Author Topic: World Weather Websites  (Read 11768 times)

Offline youngros

• Contributor
    • Sans Souci Weather
World Weather Websites
« on: September 12, 2014, 06:50:58 AM »
Due to Steve's problems with his database and hosting I have offered to take over the hosting of World Weather Websites.
Because of the issues that Steve had had with the hosting, the database is no longer accessible, therefore I do not know who all the members are/were, so if you were a member previously you will need to re sign up.
World Weather Websites is open to all no matter what weather station, software or where in the world you are.
To sign up please follow the link www.mad-weather.com/topsites
I would like to thank Steve and anyone else who hosts a topsite list for giving us an insight into other websites around the world.

Rosalind

Offline Ian.

• Forecaster
    • Chatteris Weather
Re: World Weather Websites
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 07:46:31 AM »
I'm struggling to get the form to accept my entry:

Is their a complexity rule for the password (min numbers of letters, must have number etc)

Can't get the right answer for the purpose of the list

Help :-)
CWOP - DW3371
PWS - ICAMBRID16
https://www.chatteris.biz

Offline youngros

• Contributor
    • Sans Souci Weather
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 07:50:26 AM »
I have a 14 character password with a mixture of letters, numbers and symbols, it doesn't say in the setup if there is a restriction.
try weather!

Offline meteo-saint-brevin

• Senior Contributor
    • Météo Saint-Brevin
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 03:46:17 PM »
Hi Rosalind,
Many thanks to continue the job.
Best regards,
Marcel
Marcel Le Jeune F6DOW - Saint-Brevin-les-Pins - Pays de la Loire - France
www.meteo-saint-brevin.fr
Vantage Pro2 6163EU - VirtualVP, Cumulus, WeatherLink
Wifi cam Reolink RLC-410W - Blue Iris - Blue Iris tools

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 09:54:53 AM »
I would like to add my thanks, Rosalind, for your continuation of this project.  Much appreciated.

My apologies to those whose sites appear here in order of page views.  It seems that someone placed a link on Facebook to my Auroras page that obviously relies on NOAA Space Weather Prediction Center's Ovation for its graphics.  The hits went off the charts last night!  Tonight might see another anomalous viewership as well.

Over time and as more sites rejoin the Topsites Database my site will gradually move back down to its more natural place in the 30's or 40's.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 11:53:38 AM »
I wasted time trying to get signed up this morning. It wouldn't accept my password, no matter how long, or complex I made it.  The signature banner it rejected and kept asking me to answer what the site was about at the bottom.  I ran out of things to write. I am sure there exists a magic bullet here?

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 01:12:14 PM »
try weather!
I missed it on my first try as well, but then using 'weather' the new signup worked perfect.  Still need to get the new code added to my home page.

Paul

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 02:29:56 PM »
i made several changes and eventually got it submitted . I had to avoid a weather banner because it rejected that.   can you pm me and I'll send you the weather banner information?

Offline vinesweather

• Senior Contributor
    • The Vines Weather
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 06:03:41 AM »
I would like to add my thanks, Rosalind, for your continuation of this project.  Much appreciated.

My apologies to those whose sites appear here in order of page views.  It seems that someone placed a link on Facebook to my Auroras page that obviously relies on NOAA Space Weather Prediction Center's Ovation for its graphics.  The hits went off the charts last night!  Tonight might see another anomalous viewership as well.

Over time and as more sites rejoin the Topsites Database my site will gradually move back down to its more natural place in the 30's or 40's.

LOL! I thought is was gold that you got more than 3k hits!?

Good stuff!

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 07:18:33 AM »
try weather!
I missed it on my first try as well, but then using 'weather' the new signup worked perfect.  Still need to get the new code added to my home page.

