Author Topic: WU - Let us know your issues  (Read 188073 times)

Offline boss281

• Senior Contributor
Re: WU - Let us know your issues
« Reply #1575 on: March 28, 2019, 07:19:41 PM »
Wundertodd, in what format would issues raised be most useful? Some basic list of elements to report defects might help bring some order to the chaos...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Weather Underground PWS KMDNEWWI3

Offline WunderTodd (PWS PM)

• Here to listen
    • Weather Underground
« Reply #1576 on: March 28, 2019, 07:21:25 PM »
Where do all our support emails go when we submit them through the site? Do they get sent to some other business? I know many people who have made support requests and got no response.

There is nobody monitoring the support email address...hasn't been for almost two years now.

@WunderTodd (PWS PM)
Then why is the link still out there?!  What exactly is the process users should follow?  Do the company understand the issues with this process?

As stated previously, we do monitor the support email.  Unfortunately, we are do not have dedicated resources at this time to guarantee a reply.

Offline Mike Fitz

« Reply #1577 on: March 28, 2019, 07:23:41 PM »
Something like the Trello board WU had previously set up would be handy again to divide up and list the various bugs/enhancements and provide updates but it seems they shut that down. Right now it's just a mess of various complaints being thrown out over and over again by different folks for the same issues and no way to track the priorities of what's being worked on and what should be/is fixed. It would be nice to see a list of identified bugs/enhancements being worked and the status.

Re-quoting an earlier post...  At least this was helpful in getting a handle on existing defects.

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #1578 on: March 28, 2019, 07:33:30 PM »
To my surprise, "My Devices" no longer shows as down for maintenance.  There are further problems, however.  It shows I have zero devices which is interesting because the weather station does update while not showing on the devices page.  I tried to add a web cam and that doesn't work either.  When using auto selection there is no way to highlight the correct location.  Trying to enter manually, as an address, ends up with "Needs a geolocation" in red.  I didn't bother trying to add the weather station since it is updating, what passes for, normally on the new page.
If it's not a Boerboel it's just a dog.

Offline cbull23

• Student - Meteorology PSU 2022
    • Weather Underground
« Reply #1579 on: March 28, 2019, 07:45:28 PM »
To my surprise, "My Devices" no longer shows as down for maintenance.  There are further problems, however.  It shows I have zero devices which is interesting because the weather station does update while not showing on the devices page.  I tried to add a web cam and that doesn't work either.  When using auto selection there is no way to highlight the correct location.  Trying to enter manually, as an address, ends up with "Needs a geolocation" in red.  I didn't bother trying to add the weather station since it is updating, what passes for, normally on the new page.

For me it lists my weather stations, but it says the one that I got rid of a few years back is online and the one that is uploading currently is offline. That is quite odd. KNJMONTV22 should be the one that is online, not KNJMONTV6.

EDIT: Somehow in the edit settings for my device, it changed my hardware from Davis Vantage Pro2 to Airmar 150wx Ultrasonic. I would recommend to others who can see their devices to make sure you have the correct hardware information, because it seems to have defaulted to the first in the list.

Also the name of our device should bring us to our dashboard just like the previous devices page worked.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 08:00:16 PM by chrispyt2 »
My Sites
WU: KNJMONTV22
CWOP: FW2458
PWS: KNJMONTV22
NWS: FW2458

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #1580 on: March 28, 2019, 07:50:22 PM »
No more high CPU usage now. :)

Nice to be able to delete my old devices too.

Offline rormeister

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #1581 on: March 28, 2019, 07:52:27 PM »
Something like the Trello board WU had previously set up would be handy again to divide up and list the various bugs/enhancements and provide updates but it seems they shut that down. Right now it's just a mess of various complaints being thrown out over and over again by different folks for the same issues and no way to track the priorities of what's being worked on and what should be/is fixed. It would be nice to see a list of identified bugs/enhancements being worked and the status.

Re-quoting an earlier post...  At least this was helpful in getting a handle on existing defects.
Agreed, the Trello board at least could be referred to for where Waldo was. Sadly it was more for the resuscitation of the old site. I'll put my hand up to suggest a new Trello board.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #1582 on: March 28, 2019, 08:11:01 PM »

For me it lists my weather stations, but it says the one that I got rid of a few years back is online and the one that is uploading currently is offline. That is quite odd. KNJMONTV22 should be the one that is online, not KNJMONTV6.

EDIT: Somehow in the edit settings for my device, it changed my hardware from Davis Vantage Pro2 to Airmar 150wx Ultrasonic. I would recommend to others who can see their devices to make sure you have the correct hardware information, because it seems to have defaulted to the first in the list.

Also the name of our device should bring us to our dashboard just like the previous devices page worked.

