Author Topic: Where do you go to get Weather News?  (Read 5256 times)

Offline Brendan

Where do you go to get Weather News?
« on: April 18, 2009, 03:49:31 AM »
The subject says it all. I'm curious.

Brendan

Offline ALITTLEweird1

• Mark
  • Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • North Bend Weather
Re: Where do you go to get Weather News?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 12:19:14 PM »
Local TV station and the National Weather Service
"Nature can do without man, but man cannot do without nature."

Software: WeatherDisplay
Hardware: Davis VP2 + VP2 Solar + VP2 UV + Lightning Detector + Logitech Webcam + Soil temp + Soil Moisture

Offline TorH

• Forecaster
    • Været på Fauske
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 12:48:58 PM »
Tv, radio, www.yr.no and www.met.no  8-)
Davis Vantage PRO2 wireless
VWS V14.00 p103, WD ver.10.37N, WL 5.8.2, VVP.
WeatherFlash
DW1549
WeatherUnderground: INORDLAN14
http://bjornli.net                     

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 01:07:48 PM »
There is only one direct source for weather information; your battery powered emergency weather radio.
http://www.weather.gov/nwr
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ffc/html/nwrfacts.pdf
TV and public radio stations just repeat from NWS and private sources. 
Never base any activity on weather information obtained from the Internet.
Internet sites may not have the latest information.  Internet sites will be the first source to fail in a natural or environmental situation.  Internet sites will continue to show the information before the hazard occured and may not get updated with the latest information.  Do not rely on streaming weather radio provided over the Internet.
The NOAA weather/all hazards radio system provides information on all types of hazards including natural (such as earthquakes or avalanches), environmental (such as chemical releases or oil spills), and public safety (such as AMBER alerts or 911 Telephone outages).
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 01:37:25 PM »
Brendan is/was/going-to-be in Indonesia.  Limits NOAA/NWS as his source of info, unless he gets a really big antenna or some friendly atmospheric bounces.

Anyone know, if there an international standard?  I know countries dont need and some probably dont have a national weather service.  At least US/Canada are on the same stanadard for frequencies and codes.  Interested to hear from accross the pond on this one?

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline TorH

• Forecaster
    • Været på Fauske
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 08:39:31 AM »
There is only one direct source for weather information; your battery powered emergency weather radio.

Well not here in Norway. We don't have that service or need it  ;)

So www.met.no is one place here where they create weatherforecast for the public here(for tv and radio), www.yr.no is another one which is www.met.no and the national brodcast television (NRK) who is cooperate.
We also have another national weather broadcast company here, it is Storm weather center ( http://www2.storm.no/ ).

Those one is the officical weather sources here in Norway.
Davis Vantage PRO2 wireless
VWS V14.00 p103, WD ver.10.37N, WL 5.8.2, VVP.
WeatherFlash
DW1549
WeatherUnderground: INORDLAN14
http://bjornli.net                     

blackjack52

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 11:33:21 AM »
Whenever severe wx is approaching, I switch to Huntsville, AL< CH19 News. This station only employs certified mets. With any news station, you have to verify they're certified, especially if you live in TOR Alley, otherwise, you get someone who repeats what NWS says. We get cell phone alerts from them before the radio. This station directs a spotter net, tells you when to get into your scardy hole, and gives an all clear. They utilize UAHs newest RADAR and know how to interpolate returns.
I get alerts from Stormlab. If you're severe wx aware and know how to read storm relative velocities, then you're one up on the rest of the pop.
I also get alerts from my lightning detector. If correctly ranged, you'll know when there's incoming.
So,
1. Cert Met whom you get a warm fuzzy with for incoming. 1st ALERT
2. NOAA Radio w/ SAME.
3. Stormlab.   1st ALERT
4. Lightning det.   1st ALERT
5. Cell.

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 02:27:43 PM »
I like the headline section of accuweather.com for most weather events, and Dr. Masters' blog in the tropical/hurricane section of wunderground.com for hurricane tracking.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 02:57:07 AM »

TV and public radio stations just repeat from NWS and private sources.

Never base any activity on weather information obtained from the Internet.
Internet sites may not have the latest information.  Internet sites will be the first source to fail in a natural or environmental situation.  Internet sites will continue to show the information before the hazard occured and may not get updated with the latest information. 

The NOAA weather/all hazards radio system provides information on all types of hazards including natural (such as earthquakes or avalanches), environmental (such as chemical releases or oil spills), and public safety (such as AMBER alerts or 911 Telephone outages).

Wow.  Don't even know where to begin.  NOAA radio is NOT the only source, nor the most current.  They are recorded messages and may, or may not get updated in real time in severe weather situations.  The warning activations are current, but these are also disseminated in many other ways.

Local TV is your best source if you have power and a responsible TV weather team that stays on top of things.

Not all WFOs use all available products, so the CEM or 911 outages may not be used in your area.

In our recent widespread ice storm, internet was about all we did have.  Telephones, some cell phones and cable TV were all out along with power.  Some cell phones worked and people were able to get web updates or cell phone alerts and information.  Our internet is wireless to a nearby town and although it was down for a day or so, it was back up long before TV, power and the affected cell providers.

SPC and NHC keep their sites updated frequently for severe weather information as does WU, weather.com and IntelliCast.

Responsible local TV does not merely repeat NOAA information.  TV Mets gather info from various sources and create their own forecasts targetted for their local area.  Some are much better than others.

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 07:49:19 PM »
I make my own weather news. Lol. :grin:

I also get it from CNN, TWC and NWS.
Weather in Rio Rancho, New Mexico:

Offline dsscheibe

• Scott's Weather Station Cactus Wren, Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 07:38:36 PM »
I'd have to agree, I make my own weather reporting.  My website is updated every 10 minutes, have a Wunderground Rapid Fire flash page updated every 45 seconds if you need it faster.  Have many PWS weather stations around me in the Phoenix area. Mine is the most accurate in the local subclimate.  The next nearest one has a daytime heating issue and is always a few degrees higher than mine.  Currently it is showing 105, mine is 101 and most the rest around us 100-102.  NOAA only updates around 10 to the hour.  If I had HD TV I could watch one of the subchannels that is weather all the time.  I watch channel 10 and 15 for weather, they both have certified forecasters. If I want to know right now I look at VWS on my computer or the Davis Pro2 consol hanging on the wall next to it. Weather radio is good if you want to know what's going on in the region.

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?lat=33.51500&lon=-112.14800&zoom=11&type=hyb&units=english&rad=1&rad.num=1&rad.spd=25&rad.opa=70&rad.stm=0&rad.type=N0R&rad.smo=1&rad.mrg=0&wxsn=1&wxsn.mode=tw&svr=0&cams=0&sat=0&riv=0&mm=0&hur=0&fire=0&tor=0&ndfd=0&pix=0

Mine would be the one in the middle of the map with the lower temperature KAZPHOEN41.
Scott
Davis Pro2 Plus daytime aspirated, wired
Weather Display

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 10:19:27 PM »
Take a look at my website under "Weather News". It's a summary of RSS feeds that scrolls automatically.

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 10:49:59 PM »
Take a look at my website under "Weather News". It's a summary of RSS feeds that scrolls automatically.
Steve, lots of wx info there.
I like Dagmar Midcap on CBS46 Atlanta.  Good wx reports and she's very pleasing to look at.
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 01:13:19 PM »
 :lol: I agree with that!!!!

anything