc.
Also I don’t know if Davis operates the same way. Ex. With the VP2 console and registration it will also send data to third party servers, store and view my data without any additional equipment, software(meteobridge, cumulusmx)

I provided an example of what pws systems i have and will have but trying to figure out how additional hardware and software will benefit over what is normally already being done with each system.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 08:42:45 PM by Ahill »

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2024, 06:53:29 AM »

Hi,

Someone may correct me, but I don't think that is correct.

@David,
What is the benefit of using a Meteobridge when also using CumulusMX?
CumulusMX uploads to all those third-party sites except Twitter, and also 2 more sites.

Enjoy,
Paul

What's not similar about them? I recently put Meteobridge software onto a Micro SD card and booted up an RPi 3. I originally bought a TP Link router pre loaded with Meteobridge software with Ambient license. It is now migrated.

I have been running CMX on an RPi ZeroW for some time.

I don't know there are any glaring advantages of one over the other......they are just a bit different.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 06:55:52 AM by davidmc36 »

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2024, 07:05:10 AM »
... how additional hardware and software will benefit over what is normally already being done with each system.

My Meteobridge processes and makes available a weather camera image.

https://content.meteobridge.com/cam/b9d9b00fb06fdc11168b9e3efec0dc6f/camplus.jpg

With Meteobridge I am able to pull data from 3 separate Data Loggers, each attached to different ISS Stations, and chose which data points are uploaded to web. I  summer the ideal rain bucket location is used. In winter, the second best location  is used with heated cone.

I can have most consoles with backlight on, and leave one off, then chose that data point for indoor temp.

anything