Author Topic: Using the GW1000 with Weewx in Ecowitt mode  (Read 14496 times)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Using the GW1000 with Weewx in Ecowitt mode
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2019, 06:22:53 PM »
Andyk1,
So as to not thread-jack I've started another thread.
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=37768.0
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline GHammer

• Senior Contributor
    • Woodmar Weather
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2019, 10:31:11 AM »
If you'd like to be more in line with the recommended sensor mounting, the Ecowitt WH32 offered on Amazon is actually a WH32E and works perfectly with the 2000 console.
As soon as it is powered up, it replaces the outdoor Temp and Humidity sensors from the WH65B. I did this to get closer to recommended mounting heights for sensors.
When using with the GW1000 it would do the same for the outdoor temp/humidity.
Wireless Vantage Pro2 Plus with 24hr FARS, WLL

Offline GHammer

• Senior Contributor
    • Woodmar Weather
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2019, 12:38:52 PM »
Sure.  In that debug message that the driver puts out is all the raw data from the GW1000.  I just went through that data and made sure that anything weewx could use was mapped to weewx data fields.  For my WH65B sensor array this came down to two fields, rainratein and wh65batt.  In addition, the driver has an array for unused fields which I updated for the ecowitt protocol.  Actually, there will be further changes needed in the future.  The driver will need to track firmware changes from Ecowitt.  Also, the GW1000 knows about lots of hardware that I don't have.  As people want that hardware supported, the driver will need to be enhanced.  The weewx database schema will need to be extended to use this data in weewx as well.

So, if I were to use my WH32E for outdoor temp and humidity and the WH25 for indoor temp and barometer, will they be recognized by the modified interceptor?
If not, what would be needed to get them in?

Offline StephenR0

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2019, 10:22:01 AM »
Ok, here's the basic process.  The first thing to do is to see if the GW1000 recognizes the devices you want to add.  In this case, I'm not sure that the GW1000 recognizes the WH25.  It doesn't really need any of that data because it has built in sensors that overlap.  In addition, I find that the built in sensors are more responsive than the WH25.  The battery life of the WH25 could be better as well.  So the thing to do is to use the WS View app to see what devices the GW1000 recognizes.  Once you determine that there's more data you want the interceptor driver to collect, you can see what the GW1000 actually sends.

Following the steps in the first post, set things up to the point where you can run the interceptor driver directly.  This is the point where you can run this command (from the first post).

PYTHONPATH=bin python bin/user/interceptor.py --device=observer --mode=listen --port=8000 --debug

We're interested in the "raw data" portion of the messages.  It consists of attribute value pairs delimited by "&" characters.  This is what's needed to add the missing attributes to interceptor.py.  There are basically three steps.

First, add the missing attributes to the part of the driver that parses those attributes.  For example, here's the part where I added the eventrainin attribute.  This is in the section of code that covers the observer portion of the interceptor driver.  This puts the value of the eventrainin attribute in the rain_event variable.  You will probably find that most of the attributes are already handled in other parts of the driver.

Code: [Select]
            # firmware GW1000B_V1.4.9 (ecowitt GW1000)
            'rainratein': 'rain_rate',
            'wh65batt': 'battery',
            'eventrainin': 'rain_event',

Second, add the value to the database values returned to weewx.  Here's the section of code that returns the rain_event value.  "rainEvent" is the database value name that I chose to use in weewx.  This value didn't exist in the database and I didn't add that value to the database schema.  I just used that value for current observations.  If your data fits within the weewx database schema, you'll need to use that database value name.  If it's not in the database schema and you want to log the data in the database, you'll need to extend the database schema.  This is described in the weewx documentation, but it's a somewhat advanced topic.

# map database fields to observation names
        DEFAULT_SENSOR_MAP = {
            'pressure': 'pressure',
            'barometer': 'barometer',
            'outHumidity': 'humidity_out',
            'inHumidity': 'humidity_in',
            'outTemp': 'temperature_out',
            'inTemp': 'temperature_in',
            'windSpeed': 'wind_speed',
            'windGust': 'wind_gust',
            'windDir': 'wind_dir',
            'windGustDir': 'wind_gust_dir',
            'radiation': 'radiation',
            'dewpoint': 'dewpoint',
            'windchill': 'windchill',
            'rain': 'rain',
            'rainRate': 'rain_rate',
            'UV': 'uv',
            'txBatteryStatus': 'battery',
            'soilMoist1': 'soilmoisture',
            'pm2_5': 'pm2_5',
            'rainEvent': 'rain_event',
        }

Third, you should add any unused attributes to the IGNORED_LABELS list.  Here's the list as it is currently.  This list keeps spurious messages from appearing in the log.