You are correct. My three devices all show the Airmar 150 instead of the Davis VP2s that I actually use. I was able to correct, but how did this happen? It also shows one of my devices is offline but it isn’t. I liked this webpage in the past as it showed in one spot if my pws were uploading AND the current temperature being reported by that station. Very useful—please add back temperature being reported, if possible.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 08:15:45 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Alaska, The Last American Frontier
  • Forecaster
  • Living in the "Last American Frontier"
« Reply #1583 on: March 28, 2019, 09:59:20 PM »
Thank you at WU for the improvements. My devices page is up and configurable. Keep chipping away.  [tup]

Offline Mike Fitz

« Reply #1584 on: March 28, 2019, 10:13:07 PM »
Just looked at the "My Devices" tab, shows "offline" so went in and looked. There was nothing in the device hardware section (it used to have my device) or the surface type so I filled that in and saved it, still shows as Offline although it's been uploading and showing my data for many years...

When I close the page and then go back to the devices tab the hardware section is blank again.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 10:27:00 PM by Mike Fitz »

Offline jwreynoldson

« Reply #1585 on: March 28, 2019, 10:21:07 PM »
Personally, I'd be loathe to make any changes to device PWS information yet until the WU folks have had a bit more time to get the system stable - in case I broke something.  It's very possible that the missing/incorrect information may be restored in time.

It's nice to see some incremental improvement in the bug count though.  Keep up the good fight, "Us"!

John R  (IFLINDER3, BALNARR2)

Just looked at the "My Devices" tab, shows "offline" so went in and looked. There was nothing in the device hardware section (it used to have my device) or the surface type so I filled that in and saved it, still shows as Offline although it's been uploading and showing my data for many years...

Offline farcus

« Reply #1586 on: March 28, 2019, 11:19:15 PM »
few issues I'm having . . .  one a potential security issue . . .
For about a week now I haven't been able to log into the website. I have been receiving the message when trying to log in "email address not found". I knew the account was still active as my station is still reporting.
Just to test things I tried logging in with an old email address I used to use . . .  and was able to log into my account and view my pws.
Security issue? I'm loathe to make any changes in case I get locked out of my account completely.

The other is . . . (as others have reported) my pws shows as offline - although it is not and still updates regularly and shows on maps and in the wunderground app.

another issue is - for a while I was unable to view temperatures in Celsius. This seems to be mostly fixed now - but the map still stubbornly only shows temperatures in Fahrenheit.

Offline mdv

« Reply #1587 on: March 29, 2019, 12:58:25 AM »
First time poster, having just joined this forum since it seems to be the best (possibly the only) way to air issues with the WU website changes.

As a part-time farmer where our farm is 200 km distant from where I live, I rely very much on being able to access my PWS data via the web, and WU has served me well in this regard ... up until the latest website changes. I agree with all previous comments about retaining the features that used to be there but are not now there - please bring them back.

I will not add anything to the list of issues already identified by other forum members, as I trust WU is onto these.

But I have some additional issues - some of which might be a consequence of my PWS being located outside the USA - these include:
1. My PWS is located on a rural farm - not in a city. WU is currently reporting my city as New South Wales (which is a state of Australia), and reports my state as "N/A".
There does not seem to be any way to change my PWS location data through text input to reflect the actual location. I would like to put the name of our rural neigbourhood (which has a postcode / zipcode) as the city but I cannot. If I type the name (Abercrombie River) of my postcode (2795), it is not recognised by WU database - no, my Abercrombie is not in Canada or Scotland.
2. My PWS dashboard location shows my location latitude to be in the northern hemisphere, when it should be degrees SOUTH. Also PWS elevation is 812m (or 2667 Ft) - WU shows it as 2667M. However, the Weather forecast page for my PWS location shows all of this information correctly, suggesting this is a simple bug.
3. I no longer have the hyperlink for weather forecast at my PWS location - where did it go? If I click on my "City/State" I am directed to the weather forecast web page for a site some 300km away Issue fixed while I typed - all good now, although clicking on my PWS "City" takes me via that other PWS Forecast web page for 5 seconds before bringing up my PWS forecast page. I think this might be caused by many PWS stations in the state of New South Wales (bigger than the state of Texas) having WU record New South Wales as the city. [See comment 1. above]

I do hope that WU can fix these issues and the others already identified by others, as I depend on being able to remotely monitor the current and historical weather not only at my PWS but also at other PWS locations in the same region.

Offline noctilucent

« Reply #1588 on: March 29, 2019, 02:12:41 AM »
I had to join just to get some insight into what the hell was going on with my PWS on WU.
Please, this has been a long time forum where weather enthusiasts have been able to share and learn, and enjoy this hobby in a whole range of services and products in a respectful and independent way.  After some personal follow up by members of this forum Weather Underground gracefully agreed to come on and get first hand feed back on their issues.  Most people have continued to be respectful but recently some people are making it a sounding board.  This is not what wxforum has been about for me.  I wish the members, new and old, would treat each other and our partners with respect, even if they may not be getting or hearing everything they want.

+1.  The WU folks have been very professional and courteous in dealing with some pretty negative/unpleasant feedback from people.

Offline mdv

« Reply #1589 on: March 29, 2019, 02:37:32 AM »
Another "inches vs mm" mismatch in the 7-hour rainfall/snow forecast.

