Author Topic: Ambient weather the company  (Read 1530 times)

Offline Rover1822

• Forecaster
    • Mini Wind and Solar Data project
Re: Ambient weather the company
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2020, 04:49:17 PM »
What we have learned...

A - The unit was used
B - The unit was 433
C - Amazon may ship out a previous customer return to a new customer (that could have been swapped by previous buyer)
D- The OP identified it as new, and perhaps their ability to asses new vs. used is not within their capability, but they should not be held responsible for not being keen to notice

Conclusions - The unit didn't come from the Ambient logistics supply chain because it was used. The unit had to have either come from a previous Amazon return or the customer is not being forthright. We will never know the answer given the evidence.

Lessons - Buy direct from Ambient and not from Amazon for better quality control. Ambient should see if there is anything that can be done about eliminating that returns can end up shipped back out to new customers.

My 2 cents - Always buy with a good credit card. My Amex has my back every time.

I'm not ready to jump to your statements as fact.  Do I think they are probable , yes I do. I the end we may never know. I agree with Ed, that this should have been handled better, even if it isn't their fault. At the end of the day it is the brand name taking a hit. Now Ambient may want to research what AMZ did, or not, have to figure in the cost in hours of just working that out.
Ambient:
  WS-2000
  PM 2.5(2)
  WH31B(2)
  WH40E
  WH31P
EcoWitt:
  GW1100
  GW1000(4)
  WH31(2)
  WH57
  WH51(12),
  WH40
  WH5360B
  WN34S
  WittBoy WS90 + GW2000
  WS90 (other one) + GW1100
Personal Sites: Weather Cam

Offline ambientweather

• Contributor
    • Ambient Weather
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2020, 05:16:31 PM »
Unfortunately, Amazon is a black hole. Information is not very forthcoming. In these cases, we simply write off the loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KC5JIM

• Senior Contributor
    • KC5JIM Weather
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2020, 05:20:18 PM »
It's not a popular opinion around here, but the TRUTH is that Ambient Weather is run by a bunch of narcissistic con artists. Send them a cease and desist order via certified mail, throw their system in the trash, and buy a system from Ecowitt.

Can you explain why you feel we are a bunch of con artists? We always want to do better, and would like to understand your comments. I believe we are always truthful with our customers. I will get to the bottom of this incident, but there must be something really deep down that is personal and emotional and I want to understand it.

Regards,

Ed Edelman
Founder
Ambient Weather

I believe we are always truthful with our customers - Your company basically called the OP a thieving liar! There is NOTHING "truthful" about that! Your "words" now cannot change that REALITY.

My order experience a few years ago was THE WORST experience I have ever had with ANY company in my nearly six decades of life. I specifically stated that I wanted a station that would allow me to send MY data where I wanted to. I was told that the WS-2902 would do that. I buy it, obviously it does NOT do what I was told it would do. Stupidly, I trusted Ambient Weather's recommendation AGAIN and bought an ObserverIP. Well, we ALL know that ALSO does not do what I was told it would do.

Not wanting to give up, I joined the Ambient Weather Network API group on Facebook. The very first time I asked for assistance I was told "We made an API, learn how to program if you want to use your data on your own website." When I asked why the response was so dismissive, I was told "If you need help with JSON you should not even be in this group asking questions." THAT was when I returned everything to Ambient.

YOU are obviously a stand-up guy based upon everything that I have read here and elsewhere, but Ambient Weather  have (or at least had) some real pieces of shit on the payroll in customer facing positions.
Ecowitt Wittboy| FOSHKplugin on Pi 4

Offline ambientweather

• Contributor
    • Ambient Weather
Ambient weather the company
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2020, 05:43:31 PM »
It's not a popular opinion around here, but the TRUTH is that Ambient Weather is run by a bunch of narcissistic con artists. Send them a cease and desist order via certified mail, throw their system in the trash, and buy a system from Ecowitt.

Can you explain why you feel we are a bunch of con artists? We always want to do better, and would like to understand your comments. I believe we are always truthful with our customers. I will get to the bottom of this incident, but there must be something really deep down that is personal and emotional and I want to understand it.

Regards,

Ed Edelman
Founder
Ambient Weather

I believe we are always truthful with our customers - Your company basically called the OP a thieving liar! There is NOTHING "truthful" about that! Your "words" now cannot change that REALITY.

My order experience a few years ago was THE WORST experience I have ever had with ANY company in my nearly six decades of life. I specifically stated that I wanted a station that would allow me to send MY data where I wanted to. I was told that the WS-2902 would do that. I buy it, obviously it does NOT do what I was told it would do. Stupidly, I trusted Ambient Weather's recommendation AGAIN and bought an ObserverIP. Well, we ALL know that ALSO does not do what I was told it would do.