IGNORED_LABELS = ['relbaro', 'rainin',
                          'weeklyrain', 'monthlyrain',
                          'weeklyrainin', 'monthlyrainin',
                          'realtime', 'rtfreq',
                          'action', 'ID', 'PASSWORD', 'PASSKEY', 'dateutc',
                          'softwaretype',
  'stationtype', 'baromrelin', 'maxdailygust',
  'hourlyrainin', 'freq', 'model']

That's basically it.  Depending on what data you're getting into weewx, you may need to handle it in the weewx code.  So, did this answer your question?

Offline krojan

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2019, 12:51:07 PM »
I'm not sure that the GW1000 recognizes the WH25.  It doesn't really need any of that data because it has built in sensors that overlap.  In addition, I find that the built in sensors are more responsive than the WH25.  The battery life of the WH25 could be better as well.  So the thing to do is to use the WS View app to see what devices the GW1000 recognizes.  Once you determine that there's more data you want the interceptor driver to collect, you can see what the GW1000 actually sends.

I have HP2551, GW1000 and WH25 sensor.
GW1000 unfortunately does not connect to the WH25 sensor
Sorry for my English.
GW1000, HP2551-C, HP3001, HP1001.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2019, 02:01:28 PM »
I'm not sure that the GW1000 recognizes the WH25.  It doesn't really need any of that data because it has built in sensors that overlap.  In addition, I find that the built in sensors are more responsive than the WH25.  The battery life of the WH25 could be better as well.  So the thing to do is to use the WS View app to see what devices the GW1000 recognizes.  Once you determine that there's more data you want the interceptor driver to collect, you can see what the GW1000 actually sends.

I have HP2551, GW1000 and WH25 sensor.
GW1000 unfortunately does not connect to the WH25 sensor

Why is this unfortunate? StphenR0 has properly mentioned that the built in sensors of the GW1000 are superior to the WH25. I can't see why a GW1000 would need to connect to a WH25.
Tele-Pole

Offline krojan

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2019, 02:56:03 PM »
My WH25 sensor has the same sensors as GW1000.
If the GW1000 were receiving data from WH25 then we could place it near the router for better WiFi range and the sensor in another room.

"Unfortunately" in Polish is similar to "unluckily". Excuse me.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 03:08:49 PM by krojan »
Sorry for my English.
GW1000, HP2551-C, HP3001, HP1001.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2019, 03:26:42 PM »
The sensors are the same but they don't seem to report or respond as well. Perhaps there is more to it than just the sensors.

If the GW1000 were receiving data from WH25 then we could place it near the router for better WiFi range and the sensor in another room.

Hmmm okay. Good point. I didn't think of that.

"Unfortunately" in Polish is similar to "unluckily". Excuse me.
Okay, I understand.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 03:28:50 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline GHammer

• Senior Contributor
    • Woodmar Weather
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2019, 04:01:51 PM »
Ok, here's the basic process.

That's basically it.  Depending on what data you're getting into weewx, you may need to handle it in the weewx code.  So, did this answer your question?

Thank you for a very complete process Stephen!
I powered up my GW1000 this afternoon and it, of course, immediately saw the WH65B from the roof. I then powered the WH32E and the GW1000 used it to replace the outdoor temp and humidity as did my WS2000 console. I will calibrate the sensors now then begin setting up the Interceptor for use with WeeWX.

Good to know regarding the WH25, less batteries is less batteries even without better accuracy/reporting. I do have a WH32B for indoor use if it proves to be problematic locating the GW1000 somewhere with UPS power and good temps. OTOH, I won't need the internal temp from the GW1000 (I have a WH25, WH32B, 2902A console) so not a big factor.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 04:13:36 PM by GHammer »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2019, 04:06:20 PM »
Good to know regarding the WH25, less batteries is less batteries even without better accuracy/reporting.

Yeah, but if you have a WS-2000 or HP2551 display console you need to have the WH25 (or equivalent).
Tele-Pole

Offline GHammer

• Senior Contributor
    • Woodmar Weather
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2019, 04:12:51 PM »
Good to know regarding the WH25, less batteries is less batteries even without better accuracy/reporting.

