Author Topic: WS-2000 UV index  (Read 764 times)

Offline DavidL61

WS-2000 UV index
« on: March 09, 2019, 11:14:50 AM »
Just bought and installed a Ambient WS-2000. Everything is working great.

Just wondering if a UV index reading of 5-6 is normal when it’s only
supposed be 2 in our area during the winter months.

Thanks
Dave

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: WS-2000 UV index
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 02:16:58 PM »
I've noticed that if it rains at night some water sometimes remains on the UV / Solar sensor. This small bubble of water then acts as a lens and magnifies the light coming in and imparts a bit of a slight erroneous increase. This only lasts for less than an hour as the sun comes up, then the water evaporates and the problem goes away. No issue with rain in the middle of the day. Only seems to happen sometimes when it both rains and is very humid and water doesn't evaporate at night. It happened last Summer and I'm sure the issue will return later this Spring with the rains and heavy humidity but I've not seen it be an issue since around October. Other than that, I'd say the UV / Solar sensor seem very accurate.

Some older WS-2000 firmware versions were causing low UV readings. The newest firmware have corrected this. But you are reporting the opposite...so perhaps firmware is not your issue....still be sure to upgrade to the latest version.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline DavidL61

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 05:48:18 PM »
I’ve updated to the latest firmware and it’s still reading high. I’ve also reset the sensor array and console.

Offline SWX

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 01:03:56 AM »
Just bought and installed a Ambient WS-2000. Everything is working great.

Just wondering if a UV index reading of 5-6 is normal when it’s only
supposed be 2 in our area during the winter months.

Thanks
Dave

The sun’s intensity right now is the same as it’d be in late September to early October. My UV index typically tops out at 7 lately, back in December it was 4. The UV index is more than likely accurate, or at least very close to accurate.

I actually find the Solar Insolation readings to be a little on the low side on the WS-2000/2902.

Here’s my WS-2902 (top) vs closest NY State Mesonet station (bottom) for March 9th:
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

WS-2902 peaked at 633w/m2
Mesonet peaked at 736w/m2

Both experienced the same weather conditions (sunny), the Mesonet station is roughly 10 miles northeast of me.
Wunderground / PWS Weather
Ambient Weather WS-2902A
Ambient WeatherBridge
Ecowitt GW1000
Ecowitt WH31
Ecowitt WH41
Ecowitt WH51 x 2
Ecowitt WH57
Ecowitt WS68

Offline DavidL61

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 11:47:06 AM »
I took a look at other stations in my area and we all have the same UV index readings. So I'm guessing my PWS is working as it should.

Thank you for your help.

anything