Author Topic: Weatherlink PC Error - I won't open a connection to...  (Read 1589 times)

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Weatherlink PC Error - I won't open a connection to...
« on: May 26, 2019, 10:06:21 AM »
Another issue from my recent ISP service change.
I am getting the attached errors in Weatherlink PC 6.0.2

This started when I changed my modem/router which uses 10.0.0.xx for local IP instead of the previous router 192.168.0.xx
99.243.58.77 is my external IP and that is valid.

Weatherlink PC 6.0.2 is working fine but no uploads due to this error.

I've looked in Weatherlink PC settings but cannot see where it has any settings 10.0.0.xx or 99.243.58.77
 The Weatherlink PC internet settings for FTP and webserver has not changed.

Any suggestions where to start?

Enjoy,
Paul
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 10:23:52 AM by PaulMy »

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Weatherlink PC Error - I won't open a connection to...
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 10:13:58 AM »
What error message is displayed.  You show the connection string info.  Can you PING your FTP server?  My guess with limited info is port blocking on your router.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 10:24:22 AM »
 :oops: #-o :oops:

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 10:33:37 AM »
Can you PING your FTP server?  Does a standalone FTP (Cute, or MS etc.) connect to the FTP server?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 11:11:26 AM »
Think my first move would be to update from v6.0.2. I would say to 6.0.3 but v6.0.5 is the current version so would head there.

This may well make no difference but there was a significant bug in 6.0.2 which is why it only lasted a short while, just can't remember what it was!
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 01:29:26 PM »
Ok upgrade first...
I have been running v.6.0.2 in C:\added_programs\Weatherlink_6_0_2 and that is where all my data folders, internet settings and template files, etc are.

In hindsight not a good idea.

I have the new 6.0.5 update exe in that same Weatherlink_6_0_2 folder but can move it where ever.  I see that the update install allows to select a new folder i.e. \Weatherlink

What is the best way/place to upgrade?  \Weatherlink would be my preferred if that does not impact my existing data files.  If it is different than now I presume I would have to redo the internet settings for webpages uploads.  Anything else?

Thanks,
Paul 

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 01:49:56 PM »
Well, C:\Weatherlink is always the recommended option. Rather old-fashioned but nonetheless what Davis suggest.

But if you're not going to simply update the existing installation then you're going to need to download the full install and not just the update. And a new install would mean starting everything from scratch, new station, new upload parameters etc etc, which is obviously more of a chore than simply running an update in situ, which is the other alternative.

If you prefer not to do a simple update then maybe it might be more sensible to try any other troubleshooting suggestions first. Personally I'd make sure all the data files are backed up and then do the simple update. But there's always a tiny risk with this sort of thing and it sounds like you might prefer the new install route.

Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 04:35:15 PM »
I did just update old 6.0.2 to 6.0.5 and that was a breeze.  Glad I did this!

However still the same issue - new capture attached.

While WL 6.0.5 seems to be working fine it still gives the error and the template files are not being updated http://www.komokaweather.com/weatherlink/Current_Vantage_Pro_Plus.htm

No updated files on webserver except thre is a file in www.komokaweather.com/weatherlink/cache/001D0AE03A5D.xml thst dated today even though Weatherlink PC log shows the error.

Unless some other suggestions, I'll call Davis tomorrow.

And Bushman thanks, but
Can you PING your FTP server?  Does a standalone FTP (Cute, or MS etc.) connect to the FTP server?
Unfortunately that is over my head unless someone gives me some specific pointers how to :oops:

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 06:49:41 PM »
Do you know the URL or IP address of your FTP server? If so then in a command window type and execute something like

ping your url-name or ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

You will get several replies back confirming you have a link (packets received, time taken etc) or don't have a link :Destination host unreachable

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 07:35:03 PM »
For example...  C:\Windows\system32>ping komokaweather.com

Pinging komokaweather.com [23.229.161.0] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 23.229.161.0: bytes=32 time=87ms TTL=56
Reply from 23.229.161.0: bytes=32 time=85ms TTL=56
Reply from 23.229.161.0: bytes=32 time=86ms TTL=56
Reply from 23.229.161.0: bytes=32 time=88ms TTL=56

Ping statistics for 23.229.161.0:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 85ms, Maximum = 88ms, Average = 86ms

And ythe XML file on your server?  Looks like Weatherlink since it has an ID and DID

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2019, 08:24:09 AM »
I'll call Davis tomorrow.

Today is Memorial Day in the US. I doubt that anyone will answer. (but I could be wrong)

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2019, 05:22:15 AM »
Making any progress with this? Unfortunately sounds like one of those issues that could have multiple causes and maybe nothing to do with your local configuration. Is it possible that it's nothing to do with a new router but some other coincidental change at eg the hosting service?

Do you have local saving of the upload files turned on? If so are they being created OK? If so then the issue is solely one of uploading.

The most useful way I've found of troubleshooting this sort of issue is to run a local FTP utility like Filezilla and try uploading the file(s) 'manually'. This can often reveal the source of the problem, eg the hosting service may have switched from simple FTP to requiring SFTP or some such.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2019, 09:25:44 AM »
Thanks Johnd and others.  I had not called Davis yet due to Monday holiday, and also quite busy in our home move but will check what you mentioned later today.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2019, 06:19:20 PM »
Troubles, troubles...So today I couldn't even run the updated 6.0.5 WL PC program due to some dll files missing...  bummer!

Called Davis and support was good but the only way they could suggest to get it going was to install the full version 6.0.5.  Reluctantly I did, and that went ok, copied in my data folder and templates and back to running... but still the same error.

Called Davis again, and a different support person (Bruce who was most helpful and knowledgeable).  He used TV and said he had never seen that error before.  He went thorough some station settings and then in the internet settings and after a bit of looking ticked Use passive mode... and next 5-min update the error disappeared, all set again.  Good support experience again.

Enjoy,
Paul
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 06:21:32 PM by PaulMy »

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2019, 07:42:32 PM »
Passive Mode FTP to the win!  :)