Yeah, but if you have a WS-2000 or HP2551 display console you need to have the WH25 (or equivalent).
Oops, I meant to write WH32B which I didn't use when it couldn't be read with SDR. It was/is recognized and used by the WS-2000 console.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2019, 04:26:06 PM »
WH32B is the newer version of the WH25. They are interchangeable. They look different but functionally are the same. Ambient calls the WH25 a WS-1000-BTH.
Tele-Pole

Offline GHammer

• Senior Contributor
    • Woodmar Weather
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2019, 06:37:45 PM »

Working a treat with only one minor addition, ignoring wh26batt label.
Thank you so much for all your efforts!

Offline StephenR0

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2019, 07:17:09 PM »
Glad you got it working.  One thing, though.  The IGNORED_LABELS list is for attributes that will never be used but appear in the raw output.  You probably noticed that the observer driver handles other attributes that you don't have in your raw output.  That's not a problem.  So, if you don't have wh26batt in your raw output, you don't have to ignore it if the driver handles it if it's there.  Also, if you have a different attribute that sends the battery data, you can use the same variable to get the data into weewx as long as the data means the same thing.  I hope that I understood your comment about ignoring wh26batt.

Offline GHammer

• Senior Contributor
    • Woodmar Weather
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2019, 09:49:26 PM »
Sorry, you did a great job of explaining all that.
I did a poor job of explaining what I did.
I did add the wh26batt to the ignore list as I only care about and WeeWX only uses the 65B battery.

Now I have my outdoor temp and humidity sending at the proper height and all sensors are consolidated by the GW1000 that then feeds WeeWX.

Thanks again for your work.

Offline TSL

« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2019, 06:16:02 AM »
G'day,
I've just replaced my station with a new Ecowitt GW1000 and I'm tring to get the interceptor to work as per this thread.

Runningthe interceptor in debug mode...

/usr/share/weewx# PYTHONPATH=. python user/interceptor.py  --device=observer --mode=listen --port=8000 --address=172.20.1.7 --iface=enp4s0 --debugdoesn't produce any output but I know my GW1000 is sending data to my server.

I run...

tcpdump -Anpl -s0 -w - -i enp4s0 src 172.20.1.16 and dst port 8000 | stdbuf -oL strings -n8
 in another window and I see the following but only provided the interceptor is running!

PASSKEY=DE819514AB956E7E39359381016EF9D3&stationtype=GW1000_V1.5.3&dateutc=2019-11-19+11:09:43&tempinf=76.6&humidityin=43&baromrelin=29.923&baromabsin=29.923&tempf=67.8&humidity=72&winddir=186&windspeedmph=2.24&windgustmph=4.47&maxdailygust=19.46&solarradiation=0.00&uv=0&rainratein=0.000&eventrainin=0.000&hourlyrainin=0.000&dailyrainin=0.000&weeklyrainin=0.000&monthlyrainin=0.000&yearlyrainin=0.000&totalrainin=0.000&pm25_ch1=9.0&pm25_avg_24h_ch1=18.2&wh65batt=0&pm25batt1=5&freq=433M&model=GW1000x
POST  HTTP/1.1
HOST: 172.20.1.7
Connection: Close
Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded
Content-Length: 500

So the interceptor and the GW1000 are having a conversation but nothing is coming out of the interceptor!
Any ideas why ?

thanks

Tim

Offline GHammer

• Senior Contributor
    • Woodmar Weather
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2019, 08:55:48 AM »
Did you replace the WeeWX sourced Interceptor with the one from post #5 of this thread?
That is required. All that is needed is to stop WeeWX and copy the new file into the directory the existing one is in. Then do your testing and mapping of fields.
I did not need to adjust anything, all data was reported and recognized by WeeWX, but I had used the Interceptor method previously.
I did have one device that I do not use and I added it to the ignore list.
Go back and carefully follow the directions and you'll be successful.

Offline StephenR0

« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2019, 09:15:42 AM »
Nothing jumps out at me.  It looks like you're using a packaged install.  I don't see a problem with that.  Is there any chance that there's something in your environment keeping this from working?  Maybe a restrictive firewall?  I'm just guessing.

Offline TSL

« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2019, 06:15:40 PM »
Did you replace the WeeWX sourced Interceptor with the one from post #5 of this thread?
That is required. All that is needed is to stop WeeWX and copy the new file into the directory the existing one is in. Then do your testing and mapping of fields.
I did not need to adjust anything, all data was reported and recognized by WeeWX, but I had used the Interceptor method previously.
I did have one device that I do not use and I added it to the ignore list.
Go back and carefully follow the directions and you'll be successful.
Hi Gary,
Yes, I'm using the script from post #5.
I'm going to try switching the GW to WU mode to see if the interceptor sees it.

cheers
Tim

Offline TSL

« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2019, 06:19:46 PM »
Nothing jumps out at me.  It looks like you're using a packaged install.  I don't see a problem with that.  Is there any chance that there's something in your environment keeping this from working?  Maybe a restrictive firewall?  I'm just guessing.
No firewall at the moment so its a  bit of a mystery.
The weewx installation has been working for years with an Ambient Air Ws1001 until power surges last week took it out plus a number of other items around the house.

as per my other post I'll switch the unit from Ecowiit protocol to WU and see if I can see that.

