Author Topic: WeatherLink IP  (Read 1769 times)

Offline chooka777

WeatherLink IP
« on: January 20, 2019, 10:36:51 PM »
Hi guys I'm in need of some help!
I recently moved house and also recently got a new nbn contract with a new modem. My problem is that after setting everything up and plugging my WeatherLink ip logger into the modem I can no longer see any data transferred onto weather link website and neither weather underground. I've tried everything to Re start the console and logger but I can't resolve the issue. The led light on the logger is flashing so I'm sure that isn't broken. I downloaded an IP address finder and I can't even pick up that with the search!??

Anyone know what the issue might be? I'm pretty sure the problem lies with locating it and my modem? I'm pretty sure it's a static ip but then agsin I'm not the smartest with computers and need some help :-(

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: WeatherLink IP
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 11:20:14 PM »
Does certainly sound like an IP issue? If you had previously set a static IP based on the old router then this new one may not be in the same range? If you still have the old router, then reconnect it to WLIP and reset the WLIP to DHCP otherwise you are going to have some fun.

If you know what your old router settings were then you may be able to emulate a direct PC connection to get into it and reset to default. 

Offline chooka777

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 11:22:32 PM »
Unfortunately I don't have my old router, I've got no idea what to do next :/

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 11:29:04 PM »
Any old software (like WeatherLink) where you may have set the IP?

Offline chooka777

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 11:39:04 PM »
Yeah I've still got the software but it no longer can find the logger, even if I type in the DID or search for it, still can't locate it. Strange

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 12:58:05 AM »
No it's not strange, it's just doing what happens when a different router/Gateway is used with a static IP. 

Offline chooka777

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 01:42:31 AM »
How do I change back matt if you got any pointers?

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 02:12:57 AM »
If you had an idea of what the IP was set to then you could reconfigure a PC to possibly connect or you could use any router and reconfigure like the old one but if you don't know what that was then you have a rather difficult issue. I just can't think of anything else at the moment, this is a bit of a trap this one. 

Offline chooka777

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 03:03:39 AM »
I see, this sucks. I had it written down on a piece of paper a long time ago that I just found but putting it in the URL bar it came up nothing :(

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 04:33:19 AM »
I see, this sucks. I had it written down on a piece of paper a long time ago that I just found but putting it in the URL bar it came up nothing :(

Then do not loose that piece of paper. NBN routers appear to be of the 192.168. 0.xxx address, some of the Telstra Siemens had an address of 10.0.0.xxx and that is where the twain will never meet. I wouldn't be changing anything with the NBN router unless you really and absolutely know what you are doing as you could loose contact with everything.

Knowing the IP address of what the WLIP should be then you may be able to configure a PC within the same block? 

Offline chooka777

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 04:43:03 AM »
Yeah it was 10.0.0.37 or something like that but now nothing shows up, is there a way of resetting the logger or WeatherLink ip accounts

Offline chooka777

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2019, 04:59:01 AM »
I can't understand why won't the ip scanner pick it up though?? It's plugged into the router for Christ sake

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2019, 05:36:05 AM »
I can't understand why won't the ip scanner pick it up though?? It's plugged into the router for Christ sake

Networks don't work like that. Some questions?

- how comfortable are you with changing a PC's network adapter settings?
- do you have more than 1 PC or a spare? just in case something goes pear shape and you end up in a worse situation (you do this at your own risk)
- what operating system are you using?
- do you recall what the previous router/modem was, which carrier was it with?   

Offline chooka777

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2019, 05:56:01 AM »
This is all to much out of my knowledge I think, I just have a laptop (hp) also got a mac computer aswell, and all the modems have just been the basic ones Telstra put out with their bundles

Offline Brientim

• Contributor
WeatherLink IP
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2019, 06:21:08 AM »
Traditional Telstra router used to use 192.168.1.0/24.

You can download the latest version WeatherLink software through WeatherLink.com. Go to to the account And then under Account Information ^ Computer Software.

The User Manual is @ https://www.davisinstruments.com/product_documents/weather/manuals/07395-210_GSG_06510_6555.pdf

Some more guidance
https://www.vernier.com/til/3817/
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 06:24:50 AM by Brientim »

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2019, 06:35:04 AM »
The HP will work but if you are not comfortable digging in settings then I don't want you to crash a perfectly good laptop. The WLIP can be defaulted but it just needs a little network knowledge with what to do and a little confidence in doing that. The following is a rough generic outline and I am assuming quite a bit as I really don't know how your system is setup, your operating system, really nothing at all about it and could get you into a whole heap of more trouble, but anyway

- WLIP is assumed to be 10.0.0.xxx (whatever is on your piece of paper)
- Gateway is maybe 10.0.0.254 (maybe, could be, but some hindsight says it might be?)

