Author Topic: Wind vane screw head has got rounded  (Read 489 times)

Offline PacoJavi

Wind vane screw head has got rounded
« on: September 02, 2019, 04:36:44 AM »
Hello,

I was disassembling my Vantage Vue yesterday when the head of the screw in the wind vane got rounded accidentally trying to remove it.

I am shipping the unit, so it would be a good thing to get the vane off the rest of it.

Any ideas on how to do it? I can't really fit anything in such a small hole (rubber or similar).

Thanks

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Wind vane screw head has got rounded
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 04:27:27 PM »
Maybe get a new Allen key (the end of the old one might be a little rounded) and try using it at a slight angle. Sometimes it's possible to get just enough purchase on the grub screw like this to loosen it off.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 05:36:12 PM »
If johnd's idea doesn't work and you're determined to get it off, you can try backing it out with a drill bit. If you screw up the threads, a replacement vane is only $11.75 through SI. Or, drill it out completely and install a slightly bigger screw. It should hold fine I would think, very little resistance involved. 

Offline CSB

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 06:43:25 PM »
If he's going to try backing it out with a drill bit he'll have to get a left handed bit and reverse the drill direction.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 06:51:28 PM »
If he's going to try backing it out with a drill bit he'll have to get a left handed bit and reverse the drill direction.
#-o Of course. I was thinking of an "easy out", but am doubtful one is made small enough. Still could obviously drill it out completely.

Offline PacoJavi

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 04:14:28 AM »
I tried yesterday the 2 easy solutions (rubber and putting in the allen key with some angle) and neither of them worked. I was trying to take the vane off so that I didn't have any issues at the control in the airport (because of the pointy end), but I've decided to wrap the whole unit with a ton of bubble wrap and put it in the suitcase. Worst case scenario is that the vane breaks on the way, which is not the end of the world.

Thanks for your comments guys.