Author Topic: IP-100 loosing contact with the station  (Read 3418 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
IP-100 loosing contact with the station
« on: September 22, 2018, 11:00:49 AM »
I bought what appears to be a new Rainwise IP-100 from an eBay auction a few weeks ago. 

I was amazed at how quickly I could get the unit up and running, sending data to the rainwise.net/weather and it just perked away.  I liked the somewhat simplified layout with nice designer graphics both from the unit and from the web location.

Until it lost connection with the wx station.  It is a LR model.  I have five Mark III LR full panel Oracles in different locations, and none of them have dropped reception lock all summer long.  All of them continue to get data every two seconds from the station.

The first time this happened, I assumed it was a poorly selected location (but near UPS power and a place to plug in the RJ-45 to a hub that feeds the cable modem.

When I relocated it to another spot, this time a bit closer to the station, it powered up just fine, and sent data for about 5 or 6 hours.  then the little red radio-reception light stopped blinking.  The yellow internet light next to the RJ-45 plug does come on and show activity for a few seconds then seems to quiet down. 

I had noticed that when that light is on, and apparently sending/receiving from the LAN, that the red receive light will not come on as it does with no LAN activity.  It must be that the program cannot do two things at once, that is receive data from the station, and to talk to the internet.  When it was working, the red light blinks about every two seconds or so, as it should from my understanding. 

Now, this morning, the damned thing is off line again.  the yellow light says it is accessing the LAN, but no activity shown with receiving the signal from the station.

I'm wondering if there is something goofy with this unit, but it does work 'sometimes' not all.  I've moved it to three different positions, and initially it works like gangbusters, but then craps out. No power interruptions at all.  The displays all continue to work just fine.  Two of the locations I have tried are very near these displays, so a possibility is that the little display boxes with the antenna have a more sensitive receiver in them than does the IP-100, but why would it work fine for hours and then go belly up?

Any similar experiences with this?  It is a very cool idea otherwise, and I'd like it to work, obviously.

Thanks for any comments,   Dale
rainwise.net/weather/dale54701
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
Re: IP-100 loosing contact with the station
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 11:22:15 AM »
No help here.  When my IP-100 had problems it was always with the router, fixed when I finally convinced Comcast to replace it.  My suggestion is to contact our friends in Maine.  I don't know the names in support anymore, but see what they have to say.  I do like the IP-100, and since getting a new router, it has given me zero problems for the past couple of years, automatically rebooting after the occasional power outage without a hiccup.  My IP-100 is the "short range" model.  It is near the router, about 20 feet from the station.  I also recently moved my station to a more accessible part of the roof with no change in reliability.  Good luck.

Offline WA7FWF

• Contributor
  • Blitzortung 1196
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 11:35:34 AM »
IP-100 LR use a xbee receiver card inside, you could reseat it inside the ip-100 and see it that helps, there is also a possibility they use the exact same module in the oracles and since you have so many maybe swap the module with one of those and see if the problem moves.

Offline BKS97

• Senior Contributor
    • Sartell East Weather
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 02:06:52 PM »
In case you didn't get an instruction manual with your IP - 100, here is an online link to it: https://www.rainwise.com/products/attachments/6895/20150205012733.pdf

And if you have not done so already, there is a specific procedure to reboot the IP -100 if it quits working properly, which is described in the manual. 

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 05:54:51 PM »
Thanks for all the information, and I'll try to get to mnost of them this wekend.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline spitcool

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 08:10:36 PM »
had a similar issue. emailed tech support, apparently there was a bug with the firmware. they updated it remotely and it works 100% now.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 08:39:28 PM »
I'll call them Monday.  I didn't know they can do a remote upload of new firmware.  That's a lot better than sending it back to Maine for update.

Dale
PS Do you know what the version of firmware you are running on your unit?
Thx
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline spitcool

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 09:04:39 PM »
I'll call them Monday.  I didn't know they can do a remote upload of new firmware.  That's a lot better than sending it back to Maine for update.

Dale
PS Do you know what the version of firmware you are running on your unit?
Thx

i'm on 2079 now, but i was on that version before they updated it. either way, they said they fixed it, and it hasn't gone offline since :)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 09:40:29 PM »
Thanks for the reassurance.  Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

anything