- WLIP needs to be disconnected from the network and power on
- PC needs to be disconnected from the network, cable & WiFi, restart it in any case
- In the Local Area Connection Properties window open the IPv4 Properties
- There are generally 2 options, Obtain an IP address automatically, or, Use the following IP address, I have no idea what option you are using but whatever it is you need to remember it as you will need to reset all this when done
- Use the following IP address and in the IP Address window put something like 10.0.0.20 (this will be the IP of the laptop), in the subnet mask box put 255.255.255.0, in the Default Gateway box put 10.0.0.254
- Ok or save and close out the open windows
- Connect the laptop DIRECT (no network) to the WLIP via Ethernet cable
- reboot the laptop
- open a browser, type in your IP setting of WLIP 10.0.0.xxx etc, enter and if the settings are correct then you should pull up the WLIP page, click the Obtain an IP address Automatically radio button and Save IP Settings
- If your WLIP FW is pre 112 then it's saved, if you have FW: 113 then you will need to provide your Device Key to complete the change
- remove any internal batteries from the console, power off the console/WLIP, cable the WLIP back to your router/network and power it back up

If some assumptions were right then you should see the WLIP on the network now? If not then something was/is just not quite right in the process or settings and probably mainly in the Default Gateway? However 10.0.0.254 is probably a better chance/choice than 10.0.0.1 but picking this exactly may be the unknown.

- Reverse out the network changes on the laptop, connect laptop back to network, shutdown/restart and that's it.

Your call.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2019, 06:38:47 AM »
Traditional Telstra router used to use 192.168.1.0/24.

You can download the latest version WeatherLink software through WeatherLink.com. Go to to the account And then under Account Information ^ Computer Software.

But you won't be able to do anything with it, not that you would want to at this stage as the WLIP and PC are on 2 totally different LANS/Gateways

Many of the old "Telstra" and "Bigpond" badged routers from many providers used 10.0.0.xxx and stuff like the Bigpond 7.2 Gateway used a default IP of 10.0.0.138, the Siemens also used 10.0.0.xxx but default gateway IP was 10.0.0.254, there is certainly nothing standard with Telstra but NBN does use 192.168.0.xxx 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 06:44:10 AM by Mattk »

Offline chooka777

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2019, 07:31:01 AM »
this all sound way to complicated for me to even try get around, i was fumbling around with my modem settings and it also cant even recognise the logger pluged into one of the spare ethernet ports, maybe its the logger itself?

im gob smacked how im now in this situation,when the steps for setting it up once you first buy the logger is so easy. i have no idea where i went wrong

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2019, 07:56:45 AM »
i have no idea where i went wrong

Well, it doesn't help your present predicament much, but two things went wrong:

1. IMO Davis really should have provided an easier mechanism to return the logger to factory settings (but since the IP logger is being discontinued I can't see that happening now);

2. You shouldn't have set a static IP address - there are usually no material benefits to doing so and - as you've discovered - you can end up in a bad place if eg you should change your router. My advice is for IP logger users NEVER to set a static IP (at least, not unless you really know what you're doing with networks etc).

All that said, it's actually not that difficult to follow Mattk's instructions and to remedy the situation. Like most of these things, the instructions may seem rather dense and tricky when written out, but actually just take them methodically and it all should work. But might be safer if you have a friend or contact who might have more experience with Windows networking.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 08:14:38 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2019, 08:35:42 AM »
this all sound way to complicated for me to even try get around, i was fumbling around with my modem settings and it also cant even recognise the logger pluged into one of the spare ethernet ports, maybe its the logger itself?
im gob smacked how im now in this situation,when the steps for setting it up once you first buy the logger is so easy. i have no idea where i went wrong

If you are familiar with https://www.teamviewer.com/ I could try to help you remotely.
For this will be needed:
Laptop Windows PC .
Ehternet cable connection LAPTOP <-> ROUTER
WiFi connection LAPTOP <-> ROUTER
Ethernet cable connection LOGGER <-> ROUTER

simple: laptop, logger, router, 2x ethernet cable

Offline Brientim

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2019, 02:12:15 PM »
Below is a link to instructions for setting the IP address on you MAC and Windows 10

Neither the WIndows or MACOS are difficult and they won’t break your computer. It is effectively setting a static IP to the same subnet that your WeatherLink IP temporarily and then changing it back to auto (dhcp).

http://www.macinstruct.com/node/550

https://pureinfotech.com/set-static-ip-address-windows-10/

The WeatherLink Live is coming but it’s price point is AU will be probably be around $500 so I know I won’t be rushing out to replace my current devices.

Offline chooka777

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2019, 02:59:17 PM »
Ok great, I'll give this a try this afternoon.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2019, 03:34:48 PM »
This tool will help with network scanning. It's very good.
http://www.advanced-ip-scanner.com

Offline chooka777

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2019, 03:41:48 PM »
Yeah I used that exact scanner and it couldn't find the logger? If that can't find it then I don't know what will  #-o

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2019, 03:46:24 PM »
Yeah I used that exact scanner and it couldn't find the logger? If that can't find it then I don't know what will  #-o

Scanner is perfect, but you need to set your network card to work in proper network first.
In fact you have made yourself some big work if you don't remember IP address of your manual set IP logger.
You won't be able to repair that without proper tools.