Offline ALRUI

« Reply #1590 on: March 29, 2019, 04:56:05 AM »
OK, so for years my PWS has been uploading happily to WU and since the upgrade nothing. I tried using a different browser (was using FireFox) and now at least I can get to my profile and I see my PWS status is offline yet nothing in weather display has been changed and it shows data transfers. Do I have to re-register my station now or start over???

Offline Ray Proudfoot

• Forecaster
    • Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #1591 on: March 29, 2019, 05:47:24 AM »
Bug Report from my station in England that has been uploading data without issue for nearly 10 years.

This relates to the Weather History section at the bottom of this page. https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ISTOCKPO4

Temp High shows 6C. Wrong. It's currently 8C and the temp graph shows that.
Temp Low shows 5C. Wrong. The low since midnight was 0.7C.
Dew Point shows 4C for Low, HIgh and Average. Wrong. Low was -1C, High was 6C.
Humidity shows 91 High and 90 Low. Wrong. High is 100%, Low was 84%.
Wind Speed Gust shows High of 6km/h and Low of 6km/h. Wrong. High was 8mph (11km/h).
Pressure High shows 1031.66, Low 1031.29. Wrong. High is 1037.29, Low was 1031.53.

I could understand if one or two of these were wrong but just about all of them are wrong. How can you receive my data and make such a mess of interpreting it?

If this new software was tested then all I can say is you need better beta testers.

Offline AboutAndAround

« Reply #1592 on: March 29, 2019, 07:40:47 AM »
I have my criticisms about the current WU page and how they're handling it, but I'd suggest not being aggressive, I think we're very lucky already we have a couple of WU devs reading this forum, even if it's not an official communication channel. Many other companies wouldn't even care to respond.

Offline catdon

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #1593 on: March 29, 2019, 08:31:39 AM »
Its probably been mentioned already, but I'd suggest not changing any station, software etc. settings that have worked for you in the past, if your having problems. Make sure everything is working on WU's end first...however long that may take.
Don
Staten Island, NY

Offline Ajward7976

« Reply #1594 on: March 29, 2019, 09:06:49 AM »
I believe good points are being made now. Respectful and good points. I believe my biggest issue is the same as most.... loss of rapid fire. That was so important. In fact, the quicker the better.

Offline Felix1

• PhD Engineering Physics
« Reply #1595 on: March 29, 2019, 09:39:03 AM »
Without wishing to insult nine year-olds it looks like it has been designed by a nine year old!  :roll:

I wouldn't be too hard on the WU team, I suspect that's what is being taught in web design classes nowadays (simple design, lots of white space, the idea that visual complexity is negatively correlated with website appeal, plus simplicity promotes quick download speeds). 

The question is, what's the majority of the target audience? Is it weather geeks like us who want every possible weather parameter shown and graphed and colored and so on; or, might the majority just want a quick look at the current temp and a short forecast so they know how to dress for the day? If the latter, the team has hit the mark. And I have no problem uploading my data to support that effort, it's not like it costs me anything. But then I maintain a website with a more traditional set of "weather geek" pages with archives going back years. The URL is provided to local residents who have an interest in enhanced weather details for things like flower plantings, gardening, lawn irrigation, etc.

Offline Jjm457

« Reply #1596 on: March 29, 2019, 11:30:28 AM »
I tried editing Station or webcam on site to associate webcam with station and  vice versa, but there is no save button. The only save button is at the bottom left, but it does not update the save!  Any help appreciated!

Offline Cocute

« Reply #1597 on: March 29, 2019, 11:37:02 AM »
I think that WU with these changes aims to scare people to lighten their servers.

I think we'll have to look for alternatives.

It is difficult to leave everything as it was and the new version will be made and tested on alternative links?
. It's total nonsense,

It only occurs to me that the designers of the previous interface have not yielded the design and  is necessarily have to redo it.

Offline jackman

• Senior Contributor
    • Echo Pines WX Station
« Reply #1598 on: March 29, 2019, 11:43:04 AM »
There's all kinds of issues with WU. I especially like this message for my webcam, "Offline (updated 737147 days ago)".

Offline rormeister

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #1599 on: March 29, 2019, 11:58:19 AM »
I think that WU with these changes aims to scare people to lighten their servers.

I think we'll have to look for alternatives.

It is difficult to leave everything as it was and the new version will be made and tested on alternative links?
. It's total nonsense,

It only occurs to me that the designers of the previous interface have not yielded the design and  is necessarily have to redo it.

Over a year ago, WU informed station owners that they were moving the system to new servers. This was a mandate by IBM who took ownership of WU. It was not cost effective to keep the old (and likely failing) systems operational. Think of trying to run applications designed for Mac’s on a new Windows server system. They won’t work. It’s not a matter of the previous designers not relinquishing the code, in fact it was available the whole time. It just outlasted it’s useful life (read: had massive coronary disease).

Be patient and eat popcorn. Works for me  [tup]