Author Topic: Darksky  (Read 6118 times)

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
Darksky
« on: September 22, 2016, 03:35:15 PM »
Haven't seen this site mentioned before. Very interesting....

https://darksky.net/

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: Darksky
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 05:27:09 PM »
That is interesting. Does that program look at your IP address then display weather conditions for your area? Pretty neat.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 06:03:31 PM »
I doubt it uses IP.  Would be nice if it used Google location services.  Maybe the Android app does?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 07:57:34 PM »
I've been using it on my iPhone for a year or so. 

They also pick up the baro reading from your phone if it has one, but I'm not sure how they're using that data.

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 08:35:07 PM »
I discovered it about 4 days ago and I am already experimenting with their Api  :-)

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 10:33:07 PM »
This is a nice find!  They allow iframe embedding - actually encourage it by providing a code-generator - and it has a nice, fairly clean interface. I set the default to 'wind' manually since the code-generator ignored my request.

The default location is set by coordinates, easily enough.

You can use '?sce=view' to get my source for the Saratoga template.  Your latitude and longitude from 'Settings.php' should control the default location.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 11:31:42 PM »
I have been a registered user for several years http://forecast.io/#/f/42.9536552,-81.4348861/ and got their email on changing the name and API usage this Tuesday...
Hi there,
[/size][/color]
You’re receiving this email since you have an account registered with us at https://developer.forecast.io/.[/size][/font]
[/size][/color]
Sorry for the long radio silence: we’ve been working very hard on a lot of new things, and we're finally starting to roll them out! As API developers, we wanted to let you know about them.
[/size][/color]
First, we’re consolidating our branding under the Dark Sky name, getting rid of Forecast.io entirely. We’ve found that people often don’t realize the two are related, and this causes a lot of confusion.
[/size][/color]
Also, a lot of people seem to pronounce it “forecasteoh” and not “forecast dot eye oh”, and that drives us bonkers!
[/size][/color]
This means a few things for you as a developer:
[/size][/color]
The previous endpoint will continue to work, but please change your software as soon as possible.
[/size][/color]
Secondly, we’ve rewritten our developer site from the ground-up. It should now be much easier to use, and will allow us to add new developer features much more quickly and easily than we were able to before.
[/size][/color]
Expect further updates in the near future, and please let us know if you run into any bugs!
[/size][/color]
Thirdly, we hate bothering you with emails, so we’ve created a Dark Sky Status Blog that you can use to keep on top of any updates or outages with the API. You can find it at http://status.darksky.net/.[/size][/font]
[/size][/color]
Finally, we wanted to let you know that we’re getting very close to finishing up work on a brand-new weather forecasting model, which should drastically improve our global accuracy.
[/size][/color]
We’ll let you know when it’s ready, so stay tuned.
[/size][/color]
Thanks for your continued support!
[/size][/color]
Adam, Jay, and the Dark Sky Team <3[/l]

[/size][/color]
[/size][/color]
Paul

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 07:26:47 AM »
This is an interesting site.  I looked around it some but can't seem to find any information on where they are getting their data.  On their map feature a site is listed very close to mine but I don't believe theri is a station at that location.  Any ideas on where their data is coming from?

CW3699

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 08:06:56 AM »
I am already working with their api and based on that it looks like yr.no ;)

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 01:44:20 PM »
When I first started to use forecastIO it would not recognize my station's exact location but picked another address a few streets away in our village.  It is still the same way now, so not from my station and the historical goes back quite a ways.

Paul