Author Topic: Ambient 1001 wifi Temperature Averaging problem!  (Read 728 times)

Offline HassanMohi

Ambient 1001 wifi Temperature Averaging problem!
« on: December 03, 2018, 10:04:29 AM »
Hi!
Using 1001 wifi since Jan 2016. My problem is that the console has 10 mins averaging set in its temperature calculation, which displays way off temperatures then actual, specially when abrupt changes occur during storms. I requested Ed from ambient various times to send me firmware with min averaging time, which he declined.
So as its not possible to convince them, is there any solution to this problem? I literally don't enjoy its temperature's and rather relay on my another hand held measuring device which gives me actual measurements. Also i cannot afford any other station at the moment though I have eyes on Davis Vantage Vue.
Current firmware in use: 2.4.6

Regards!

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Ambient 1001 wifi Temperature Averaging problem!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 12:26:21 PM »
Firmware version 2.4.6 is the latest version. If there were to come out a newer version you can find it in the following link and you don't need to ask Ed for it.
https://www.ambientweather.com/amwewswsdo.html
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 12:59:17 PM »
I've reread your post. Maybe what you are saying is that you asked Ed to come out with a newer firmware to change the behavior of the temperature averaging, and Ed said no. If this is the case then I don't think you have any options other than to not use that display console. You could do things like trying to pull data directly from outdoor sensor array using an SDR. Or you could try using the ObserverIP device instead (but I've noticed temperature averaging on that device too). The best recommendation is to do what you've said which is to get a newer station hardware.

For what it's worth the newer WS-2000 and WS-2902A update rather quickly and there is no noticeable temperature averaging compared to the ObserverIP. I don't have experience with the WS-1001 generation devices though.

To Ed's defense, the WS-1001 is discontinued. The display I think is similar or same as WS-1002 (older generation still). I think the focus lately is the newer generation that use the Osprey outdoor sensor array (WS-2902A and WS-2000). It would be hard to justify any improvement to a discontinued model, especially when it isn't broken, you just don't like how it works. It is also possible that there is a limitation in design because the 10 minute averaging you have noticed could be tied to the rain rate calculation which is based on a 10 minute history. So maybe there is some internal loop based on 10 minutes, where if you mess with temperature you affect or break rain rate. So it could be more complicated to separate the two. Even if not, old discontinued products get no love (more so when they aren't really broken). Want better?... Then upgrade to newer model.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 01:05:55 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Rychu

• Contributor
  • Type of station: HP1001WiFi & WH2600IP (WS1400IP)
    • Check on-line measurements and forecasts of Gdansk in Poland
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 06:06:09 PM »
Using 1001 wifi since Jan 2016. My problem is that the console has 10 mins averaging set in its temperature calculation, which displays way off temperatures then actual, specially when abrupt changes occur during storms. (...)

WS 1001 sends data packets to the console every 16 seconds. You can see the change of parameters measured by an external sensor every 16 seconds. It depends on you how often your console will save this data in your memory. You set it in the Setup / Interval panel. The smallest interval is 1 minute and the largest is 240 minutes.

The interval does not depend on the software version but on your settings in the console.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 06:08:28 PM by Rychu »

anything