Author Topic: External power for Davis #6372?  (Read 4969 times)

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
External power for Davis #6372?
« on: May 26, 2012, 10:11:12 AM »
Is there a way to externally power a stand-alone Davis #6372 unit?

I know that the #6372 is normally battery-powered (CR-123A 3VDC Lithium cell), but I have an application where 110VAC is available and I would like to make use of it, if I can.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 11:59:32 AM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
Re: External power for Davis #6372?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 10:17:40 AM »
Yup...get the Davis AC power adapter(5v) and if you are close to power, there you go. I have a 6382 running on one as it is mounted on the front of the house. My other 6382 is solar powered by way of the ISS solar cover that was replaced with the cover for the DFARS. A little 'home-made' invention and it DOES work very well.
3 Davis set-ups...which one ya wanna talk about? And I got ALL my manuals....

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 11:23:45 AM »
When I told Davis Tech Support that I had done this, the guy took a DEEP breath and said 'yes you can, we just don't advertise it'. The AC plug in is there on the top of the board, to the right side of the battery. I do keep the battery in it in case of the 'street' power going out, and that 'house' line is wired into the generator!!!

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 12:06:56 PM »
When I told Davis Tech Support that I had done this, the guy took a DEEP breath and said 'yes you can, we just don't advertise it'.

They do that with me a lot, too. ;)

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 12:38:25 PM »

I assume this "non-specified" application possibly requires a special "plug" to connect the power adaptor to the jack that's on the printed-circuit-board, or is it a standard coax-power plug & jack?

Did you use the Davis power adaptor that's used with the Console?

The console adapter is the right specification and has the right plug.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 12:45:20 PM »
SLOweather are you aware that your "tag line" is showing a little box with a red X in it? (or, is it MY browser?)

I'll check that. I guess my banner script is broken...

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 06:12:01 PM »
not sure about the more recent humidity sensors, but the older ones are affected by the voltage you put into the ISS
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 11:48:42 PM »
Temp sensors are platinum wire RTD - they measure resistance only for no voltage issues there.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 12:37:29 AM »
When I told Davis Tech Support that I had done this, the guy took a DEEP breath and said 'yes you can, we just don't advertise it'. The AC plug in is there on the top of the board, to the right side of the battery. I do keep the battery in it in case of the 'street' power going out, and that 'house' line is wired into the generator!!!

I've had two 6382's running off of AC since 2008 via VP2 wallwarts. Beats the heck out of having to change the battery every 5 months.

BTW: another (pricey) option is the 6610 Solar power kit.

Edit to added the solar power option.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 12:59:18 AM by C5250 »
Precious little in your life is yours by right and won without a fight.

Offline duke666

• Senior Contributor
    • Nightingale Weather
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 12:55:21 AM »
not sure about the more recent humidity sensors, but the older ones are affected by the voltage you put into the ISS

Just curious, why would the voltage affect the sensors, as long as the voltage is within Davis spec?

Duke

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 01:02:30 AM »
Temp sensors are platinum wire RTD - they measure resistance only for no voltage issues there.

Interesting statement, the firmware measures the voltage at the same time that it does a temp measurement and uses that voltage measurement to correct the temp measurement.

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 03:15:05 AM »
in my experience with powering an ISS, the temperarure was not affected, but the humidity reading was (i.e had to apply an offset afterwards (i.e it reads lower with more voltage (I think I have that right!)
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
  • weather is never boring
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2012, 09:23:39 AM »
The specs on the sht series of sensors which Davis uses show an input voltage of 2.4 to 5.5 volts and the temp sensor is not a platinum wire rtd it is a band gap sensor and the supply voltage will not change the readings. Here is the specs for the sensor if you are interested. http://www.sensirion.com/en/pdf/product_information/Datasheet-humidity-sensor-SHT1x.pdf

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2012, 12:28:22 PM »
Davis told me that the temp sensor was RTD.  Guess they do not know their own products.  :(
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2012, 12:39:49 PM »

I know that the #6372 is normally battery-powered (CR-123A 3VDC Lithium cell), but I have an application where 110VAC is available and I would like to make use of it, if I can.

Hmmm... I originally thought this WAS possible, but now I am not so sure.  I opened my 6372 and there is NO plug for the adapter!  There is only an RJ-11 next to the battery slot. What the??

<EDIT>  DOH!  The jack is sideways.  :)  I need more coffee obviously.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 01:39:43 PM by Bushman »

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2012, 12:52:01 PM »

Interesting statement, the firmware measures the voltage at the same time that it does a temp measurement and uses that voltage measurement to correct the temp measurement.

All a p-wire RTD circuit does is compare the input voltage to the output voltage.  Sure, at higher voltages there is some  self-heating, but not at 3-5v.  I am not sure how many wires the circuit Davis uses which can affect accuracy.

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2012, 01:15:29 PM »
I was off a little bit, it is RIGHT above the battery.... at least on everything I've got.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2012, 01:23:11 PM »

Hmmm... I originally thought this WAS possible, but now I am not so sure.  I opened my 6372 and there is NO plug for the adapter!  There is only an RJ-11 next to the battery slot. What the??

Perhaps there have been different production runs?

And the specification sheet http://www.davisnet.com/product_documents/weather/spec_sheets/6372_Spec_Rev_C.pdf

...says the sensor is a thermistor.  Likewise, the specification sheet for the 6382 says the temperature sensor is a thermistor.

The Instruction Manual (for the 6382)  http://www.davisnet.com/product_documents/weather/manuals/07395-239_IM_06372.pdf

...Page 3  shows the external power jack just above the battery.  
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 01:26:05 PM by dalecoy »

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2012, 03:58:05 PM »
Davis told me that the temp sensor was RTD.  Guess they do not know their own products.  :(

Maybe the outdoor one was (pre SHT11), the Console and Envoy used this sensor though.

Offline shimon

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2019, 10:20:47 AM »
I'm about to order a 6372 but only if I could run it on AC power.  I found this (older) thread but am confused as to which AC adapter to purchase and where exactly to plug it in.  The Davis Console AC Adapter I found #6625 is only one I found.  It has a small barrel connector. 

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

But looking at the photos inside of a 6372 I don't see a place for this to plug in.  I see a connector for solar power or the RJ-11 connector. 

What is the correct part number for the AC Adapter and where does it plug in?  Thanks.

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2019, 11:18:48 AM »
The Davis Console AC Adapter I found #6625 is only one I found.  It has a small barrel connector. 

That's the one!

But looking at the photos inside of a 6372 I don't see a place for this to plug in.

Jack at the top of the board above the battery holder.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline shimon

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2019, 11:23:26 AM »
Is it J11 circled in the image?  I assume the hole for the barrel connector is on the side then and the plug is inserted from the right.

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2019, 12:47:30 PM »
I have an ATK SIM (~same board as yours, but EU version) powered from 2x D-type alkaline long life batteries in series. I hooked them to the battery terminals. Solar, UV and wind sensors are attached. I think you're not exactly after this setup, but definitely a working "external" powering solution. It has been working for more than a year without a hitch. I think it can last 2-3 years but I replaced the first set of batteries after about year after some reception problems, but it turned out it wasn't caused by the batteries. They barely lost charge. So, it's a way to keep in mind if one wants a non-tethered, external, long term powering solution.

anything