Not wanting to give up, I joined the Ambient Weather Network API group on Facebook. The very first time I asked for assistance I was told "We made an API, learn how to program if you want to use your data on your own website." When I asked why the response was so dismissive, I was told "If you need help with JSON you should not even be in this group asking questions." THAT was when I returned everything to Ambient.

YOU are obviously a stand-up guy based upon everything that I have read here and elsewhere, but Ambient Weather  have (or at least had) some real pieces of shit on the payroll in customer facing positions.

I am very sorry you feel this way and apologize. Allow me respond:

1. WS-2902. We are very careful to mention in our descriptions that the WS-2902 supports AmbientWeather.net,  Wunderground.com and PWSWeather.com. However, we do have an online API that allows programmers to do what you want with the data, and send it anywhere. Perhaps that is what the customer support agent Anthony thought you meant. If someone mentioned that the console can send the data anywhere you want, that is clearly an overstatement, and I apologize if that was the message.

Feel free to email me eedelman@ambientweather.com and I can check your email chain. I do want to get to the bottom of this issue.  I did find one email from you for an order placed an order in 2009, but nothing else. What is odd is I can' t find an order for the WS-2902 or ObserverIP from you, only the weather station from 2009. I also cannot find a return authorization number in your name,which is very unusual for items that were returned.   If you still have the order numbers, that would be super helpful and I can read the return notes for reference.

2. ObserverIP. The ObserverIP does allow you to scrape data locally from the live data panel, so this is perhaps why it was recommended. It does not have full API capability, but we are currently working on a local solution that is more elegant. Stay tuned!

3. API. No one at Ambient Weather would state "We made an API, learn how to program if you want to use your data on your own website."
I am the only Ambient Weather representative that posts in this group, and I would never state something so dismissive, so my assumption was it came from another Facebook Group member.  I can't control what every member says, although I do moderate the group if someone is offended.

I searched the API group for this conversation:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/141691753167314/582267475776404

So if you provide the link to the conversation for me, I will gladly mediate and let the customer know this type of response is out of bounds and please respect other members in the group.

I see you've been a member of the API group for about a year. You mentioned:

I found your account on the board and it states:  J**** M**** hasn't posted anything yet in Ambient Weather Network API. So I can't find that you posted in the API group, so this is puzzling. Could it have been somewhere else?

I'm doing my best to be respectful and listen. It appears you were deeply offended by our customer support agent, and I am here to help.

Regards,

Ed
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 07:27:55 PM by ambientweather »

Offline GHammer

• Senior Contributor
    • Woodmar Weather
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2020, 11:00:16 PM »
Amazon has shipped me 'brand new' items that were clearly returns.
You have to be really careful to get only sold and shipped by Amazon or the manufacturer.

Amazon has become a low-end EBay with all the 3rd party sellers and fake reviews.
Wireless Vantage Pro2 Plus with 24hr FARS, WLL

Offline truckdrivingnut

« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2020, 10:52:17 PM »
Sorry I was out of town camping for a week and could not reply.  Ambient has finally fixed the situation with Amazon and has turned back on my cloud access.  For that I am grateful.

However the issue with the unit being used doesn't quite sit right with me.  I never saw any rust on the unit.  Attached are more pictures I took before returning the unit.   I believe what they thought was rust was either the sun filtering through brown blinds in the room, or in the case of the battery compartment actually pieces of copper.  I also didn't see any scuff marks.  There were perhaps fingerprints from myself and small dust particles.  Honestly it looked the same as the replacement they sent me but with the proper frequency. 

It is totally possible that Amazon sent me a semi used product, but then Ambient should be aware that this can happen (it sounds like they do), and have a method to deal with it. 

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline LazyDogFarms

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2020, 06:56:09 AM »
Sorry I was out of town camping for a week and could not reply.  Ambient has finally fixed the situation with Amazon and has turned back on my cloud access.  For that I am grateful.

However the issue with the unit being used doesn't quite sit right with me.  I never saw any rust on the unit.  Attached are more pictures I took before returning the unit.   I believe what they thought was rust was either the sun filtering through brown blinds in the room, or in the case of the battery compartment actually pieces of copper.  I also didn't see any scuff marks.  There were perhaps fingerprints from myself and small dust particles.  Honestly it looked the same as the replacement they sent me but with the proper frequency. 

It is totally possible that Amazon sent me a semi used product, but then Ambient should be aware that this can happen (it sounds like they do), and have a method to deal with it. 

Glad you and Ambient were able to work things out and hope that you get years of good service out of your new Ambient weather station! 

anything