Author Topic: The Gauge  (Read 9146 times)

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
The Gauge
« on: June 27, 2009, 09:34:24 AM »
If the inner tube is full and overflowing into the outer tube check the reading on the inner tube before emptying.
I noticed the other day when this happens that the inner tube actually has 1.02 inches. Here I've been cheating my self out of .02 all this time.

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
Re: The Gauge
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 09:44:45 AM »
If the inner tube is full and overflowing into the outer tube check the reading on the inner tube before emptying.
I noticed the other day when this happens that the inner tube actually has 1.02 inches. Here I've been cheating my self out of .02 all this time.
CoCoRaHS put out the word last year that there are some gauges that actually hold more than exactly 1.00 inch.  The manufacturer made a new master mold and the first runs were wrong.  Later measuring cylinders are correct.
Looks like you can trim the notch down to make it contain less water. 
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline LarsWX

• Ewing Weather
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 09:34:08 PM »
I noticed that on mine also, just give it a little shake while its in the outer cylinder to bring the level below 1 inch, write that down and dump, then add what remains. One of these days I will get my dremel tool out and fix mine. 8-)

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 06:17:17 PM »
I noticed that on mine also, just give it a little shake while its in the outer cylinder to bring the level below 1 inch, write that down and dump, then add what remains. One of these days I will get my dremel tool out and fix mine. 8-)

My gauge and inner tube are accurate.  When I remove the funnel from the tube the meniscus sits exactly at one inch.  I suppose I was lucky to receive an accurate mold. 8-)
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 08:20:24 AM »
My instructions for reading the quage when the inner tube has over flowed into the outter guage is as follows.

1 pour the water in the inner tube into the outter tube.

2 then pour the water from the outter tube into the smaller tube until it reads 1".

3 repeat until no water remains in the outter tube.

Be sure to place the funnel cap on top of the small tube. This will make pouring the water from the lage tube into the smaller tube easier.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 08:26:13 AM »
You'll need to put the inner cylinder in a bowl to catch any overflow.  Any spillage is lost forever.  You won't know how much is lost.

Or

Just fill the inner cylinder part full each time to prevent spillage, and add the amounts.
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 12:48:22 PM »
You know it's always a pain to empty the large gauge into the small  one after heavy rain events.
I think I'm going to mark the large gauge so I can just look at  and see the total.
I wonder why they didn't mark the outer gauge to begin with?
I know, they are probably looking for accuracy but I pretty sure it can be done accurately if I take my time.

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 01:25:28 PM »

Over a period of time, say 5-10 years, the outer gauge crazes from UV which would make it virtually impossible to accurately read any measurment markings. Heck, I can't even read the inner tube rain levels through the crazing, it has gotten so bad after over a decade.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 02:31:33 PM »
You have been using it for a decade :shock:
Maybe time for a new one? :-)

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 02:39:45 PM »
You know it's always a pain to empty the large gauge into the small  one after heavy rain events.
I think I'm going to mark the large gauge so I can just look at  and see the total.
I know, they are probably looking for accuracy but I pretty sure it can be done accurately if I take my time.
You should then specify in the precipitation report form comments that you are not using CoCoRaHS rules for measuring.  Run your ideas past your local and regional coordinators.

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 02:46:18 PM »

How many days a year do you get more that 1 inch of rain?

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 03:16:55 PM »

How many days a year do you get more that 1 inch of rain?

It averages about 10.

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 06:35:05 PM »

The funnel and inside tube combination help to magnify the amount to facilitate reading to the nearest hundredth of an inch. It would be difficult reading the outer gauge to this precision.

Bill
CoCoRaHS observer and regional coordinator.
Bill

Offline Pick

• My Weather Station
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 04:28:42 PM »
We get quite a few rain events over 1". I am excited to have a decent, accurate gauge, when mine gets here.

Back in Ohio, where I grew up, anything over an inch could sometimes have disastrous results.

Mike
Vantage Vue
Weather Display 10.37O
CoCoRahs FL-AL-17
KFLHIGHS1

Offline JOE

• Forecaster
    • Centralia IL Weather
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 10:09:50 AM »
Do these gauges break or crack if they freeze?
Joe
www.centraliaweather.com
DW1376
KILCENTR2
K9RJN

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2009, 10:20:14 AM »

Most definitely.  They are polycarbonate.  Usually the bottom of the inner cylinder cracks and leaks.
Tomcj2 says that Weld-On #16 will repair them.  Weld-On epoxies #55, 58 are supposed to work also.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 10:49:57 AM by wxtech »

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 10:36:26 AM »

Yes they do!  My tube gauge that predates CoCoRaHS, has a cracked outer tube base which leaks the inner tube over flow.  Heavy sun crazing over the past decade may have weakened the plastic there and helped the freeze cracking get started though.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2009, 07:37:44 PM »

CoCoRaHS strongly recommends that the inner tube be remove from the outer cylinder if snow or freezing temps are expected.
Besides, you need to melt the snow to provide an equivalent precipitation measurement.  Which reminds me...I have to brush up on that stuff.  :!:

Henry
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline JOE

• Forecaster
    • Centralia IL Weather
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 08:16:34 PM »
I don't have a gauge.  Yet.

Thinking about getting one and joining up.
Joe
www.centraliaweather.com
DW1376
KILCENTR2
K9RJN

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2009, 08:22:29 PM »
I don't have a gauge.  Yet.

Thinking about getting one and joining up.

You will find being a member is rewarding.
I speak the truth!  :grin:

Henry
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2009, 09:10:58 AM »

Yes, definitely.  One of mine did.  Storm came quicker than I thought and I forgot it out.  Inner tube busted.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline Pick

• My Weather Station
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2009, 11:43:13 AM »
Finally got some good rain here, got tired of sending the blank reports. Good news is my Vantage Vue is within 1% of the CoCoRahs gauge!!!! \:D/

Mike
Vantage Vue
Weather Display 10.37O
CoCoRahs FL-AL-17
KFLHIGHS1

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2009, 04:40:47 PM »
 :-) I've been noticing that my OS WMR 968 has been spot on with the CoCoRaHS gauge lately.
That's been a real surprise to me.  I must have installed that tipping gauge very level originally.
 =D>

Henry
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148