Offline StephenR0

« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2019, 07:21:58 PM »
One thing did occur to me.  Is there any chance that there's something else on port 8000?  That seems kind of unlikely, but I did think of it.  You could change the port on both ends to something else to test that.  Just a thought.  I should mention that I always use a setup.py style of install.  This puts everything in /home/weewx which gets everything in one directory structure.  I find that helps me sort things out better.  Of course, you have to make sure you're root when you run it as well.

Offline TSL

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2019, 07:25:50 PM »
One thing did occur to me.  Is there any chance that there's something else on port 8000?  That seems kind of unlikely, but I did think of it.

Yeah, i had thought of that. I checked to see what ports were available before I ran anything since I do have other services running on that host and I was unsure of what ports I could use.

Offline Vetti52

« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2020, 08:48:21 AM »
Hi!

Looking at Matthew Wall's interceptor changelog https://github.com/matthewwall/weewx-interceptor/blob/master/changelog, it looks like Ecowitt GW1000 now, as of Jan.03.2020, is integrated into interceptor's ecowitt-client by help of GHammer. When importing data from my WS1900 with ecowitt-client directly, that is, without GW1000, there should actually be no difference. However, I am still missing some of the data, such as rain event.
Jan  8 17:49:32 raspbee interceptor.py: interceptor: ServerThread: POST: PASSKEY=XXXX&stationtype=EasyWeatherV1.4.5&dateutc=2020-01-08+16:49:30&tempinf=61.9&humidityin=55&baromrelin=30.121&baromabsin=29.327&tempf=46.0&humidity=96&winddir=270&windspeedmph=1.8&windgustmph=2.2&maxdailygust=14.8&rainratein=0.000&eventrainin=0.008&hourlyrainin=0.000&dailyrainin=0.031&weeklyrainin=0.059&monthlyrainin=0.571&totalrainin=1.260&solarradiation=0.00&uv=0&wh65batt=0&freq=868M&model=WS2900_V2.01.08
Jan  8 17:49:32 raspbee interceptor.py: interceptor: MainThread: using rain_total 0.031 from dailyrainin
Jan  8 17:49:32 raspbee interceptor.py: interceptor: MainThread: unrecognized parameter eventrainin=0.008
Jan  8 17:49:32 raspbee interceptor.py: interceptor: MainThread: unrecognized parameter wh65batt=0
Jan  8 17:49:32 raspbee interceptor.py: interceptor: MainThread: unrecognized parameter baromrelin=30.121
Jan  8 17:49:32 raspbee interceptor.py: interceptor: MainThread: unrecognized parameter maxdailygust=14.8
Jan  8 17:49:32 raspbee interceptor.py: interceptor: MainThread: ignored parameter monthlyrainin=0.571
Jan  8 17:49:32 raspbee interceptor.py: interceptor: MainThread: ignored parameter PASSKEY=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Jan  8 17:49:32 raspbee interceptor.py: interceptor: MainThread: unrecognized parameter totalrainin=1.260
Jan  8 17:49:32 raspbee interceptor.py: interceptor: MainThread: unrecognized parameter rainratein=0.000
Jan  8 17:49:32 raspbee interceptor.py: interceptor: MainThread: unrecognized parameter hourlyrainin=0.000
Jan  8 17:49:32 raspbee interceptor.py: interceptor: MainThread: unrecognized parameter freq=868M
Jan  8 17:49:32 raspbee interceptor.py: interceptor: MainThread: unrecognized parameter model=WS2900_V2.01.08
Jan  8 17:49:32 raspbee interceptor.py: interceptor: MainThread: unrecognized parameter stationtype=EasyWeatherV1.4.5
Jan  8 17:49:32 raspbee interceptor.py: interceptor: MainThread: ignored parameter weeklyrainin=0.059
So, I am not sure, if the replacement of StephenRo's interceptor.py would fix it. As it forks out at an earlier version, I could not figure out, where the differences are. My python knowledge is far too basic to find out by trial and error. So please could you enlighten me?

