Author Topic: Ceilometers  (Read 481 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Ceilometers
« on: February 17, 2022, 08:45:44 AM »
Every (rarely) so often a ceilometer shows up on the eBay offerings.  Most of those times they are in Turkey or India, and for a delicate instrument it might be a very challenging trip.

On the other hand, if my advancing memory recalls, there were a few here in the US and one of the forum contributors either bought it or knew of a fellow weather enthusiast who did.  The sample output seemed to be an ASCII text string, and was an automatic output telling up to three levels of clouds and what degree of coverage there was.

Again, it seems that comments were that it was certainly a little more fiddling around to get it to work, beyond pouring a flat mounting pad and getting it power.  I can't recall if it was fogging up, clearing of snow or whatever.

There can't be too many of these in the whole hobby/weather passion, but am looking for any comments as to how these work, any interface and so on.  Like electric field meters, these are rarer than hen's teeth, and likely I'll die before one that is in the US and works becomes available, but I'm hoping one does show up some day before I have to move to an assisted living where all my toys will be gone.

Thanks for any comments (even snarky ones!)  Dale
K9ELD
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

anything