Author Topic: Weatherlink configuration questions  (Read 459 times)

Offline MR-Weather

Weatherlink configuration questions
« on: February 12, 2024, 03:35:30 PM »
Hi,

I just got a Davis Vantage Vue station with the WeatherLink console (new model) and got it running without problems.  Already created the account in WeatherLink and can see my station's info there.

Now I am trying to get the weather data in my PC and followed the instructions on this page: https://support.davisinstruments.com/article/vey2gonz7j-can-i-download-my-data-from-weather-link-cloud

I downloaded the WeatherLink 6.0.5 software and installed on my PC.  However, when I try to get the info populated there (click File > Download) I am getting an "Invalid Account Information" error message.

I followed the software manual instructions with the following information:
Setup > Station Config : I put my station's name and model Vantage Vue (did not check anything else there)

Setup > Communications Port : check TCP/IP following the manual's instructions, check Web Download (also following the manual's instructions) and input the Device ID and the password I use to access my WeatherLink account online.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks!

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Weatherlink configuration questions
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2024, 04:24:27 PM »
To the best of my knowledge, the Web Download method only works if you are using a v1-compatible upload device to upload data to weatherlink.com. This will typically involve use of one of the legacy loggers. Uploads from eg the 6313 console are handled differently and hence their data at weatherlink.com is only accessible via the v2 API. Unfortunately Weatherlink for Windows does not support the v2 API at all (having been effectively out of development for 5 years or more).

Software like CumulusMX will be compatible but you will need a Pro subscription at wl.com IIRC.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 05:24:02 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2024, 06:13:09 PM »
Yep the manipulative subscription syndrome  :roll:

Offline MR-Weather

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2024, 12:50:57 PM »
To the best of my knowledge, the Web Download method only works if you are using a v1-compatible upload device to upload data to weatherlink.com. This will typically involve use of one of the legacy loggers. Uploads from eg the 6313 console are handled differently and hence their data at weatherlink.com is only accessible via the v2 API. Unfortunately Weatherlink for Windows does not support the v2 API at all (having been effectively out of development for 5 years or more).

Software like CumulusMX will be compatible but you will need a Pro subscription at wl.com IIRC.

Thanks! 

So, do I need to buy another piece of hardware to avoid the subscription?  I'd rather have all the data in my PC so I can view the way I want and how I want.   The Android phone/tablet app leaves a lot to be desired, so I'm not planning to use it regularly.

If so, what do I need to get?

Offline MR-Weather

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2024, 12:52:02 PM »
Yep the manipulative subscription syndrome  :roll:

Yep.  I'm not fond of that stuff and things "in the cloud".

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2024, 01:13:31 PM »
you need another receiver for the ISS data plus data logger (or some equivalent devices and functionality) that offers a local API through which a local computer can connect directly. there are several options here and it does also depend exactly which local software you plan to use, but for example:

1. an Envoy unit plus eg a Davis USB logger or WiFi logger
2. a 6100 WeatherLink live unit
3. A Meteobridge unit of some type

1 probably offers the most flexibility but may not be the cheapest. But there are pros and cons to all options and you need to do some research vs your actual data requirements.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2024, 02:44:52 PM »
As you already have a console/display (for what it's worth) then a Davis Envoy + MBNanoSD would upload to WeatherLink.com without subscription from which you could download to WeatherLinkPC and/or download directly from the Envoy to WLPC. Yeah some call WeatherLinkPC old and outdated but hey it works just fine, pity some of the new Davis stuff is not as resilient.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2024, 03:08:20 PM »
I get the impression that the OP wants to run software on a local computer for their primary data handling to extend the data handling that the 6313 console already offers (and maybe to have the flexibility to change software if the first choice program loses its appeal). In that case,

1. The choice of software would be probably from Weatherlink for Windows (dated UI but still perfectly functional), CumulusMX, Weather Display or weewx. Pros and cons to each and also depending on available computer and OS.

2. If the 6313 console is already uploading to weatherlink.com then this second receiver can be dedicated solely to local data handling and so doesn't need to upload to wl.com.

3. So in this scenario MB Nano would possibly (?) be overkill and even an Envoy + a WFL DIY logger would provide a simple data feed to the computer, probably with a serial-to-USB adapter. so all the data handling for this unit would be handled in software on the computer.

But ultimately it depends on what the OP wants in detail out of the system, what local computer they might have in mind, budget etc.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 03:10:23 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

anything