Author Topic: CoCoRaHS ETo  (Read 1938 times)

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
CoCoRaHS ETo
« on: May 08, 2015, 08:06:11 AM »

From CoCoRaHS:
Measuring Reference ET . . . learn how you can be part of this national effort!

In 2012 CoCoRaHS launched a new opportunity for our observers to track the water cycle -- the literal "ups and downs" of water so to speak (over 100 observers participated). We are at it again for our third consecutive year. Since our observers already measure precipitation as it arrives at their locations (the down), we thought many would be interested to see how much of this water returns to the atmosphere? This is called evapotranspiration (going back up). For certain CoCoRaHS observers participating in 2015 will be a great opportunity to provide data for a whole new set of applications used in drought monitoring, irrigation and yard watering, remote sensing (satellite) and weather forecasting to name just a few.

There are several qualifications needed to become a CoCoRaHS observer for Reference ET, so don't feel bad if you are unable to participate. There will also be several things to consider on your part as you apply:
•1) We are looking for "ideal" locations (open exposures with surrounding vegetation that is representative of your area) and highly motivated observers (you have reported on a consistent daily basis for CoCoRaHS over time).
•2) You are up to the challenge of taking on a more complex daily observation.
•3) You, or a sponsoring organization are willing to make the substantial investment in purchasing this delicate instrument, the ETgage (which sells for around $222 at www.weatheryourway.com, plus tax and shipping).

Some of you have already signed up, we thank you for your interest. If you have yet to do so and are up for this challenge, please contact Zach at Info@cocorahs.org  with a photo of the site where you will place your gauge and he will follow up with you.

For those of you who want to learn more about Evapotranspiration and the "up side" of the water cycle, please check out the CoCoRaHS ET page at: "ETo"

« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 08:11:25 AM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: CoCoRaHS ETo
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 08:26:27 AM »
At least the bird landed on the rain gauge, and not the ET gage. I guess this indicates that the bird spikes work...

Is that your set-up, or a stock photo?

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 09:10:24 AM »
My set up.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 01:26:39 PM »
A bit too expensive for me, 222 .   I wish I could use the ET from the Vantage Pro Plus unit.  Oh well, I am already sending  in rain data.

Offline robereno

• Descanso/Sherilton Valley Weather
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 06:04:50 PM »
Bumping this topic.

Today I installed an ET gage on my property in the San Diego back-country. Instead of being an agricultural area it would be described as Southern California Chaparral. It’s an area prone to wildfires, Santa Anna winds, and years of drought. http://www.creekbed.org/weather/etgage.htm
One more way of measuring the potential for combustion.

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 07:09:07 PM »
 =D>  Exactly.... and not only that. in the second year I had it installed, it paid for itself in unnecessary lawn watering bills. You can determine when to water, and how much after a bit of experience with it... 2 years ago, it saved 4 trees... I knew I would have to give them extra water. before they showed signs... My neighbor 2 doors down didn't heed my advice, and lost a whole fencerow of 20' Pines that didn't make it through the winter...

Welcome to the ETo club!

Mike
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 07:56:00 AM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline robereno

• Descanso/Sherilton Valley Weather
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 12:29:26 AM »
On campus it was perfect for adjusting irrigation schedules. The grounds workers over-watered with the general consensus being that more is better. But on the computer managed systems our ET gage was used to adjust schedules automatically. Then, just to make sure we knew we were getting our money’s worth, it printed out a page showing the gallonage conserved and dollars saved. Luckily for me, it did the math.

As for my application here in the back-country, I’m still looking into how ET data is used. Our local electric company set up automated weather stations so they can monitor conditions and turn our power off when fire danger is high. Not sure if ET data is even consulted when they make that decision.

Cheers

anything