Paul

Same here with the misses. What threw me a curve was the security question being in the same Captcha box with the question asking what the list was about. I kept trying answers like 'text and numbers', 'digits with letters', etc. Had it locked in my head it was referring to the Captcha right above it. I need to think 'outside the box' more often. #-o

Offline GlosWeather

• Gloucestershire Weather
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 08:13:36 AM »
Hi all, I would just like to thank Rosalind again for taking on the World Weather Topsites listing.
If you've not yet registered, please do and get new code and a new logo for your website where you once had one from the Cotswold Weather hosting.
The password is given above if you're struggling.....
Many thanks
Steve @ Cotswold Weather

Offline youngros

• Contributor
    • Sans Souci Weather
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 07:36:41 AM »
Thanks to all of you who have joined up. So far after the weekend we have nearly 40 members.
I have emailed quite a few sites as they had previously been signed up with Steve, and a few with Lars still have the old link there. It gave me a chance to look at a few sites out there. I also had fun with certain security questions. Also a few sites didn't have any means, that I could see, of being contacted. Also some emails bounced.
This isn't about who has the most amount of hits but about all the different sites out there. There are those that are based on the Saratoga Template and some on the newer Leuven Template and some that do their own thing and mix and match. There are also some really interesting sites out there, including a couple of schools that have their own station. Take a look and see what everyone else is doing.
I always find my hits go up when we have weather warnings, and we have a few at the moment, heat, high winds, rain and rough seas. It is building up out there and going very dark.
Look forward to seeing more of you join up and thanks for all the support so far.
Rosalind

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 04:02:07 PM »
Just signed-up. Now waiting for approval email. I think I was on this one or one that was almost identical to it many years ago.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 12:13:32 AM »
Thanks Rosalind!  I just finished inserting the code and looks like I'm up and running.   8-)
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2014, 11:46:46 AM »
Signed up yesterday... Still waiting...

Offline CamarilloWX

• CamarilloWX
  • Senior Contributor
    • Camarillo Weather
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2014, 06:17:07 PM »
I never got an email. I logged in with my username and password that I created when I signed up. After logging in there was a link to generate the code.
Eric

Offline youngros

• Contributor
    • Sans Souci Weather
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2014, 04:42:04 AM »
The replies are auto generated so it maybe went in your spam. One or two of the sign up emails did the same for me.

Offline Ian.

• Forecaster
    • Chatteris Weather
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2014, 12:34:34 PM »
Probably a daft question - but I'll ask it anyway.

Is their a way that the weather counters work recording the number of site visitors without having to display the weather counter box? (I can then check directly with the counters site to see numbers.)

Ta

Ian
CWOP - DW3371
PWS - ICAMBRID16
https://www.chatteris.biz

Offline youngros

• Contributor
    • Sans Souci Weather
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 12:48:02 PM »
I think you have to display the counter box otherwise it doesn't work.

Offline vinesweather

• Senior Contributor
    • The Vines Weather
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2014, 06:35:06 AM »
What time do the daily hits reset please?

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2014, 10:25:24 AM »
Tried 3 times and got 3 password fails. Giving up.

Offline youngros

• Contributor
    • Sans Souci Weather
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2014, 10:39:09 AM »
The reset is 12am GMT. After a while it should even itself out for everyone as we are all in different time zones.
There is a captcha and a question to answer you need to do both and the answer is "weather"

Rosalind

Offline vinesweather

• Senior Contributor
    • The Vines Weather
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2015, 03:19:32 PM »
It appears that sites that has adverts on their sites are get a huge amount of hits. Not criticising, just curious, does this have any bearing on stats?

Offline youngros

• Contributor
    • Sans Souci Weather
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2015, 07:35:35 AM »
I don't know and I don't see adverts because I use Adblock but I am sure there is a connection. Why would someone pay to advertise if the site isn't getting a lot of hits.
I suspect that reciprocal links play a big part and that will of course get you more hits.
The figures on my hits and with Google Analytics are different. Google shows that most of mine are return visitors and I know a lot of people regularly use my site and either come to it directly or via Google search, not so many are referrals.
I never built the site for anyone but me so it was a bit of a surprise to find out how many were using it.
Someone may know more about how the hits work.

Offline vinesweather

• Senior Contributor
    • The Vines Weather
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2015, 02:56:04 PM »
Cheers mate. I am not that bothered where my site sits in rankings. (Well a little bit)  :-) but I live in a pretty remote area and the town only has 5500 people though our area covers a large area, I do see hits from all over the place.

Just curious. Some of my local users asked about placing ads on my site and I'm not really into that, even it makes a bit of coin. It's not what the site is about.

Cheers for the great job your doing.

Chris

anything