Offline StephenR0

« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2020, 10:46:20 AM »
Vetti52, I see that you're getting more data than my modified interceptor driver can handle.  That shouldn't be a problem.  I haven't converted my weewx installation to the new driver yet, so the following discussion isn't tested.  But the process should be similar to the description in this post.

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=37471.msg392762#msg392762

First, I assume that you're following the instructions that Matt wrote here.

https://github.com/weewx/weewx/wiki/gw1000-recipe

So, the process is first to get all the data that your gw1000 puts out by running the interceptor driver directly.  Matt describes this in the link above.  Then map gw1000 labels to intermediate variables that will be mapped to weewx database fields.  To do this, you want to change this section.

# map labels to observation names
        LABEL_MAP = {
            'baromabsin': 'pressure',
            'humidity': 'humidity_out',
            'humidityin': 'humidity_in',
            'tempf': 'temperature_out',
            'tempinf': 'temperature_in',
            'windspeedmph': 'wind_speed',
            'windgustmph': 'wind_gust',
            'winddir': 'wind_dir',
            'solarradiation': 'solar_radiation',
            'uv': 'uv',
            'totalrainin': 'rain_total',
            'rainratein': 'rain_rate',
            'wh25batt': 'battery_wh25_1',
            'wh26batt': 'battery_wh26_1',
            'wh65batt': 'battery_wind',
        }

You need to make sure that any gw1000 labels that you want to get into weewx are included in this section.  Then you need to change this section to map those intermediate variables to weewx database fields.

# map database fields to observation names
        DEFAULT_SENSOR_MAP = {
            'pressure': 'pressure',
            'barometer': 'barometer',
            'outHumidity': 'humidity_out',
            'inHumidity': 'humidity_in',
            'outTemp': 'temperature_out',
            'inTemp': 'temperature_in',
            'windSpeed': 'wind_speed',
            'windGust': 'wind_gust',
            'windDir': 'wind_dir',
            'windGustDir': 'wind_gust_dir',
            'radiation': 'radiation',
            'dewpoint': 'dewpoint',
            'windchill': 'windchill',
            'rain_total': 'rain_total',
            'rainRate': 'rain_rate',
            'UV': 'uv',
            'txBatteryStatus': 'battery'
        }

In your case, one obvious problem is that "wh65batt" is mapped to "battery_wind", but "txBatteryStatus" is mapped to "battery" in the weewx database.  I would change "battery_wind" to "battery" in the LABEL_MAP to get that mapped correctly.  In a similar fashion, just add or modify entries to get everything mapped the way that you want.  When you're done, you will probably have some left over gw1000 labels that you're not going to be able to use in weewx.  You'll want to put them in this section.

IGNORED_LABELS = [
            'PASSKEY', 'dateutc', 'stationtype', 'model', 'freq', 'baromrelin',
            'eventrainin', 'maxdailygust', 'hourlyrainin',
            'dailyrainin', 'weeklyrainin', 'monthlyrainin', 'yearlyrinin',
        ]

You probably want to correct the "yearlyrinin" to "yearlyrainin" in this section.  I'm sure Matt will fix it at some point, but it's pretty obvious.  This will get rid of all the unrecognized parameter messages in the log.

That's pretty much it.  That's not too bad, is it?  :-)  Since Matt created a new section of code in the interceptor driver for the gw1000, things are actually simpler to understand.  As an alternative, you could post the output of running the driver directly to the weewx-user group and Matt will modify the driver for you.  He describes that in the above link.  Good luck!

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2020, 11:13:47 AM »
Since Matt created a new section of code in the interceptor driver for the gw1000, things are actually simpler to understand.

The Interceptor modification was not intended only for the GW1000. If you read the change log this naming has been changed from GW1000 to EcowittClient. This is because it uses the "Customized" Ecowitt protocol upload capability of the console. Which means it is not limited to just the GW1000. This is a push method. Many Fine Offset console models support this "Customized" Ecowitt upload protocol.

The GW1000 has another way of providing data which is using its built in API. This API is exclusive to the GW1000. No other Fine Offset console supports this API (pull mehtod). Support for WeeWx using this API method will come. I've been in touch with Mathew Wall to support him with the API.

I just want to eliminate confusion because other software like Cumulus MX, Meteobridge, and Weather-Display currently support the GW1000 via the API method. Therefore when referring to WeeWx with the Interceptor driver and using the "Customized" EcowittClient method it should not be stated that it is the GW1000 method as that would cause confusion. Because people might think it is the same thing as the API method which is exclusive to the GW1000...and that support is not yet available. That will come in the form of a totally new and separate driver, not built into Interceptor.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 11:17:30 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole